1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice On How To Handle Teen LGBT Bullying?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BearyBoo99, Jun 18, 2013.

1. BearyBoo99

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Okay so there is a new guy at my school and he is extremely Homophobic. Ever since he came i seem to be getting worst and worst questions like
    "Why don't u like the D?"
    "Can't u do us a favour and kill yourself?"
    "No wonder nobody likes u Homo!"
    And other horrible questions. They have drained me out and i've been skipping school a lot. I just plainly feel horrible and don't no where else to turn.. I have 3 true friends at school and even they leave me alone to be bullied a lot.
    Does anyone have any advice and don't tell me to talk to the principal because they are also Homophobic.
    I don't wanna skip school anymore and i just want to be myself again with out having to worry.
    Any advice please?? :/ :icon_sad:

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm really sorry to hear this.

Your parents (if they are cool)? A teacher (not principal)? The school district office? A pastor (if open minded)?

Is this a really conservative area? It sounds like it might be. Still, there's got to be somebody who will go to bat for you.

3. How is the police department in the area where you live? Is it homophobic as well? If the principal isn't going to handle this, the police can come in on a harassment complaint and give a very stern lesson in the acceptability of such behavior.

4. BearyBoo99

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Sadly Its just the school i go to :/ It seems that where i live gets all the LGBT community becauses its sorta safe :"/

My parents i have told then but they always seem to forget about it.. Plus if i tell them they won't listen so i don't bother that much with them .-. It really sucks :3

---------- Post added 19th Jun 2013 at 10:20 AM ----------

Not so sure about the police.. I haven't really had to talk to them before. Its kinda awkward to go in there and find out if they can't help.. I guess that would be one of my last resources :/

5. Yea, the police can be pretty intimidating to deal with.

Try searching on line for any local LGBT support groups. They might be able to get you some counseling, deal with the principal or police on your behalf, or even bring to bear some legal firepower if it hits that level. It would be the best ally you can have in this case.

6. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    Turn it around on this person. Bring to their attention that a lot of times the most loud homophobic people are in fact gay themselves and covering it up.

7. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay so he's homophobic so you can ask him Why don't you like D right back. Because if he's straight he doesn't care for it either. Or you could say maybe I don't have the same tastes as you. And tell him no one likes jerks when he says no one likes you homo. Or pretend he doesn't exist.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also consider a social service agency or a GLBT support group which may not be in your immediate area but could advise you. Put out some feelers before figuring out which support system you can and would use.

9. Ritor365

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Next time, ask him "Really? Is your life so boring and uneventful you need to turn to bullying me for entertainment? I'm so sorry for you." and walk away. You should also find someone to tell about this. Never suffer in silence.

10. TKM

TKM

I'm not "out" at school but one of my friends are and there is this kid who does the same things to him. And it sucks and I'm sorry you have to go through that but what my friend does is a) walks away and doesn't even associate with him b) he surrounds him self with people(like your 3 friends) and they back him up, listen if your friends leave you to fend for yourself and don't stick up for you, you need to tell them how you feel and why you need them to help you. All they need to do is say "hey dude stop talking to my friend like that it's not funny." I would like to say if they don't stick up for you they're not your real friends but lets be honest it's hard to make friends at school and getting rid of the ones you have already can be even worse than staying friends with them you know?

11. Amerigo

12. AAASAS

Understand that your Highschool diploma is going to be your ticket out of there and don't let anyone stand in your way.

The best thing to do is shrug it off and understand highschool is not an accurate representation of how the world works.

A gay kid at my workplace got bullied his first day and someone who had been there for months was fired on the spot. Try to get your bully to say this infront of an authority figure; like a teacher, this way you aren't telling on them and you are improving your chances of it stopping.

I am pretty sure the gay kid at my work intentionally agitated the kid who was bullying him infront of my boss so it could be resolved.

People are only going to tell you to tell an adult because they are the only ones that can help unless you help yourself and brush it off. You cannot rely on people your age to help you in a situation like this , they are too immature.