1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFLAG Meetings

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jazzy33, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Jazzy33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Can someone kind of give me an idea of what to expect at a PFLAG meeting. I'm thinking about going to my first one tomorrow and I'd like to know kind of what to expect. Is it just sitting and listening or are you kind of expected to talk and participate? Thank you.:icon_bigg

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    PFLAG apparently varies chapter to chapter.

At the one I've attended it seems like the session is split in two parts. One part is a special program (say, guest speaker), and the other part is discussion time. The discussion time is pretty much optional. Being a bit of a long-winded motor mouth at times (as some of my posts here suggest), I happily can babble away. Others, however, don't really say anything.

3. biggayguy

In the local chapter it varies from meeting to meeting. They always have a meet & greet before the meeting. Sometimes they have a guest speaker and sometimes they just do chapter business. They always try to make everyone comfortable. After the end of the meetings I got lots of support about my decision to come out. They took me under their wings like one of their own children. (I was worried that my own mom would never speak to me again.)

4. Jazzy33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for your help. I attended the meeting today and it was a great experience.