1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I respond to my parents saying negative things about gays?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by vhrebels, Jun 24, 2013.

1. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Hi. So, usually when I am around my parents they say negative things about gay people. They think that the LGBT community is corrupting young children and are trying to destroy the holiness of marriage. They definitely don't have the best opinions about homosexuals. And their comments really make me feel bad about myself. I feel like I'm inadequate and I really don't know how to respond. Sometimes when they say this I say that I agree with their opinions, because I don't want them to suspect that I'm gay or a liberal. I would just keep doing what I'm doing, but it really upsets me that they dislike homosexuals so much. What should I do when they rant about gay rights? I really don't want my dad to know that I'm gay, so I really don't want to take too strong of a stance. So, how can I try to change their minds? If I can't, how can I not let it bother me?

2. Amerigo

(*hug*) it's tough, i know, i've heard it all from my parents, from the whole gang. the thing is, i'm not at all concerned with their views on the matter, i'm concerned on how it impacts me. it must be frightening to be gay in such an environment. all i can hope for is your parents come to realise that their son, whom they love, is worthy of that love, gay or straight. i'm not going to push you to come out and see what happens, they may not change for you, but for now, lay low i guess. in the past i've tried to talk about LGBT rights and related topics and spoke as though i was not directly associated with "the gays", but after a while it get tedious. now i just let them be their ignorant selves and hope for the best.

3. Gen

Gen

Well, if you feel that they will react very poorly to speculations of your sexuality or your coming out, then I would honestly recommend that you wait until you will be able to go off to college or move out before you confront them. Safety and well being always needs to take priority.

As far as dealing with it, I would just remember that they believe those things because that is what they have learned from their judgemental environment. It doesn't mean that you are any less of a person. You are definitely adequate and amazing the way you are. As long as you have complete confidence in that, no one will ever be able to tear it down. (*hug*)