1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where can I read unbiased political summaries?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by limeslam, Jun 27, 2013.

1. limeslam

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi everyone,

I've recently become more interested in all political matters involving the United States. Are there any unbiased websites where I can be briefed and read up on all current issues (FoPo, civil rights, immigration, etc.) so I can read other news sources (Newspaper, CNN, etc.) so I can have my own developed opinion? I feel like if I just start reading the Newspaper I will have many holes in my knowledge which could affect my judgement and understanding. Thanks!

2. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Everyone source has biases. Some are more biased than others, but it's still important to keep in mind that bias is always there and to make sure you know ahead of time what the bias is. I'd say it's more important to read from a variety of sources, keeping their flaws in mind, than to pick what is perceived to be the most unbiased.

Christian Science Monitor is (or, at least, used to be) a surprisingly good source. I haven't read it in a few years, however.

Foreign media outlets tend to have different biases than American ones. I would definitely recommend adding BBC, Deutsche Welle, and Al Jazeera to your rounds to get a different perspective on things and get better at spotting other sources' biases.

There's also the wire services -- AP, Reuters, and AFP. Most other news sources pick up their stories from them. While they typically won't give you a huge amount of background information, if all you want is the facts, they're generally reliable.

Most of these won't give you political summaries, per se, but if you make a habit of reading them regularly, you should be able to pick up on the issues.

3. TimTomC

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Being bias is just human nature.

4. Gallatin

All news coverage is inevitably biased, even if just a tiny bit, because let's be honest, it's humans writing the stories, and try as we might, we're all a bit biased one way or the other. The best one I can think of is probably Politico. The BBC is a good source for international news, as is the CBC if you want to get the perspective of our neighbors to the north. The New York Times and the Washington Post, though both newspapers, are very well respected publications. Real Clear Politics compiles stories and opinion pieces from all across the web and the political spectrum, so that can be a good website if you want to see what different sides of the aisle are saying about certain issues.

#4 Gallatin, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For the US, definitely check out the PBS Newshour, Frontline, Charlie Rose / Tavis Smiley, Washington Week, Need to Know, Religion and Ethics Newsweekly. +1 to the foreign news outlets mentioned above. In addition, if you have a world news channel (like MHz), which are often popping up over the air, you should also look for NHK world. I personally have BBC news as my homepage because it's so good. The more you focus on these new sources, the more you'll start to get disgusted by the cable news sources that favors sensationalized stories.

6. srslywtf

Yeah everyone is biased.

I recommend reading one fairly middle of the road source, and one from each extreme.. then you can kind of see what remains consistent throughout and what has been tinted by the different biases.

7. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

The best thing to do is read a lot of perspectives on the same thing. That's really the only way to get all the information.

8. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a political news junkie, POLITICO.com, CNN.com, and The Washington Post are very good sites for politics I think. If you ever want specific information on bills in Congress, check out Thomas.gov or Congress.gov.

But as someone already mentioned, reading different viewpoints is best (though, I'd suggest staying away from Fox) because every journalist/writer is at least slightly biased. It's impossible to be completely bipartisan in politics.

9. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are no such summaries. All politics is biased, no matter how hard the writer may try to not be.

10. limeslam

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Alright. Thanks everyone! I actually found that reading the present day section in my US History textbook has helped out a lot.

11. biggayguy

Left or Right, everyone believes they are close to the Center.