1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Anxiety

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MerBear, Jun 20, 2013.

1. MerBear

I think, i'm finally getting over my social anxiety because my friend raven asked me if i wanted to go to the movies and i didn't get freaked out and accept and today my dad is dropping me off at the library and i usually hate being in places like that alone. Now, the only thing i need to work on i guess, is mothers.

You see, I don't like meeting my friend's mothers or having their moms take me somewhere.....Mother's do not like me. Don't believe me? Ask 2 of the moms who almost put a restraining order on me. Yeah and all the other moms just dislike me because i look like a trouble maker. I avoid mothers for this very reason. they give me high anxiety.

But another thing, I refuse to ever to do is a sleepover. I hate sleepovers. Wayyy too awkward for me.

So what other steps should I do to lessen my social anxiety?

2. memyself

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The real key is to not care what people think. I really think that's the core of it. You can't control the people around you, but you can control what you think. And your thoughts are the only thoughts you can hear, so why should anyone else's thoughts matter? And unless you can read minds like Edward (i'm such a dork...) then the things you think people are thinking about you probably aren't even accurate.

And look at it from the other perspective. Whenever you see a stranger in public and you think something judgmental about them, how much have you affected their life? Most likely not at all.

Also, think to yourself what your life would be like and what would change if you always cared all the time what people thought. Then think about what life would be like if you never cared what people thought. Nothing would changed except you'd be more comfortable and relaxed.

Hope this helped :slight_smile:

3. justjade

The best advice I ever got for dealing with social anxiety came from the guy who was training me while I was in the life insurance business. He said the three most liberating words I've ever heard in my life: "People don't care". A random passer-by is generally not going to think about you past the time he/she sees you. Everyone has their own stuff going on, and they're not going to remember anything that you think seemed awkward about the way you behaved once they go home or to work or whatever. You have nothing to worry about. If someone is judging you, it's very likely that they won't say anything, so you shouldn't worry about it. Just be yourself and be happy. You need to take care of you. Don't worry about what people think. What do you owe them that you need their validation? I'm guessing not a damn thing. Just remember that. I wish you the best. :slight_smile:

4. MerBear

i don't care what people think unless it's someone i look up to
    (someone i'm close with
    i dont look around scared for my life about what people think of me.

the whole mother thing, i just have a bad experience with them and plus i don't like meeting parents either way. it has nothing really to do with what they think of me.