1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help moving to a new state

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Cassindra Starlight, Jun 18, 2013.

1. My situation is getting a bit crazy. I was supposed to go to university in Montana, but that turned out to be too expensive. I was supposed to go to community college in California (my home state), but that relied on living with Grandma, and my Uncle is doing every single possible thing he can to prevent this (I could rant for hours about getting lectured on my worth as a person by that deadbeat), and I think he'll be able to talk Grandma out of it. I've decided that I want to start my new life somewhere I haven't lived before, so I can avoid familial drama and solidify the fact that I am becoming a new person in more ways than one.

As for where I go, there are three big requirements I have. It has to be highly LGBT friendly, it has to be a city, and it has to be reasonably close to the coast (it doesn't have to be on the coast, but I have to be able to get there without too much difficulty). Right now, I'm looking at Boston, Seattle, Honolulu, and Portland (both of them). I'm open to suggestions for other cities and states.

My big problem is finding a job that will accept a telephone interview instead of a face to face interview, and finding a job in general. I like the idea of employment agencies, but I'm having trouble finding a good one for somebody with my training (Job Corps trade diploma in Office Administration).

Does anyone have any advice, places to look at, or employment agencies for me? I'd greatly appreciate it.

#1 Cassindra Starlight, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2013
  2. On another forum, I've heard a lot about how, while it is not coastal, Vegas is LGBT friendly and CHEAP. Does anyone here have experience with Vegas? How transgender friendly is it? I get the impression from Hollywood that it's the sort of place that would be totally chill with that. If this is true, and it's that cheap, it would be a perfect place to live for a few years while I transition into a female body and get some college education. Then I could leave for Seattle or Boston.

3. fairlyfey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hawaii is really expensive, so unless you have a friend who'll let you mooch for a while then forget it.

I've actually thought about moving to the Capitol Hill area in Seattle myself cuz I heard it's cheap, has a decent LGBT population, and it's thousands of miles away from my family. You'd have to check on apartment prices, but hey, if you're still thinking about uni or just a gayborhood then it's worth checking out. I still want to go someday...

Usually cities like NYC, San Francisco, LA, Seattle, Portland (at least the one in Washington), etc. are really LGBT friendly, but there are a lot of exceptions to this. I would never consider walking around Staten Island cuz I like my skin staying on my body. It really breaks down by the neighborhood, so just cuz a city is considered LGBT friendly doesn't mean the whole place is safe or enlightened. Just use your head. I've heard that Portland, WA is one of the most secular cities in the states, so if that's appealing to you then it's worth considering.

I've also thought about Toronto too cuz it's a beautiful city with a thriving LGBT scene and practically non-existant crime rate, but it sounds like you want to be somewhere warm or still within the USA. I know you said you want to stick to the coasts, but you shouldn't overlook Chicago. At least it's something to consider, and you know, da Bears. :grin:

Hope that helps, lot's of love!

-Fey

---------- Post added 19th Jun 2013 at 10:05 PM ----------

P.S.
    A quick follow up, I don't know too much about Vegas, but it has a reputation for being a super shady seedy city. A lot of unpleasent stuff goes on there so be careful where you go and don't do anything really reckless... :frowning2:

Whatever you do, if you move there then make a point of never dating tourists cuz they're just there to get shit-faced and lose their money. You would just be some local fling to them so they can have a good trip to sin city; don't let someone use you...'less of course you're using them and don't want something long term at the moment. :thumbsup:

Good Luck.