1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What College/University to attend?!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by tryhtwfr, Jun 28, 2013.

1. tryhtwfr

Hi,

Well I've seen 5 colleges in the past few days which have all been amazing! These 5 colleges are mini-colleges part of a massive college. The college consists of about 30 mini colleges inside. One of them is all that I wished for, supporting LGBT, massive LGBT community, beautiful, I have a crush on one of the undergraduates there (he is so fit!), they have a annaul queer fest, very liberal ethos and just a great college overall. HOWEVER, after meeting the subject tutor for Law, I cried! His communication skills are terrible and his accent is really hard to interpret (indian). No disrespect to him for being a lecturer at the number 1 college/university in uk but it's just if I do Law, he's going to be teaching me for 3/4 of the 3 years. Furthermore, there is another college part of the massive college which is so rich and beautiful and very lush but I don't know. I just loved the first college because it had such a liberal ethos and they were the first ever college out of the 30 to fly a rainbow flag in 1000 years. These colleges AREEE OLD! However, all the schooling is the same around all colleges and this university is known for its prestigious academic teaching but I feel like I won't learn as well from him.

What do you guys think I should go for or do?

2. Holly

I think, at the end of the day, you go to University to get your degree, and that is what the majority of your time will be taken up by. If the lecturer isn't good, I would contemplate finding another college? I'm sure many have reasonably open views about the LGBT society. All the universities I've looked at have had a pretty decent Pride society.

3. SchwulIstCool

Dans mes rĂªves de New York et des blazers...
    One thing to remember is is that there is going to be a loooooooot of self study, so you're not totally dependent on this guy in order to get your degree. Having said that, if you get a feeling in your bones that this is not a good place for you, sometimes you should probably listen to it. However, if you're basing your ideas of where you want to go on the LGBT socs, then I'd encourage you to re-prioritise. Of course, go somewhere where you're going to feel safe and happy to be gay openly, but don't go just because 'its such a gay place omfg yay!'. Course should come first. :slight_smile:

4. Ethan132

Me personally, I think that you should decide on which school for whatever feels right to you. Picking a school is a really touchy-feely sort of thing that you have to learn for yourself. Just go to a place that you think that you would be happy at and everything should turn out well for you. Me personally, I am going to a school I feel comfortable with and that is really what matters to me.