1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To get over past regrets and appreciate the present and look forward to the future?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by teluphone, Jun 25, 2013.

1. teluphone

I can't help but constantly feel like the terrible mistakes i made in the past (Not coming out, living in Singapore, scoring better in grades, choosing a better university [possibly pursue another major], should've been more outgoing, should've been more maturer and serious about my choice at an earlier stage etc.) would put an enormous dent on my future (finding employmentm, career prospects, happiness, love, a place to live etc.) and can't help but feel there's nothing but gloom and doom with respect to these very things because my past actions have basically caused me to strip myself of my happiness in the present which has led me to constantly be depressed and compare with others who seem more successful and happier than i am. I'm not entirely sure if i am also envious of those very people.

I was wondering whether anyone had some advice for me to stop looking back into the past and make the best of what one has in the present in order to be well prepared with what the future holds for me.

Sorry if i sounded like i was rambling. Just had to get this off my chest.

2. mwaffles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: To get over past regrets and appreciate the present and look forward to the futur

It's kind of hard to give advice about this. You just have to not worry with your future, nor your past. You have to worry about the present. What will you do next? What are your plans for now? If you worry about either your past or future it'll turn your life a nightmare, because you don't know what will happen in 3 years, and you can't change what happened 3 years ago. Just try to focus on the present and be happy about it. Make decisions that you want to do, and the future will come and you will eventually do whatever is that you have to do. Things will be great, just give time and don't worry about it.

3. teluphone

Re: To get over past regrets and appreciate the present and look forward to the futur

Thanks for the advice, sometimes its really hard to let go of all those regrets that keep building up as time passes by.

I'm also glad you took the decency to post out of all the people who read my post

4. rjrh20

I was taught to think of life like a car. The past being the back window, the window is smaller because you aren't supposed to look back. The windshield being bigger because you are always supposed to look forward. I always thought the present would be the inside of the car because it is usually some what empty, therefore you have plenty of space to fill in, just like you have plenty of time to use in the present. So don't stress the past, use the present and make space for no regrets, and go in to the future with a smile.

#4 rjrh20, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  5. Naomilly92

As your life progresses, you'll start to feel less guilty/regretful about opportunities that have past you by