1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Group of Guys insulted me

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by IrishLad93, Jun 26, 2013.

1. IrishLad93

I was walking into Target and a group of guys started insulting me and called me quite a few names under the homophobic book. I was shocked as this is my first time coming face to face with such blatant hostility since coming out a year ago, so I just ignored them and basically tried to run away! I feel so angry now. This is so unfair... I cant even go into Target now without being ridiculed and made to feel like shit?
    I ended up feeling pretty down.

I know its their insecurities and closed mindedness that is the problem here, not my sexuality but I guess its just pretty hurtful.

Any advice on what to do in this situation? I've heard from a few others at work that you should call the police and report them. Ugh so angry!

2. LD579

Hm... Just know that the hateful words come from an ignorant and/or malevolent place. You shouldn't let if affect you because they're just not worth the time or trouble. My sympathies, though, and my apologies for not having any more helpful words.

3. David2231

David2231 Guest

There are so many people living with this, although you may not be able to ignore it right now you'll get over it. Think about it this way: there are millions of people and trillions to come that are born like us, and those idiots that insulted you can't see that. They're just that, idiots. You might as well pity them and just move on because that's what I do, they're all ignorant and full of hatred.

4. Amerigo

policia! (*hug*)

5. KrsRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Here in the Philippines we get that a lot... There is also a situation here when a gay was walking then he passed by some drunk man then they just stripped his dress ;(

6. Sardonic

Look at it this way. They just failed the test of mattering to you. They could have known a really cool person and gotten along with him, but now they've missed that opportunity.

7. photoguy93

I'd probably have gone to security or the front desk. That might be a way out for next time. No matter if they aren't super gay friendly where you are, yelling "fag" or any other shit like that is tasteless, and target is usually a very nice place. Especially with how viral things get, they do not want to be known as the anti gay place. No offense, but I would expect this behavior from Walmart.

Walking away is a totally fine defense - just know that you did nothing wrong and you shouldn't have to leave.

Edit - I thought they were yelling and being rude - even at that, if they have that kind of disposition who knows what they are doing there.

8. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's the reason I roam in groups, normally, and I would be packing if I were out alone w/ my boyfriend.

I'd say ''stand up to them'' but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone here, because I don't know you, if you can handle yourself or so-what. Just better to ignore them, for your own safety, but do NOT stand down to them, else They'll never leave you alone, and you lose your dignity.

again, not condoning violence or being a 'hero' (I don't want hollared at by another mod). That's what I'd do though, and 7/10 times they will back down, tail tucked. The ones that roam in packs giggling to each other are stupid type, and usually cowardly. Just blow on them and they tip over... :grin:

---------- Post added 27th Jun 2013 at 02:04 PM ----------

*Have courage, and stand up when it's necessary, but don't jeopardize your own safety and don't resort to unwarranted violence.

#8 Shadowsettler, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  9. Ethan132

@OP Don't let what people say hurt you. They don't know you. Be strong, I know you can. c:

10. robotman

aww dude, I am sorry that happened to you, all I can say is don't let it effect you, I mean there are people like that out their... The funniest thing is that if they weren't in a group surrounding their friends they probably wouldn't have even said anything to you. People love to show off when they are in a group, just ignore it and be yourself, don't let some idiots get you down... I know it must be upsetting but you will be fine, as long as you are happy that is all that counts!!

11. sexyalex

Firstly, I'd like to say in this day and age these things happening are just unfortunate I am terribly sorry for what happened.

I used to get that a lot, as I DO live ont he most homophobic place on earth (Jamaica, just google it. A nuh me seh suh? A TIMES seh suh, darling!)
    However, If it is staff, I would report them and if its customers, i'd turn around, look them in the eye with my famous evil glare and then when they have drawn everyone's attention with their stupidity, i'd proceed to put back the groceries and waltz out the store ( of course in a very angry and dramatic manner).

I can;t tell you the amount of times i've been ran down by store managers, with apologies and offering me discounts and stuff. lol.

Not saying customer service is EVERYWHERE. But, you did the right thing NOT to answer them. Answering them is never a good idea. It only fuels the fire. I know it hurts, but it gets better and easier and old with time.

12. rjrh20

If they are calling you things like fag and gay simply say thank you for pointing out the obvious or yes that's me.

13. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    this is very true, and even if you call them out, in small groups, they'll just kick a little dirt up or make excuses.

14. whyme10

Shadow settler I agree completely with you. When my boyfriend and I go out I am always carrying. In these days with such hostility like in New York gays being beaten to death I don't leave home without it. That said I hope I never have to use it but I will to prevent us being killed. I would rather fight in court than be dead. :grin: