1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intense fear of meeting people face-to-face you met online?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by teluphone, Jun 17, 2013.

1. teluphone

Im planning on meeting someone ive been chatting on a app for the past 3 months face-to-face tomorrow (he offered me his hotel room to stay for the night since i need to get up for work early tomorrow morning) and i can't help to feel like i'm making a very big mistake considering of the dangers i'm putting myself in and i do read a lot of profiles on serial and spree killers for leisure which further reinforce that fear/danger. I was wondering is my fear very irrational or i'm just afraid to take risk when it comes to meeting new people.

2. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well the likelihood that you'll be meeting with a serial killer is probably pretty low, so that wouldn't be the first thing I'd worry about. However, there is always some risk associated with the unknown, so I'd be careful about who you meet and where, especially. It may not always be a "dangerous" situation, but it's not always a good idea either.

3 months isn't that long. Unless you've talked to him over the phone and/or seen real pictures of him that allows you to verify his identity, I wouldn't jump into a face-to-face meeting. If you do decide to do it, I'd say a hotel room is not a good place to meet or to end up at after a meeting. Go to a public place where there are lots of people around so that you can make sure you won't be in any kind of danger by being isolated.

I don't have any experience with this sort of thing, but this is just how I feel is the best way to go about these situations.

3. teluphone

He gave me his full name, his picture, his number, his email and facebook account, everything checks out. I just worry because he was the one who suggested meeting up

yeah i requested we meet somewhere public first before the hotel room

i also have 2 years of martial arts training (primarily taekwondo and aikido) and dunno if i should bring along a self-defence weapon just in case

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A hotelroom cause you need to get up early? You actually plan on sleeping there?
    Why can´t you just meet over dinner, or better even, lunch. In a public place.
    Call it off.
    One little thing in your drink and you´ll be helpless. Even with your martial art training.
    Brought weapons can be used against you. Don´t do that.
    But basicly: Don´t enter a room with him.

You sort of make it clear that it is important that you can get up early next morning.
    That just doesn´t go with "hotelroom meeting" that usually ends in long nights...

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meet him. But find another place to stay. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. teluphone

I just called off the meetup, feigning sickness from the haze thats been plaguing Singapore lately.

i'm not really experienced with this whole thing considering i've always been the paranoid about meeting people in general. I also bring my own drinks in my bag as well as not bring any personal ID cards (besides my bus card) and emptied out majority of my cash on hand.

it sucks to be an extremely annoying paranoid introverted person. I feel like there's something wrong with me with being overly cautious

7. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No there is nothing wrong with you.
    These kind of meetings can go wrong, so one should always be cautious.

(Says someone who saw a guy and ended in his hotelroom minutes later, but hey, my parents were staying in the same hotel and gave me the green light...I´m still with him.)

#7 Boyfriend, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  8. Corradino

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Teluphone,

I used to be quite an introverted person however you will be surprised how in time things will change.

Arranging to meet somebody you've met on an app is quite dangerous however I would do it in a public place where there are always be people around if you need support. Yes there are some strange people out there, however there are a lot of genuine people out there too and you shouldn't let this put you off. Perhaps arrange to Skype with this person and I would definitely talk to them more before meeting them. Sadly in the gay world there is a tendency to rush into sex and I wouldn't let your feelings of not being out cloud your judgement. Let me know how it goes I wish you all the best x