1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion on a song lyric

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by dude00, Jun 28, 2013.

1. dude00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys,
    I actually had a question that may be open for debate. Last night, my (straight) buddy and I were driving back from an event him and I attended and on a CD he burned was a song called “Villuminati” by J.Cole. I won’t begin to say that I enjoy his style of music that much, but obviously my friend does. He knows I’m openly gay and has been my best friends and someone I can rely on when ever I’ve needed someone to talk to when I down. Anyway, I knew of this song because both him and I are part of a mystical group called “Rosicrucians” and the Illuminati is related in a way of teachings. He’s told me of the song and how some “big name” individuals speak of them in their songs etc. It was the first time I heard the song and right in the middle of it, I heard the word “faggot” several times and was really surprised he not only played the song, but had it loud in the car where others could hear it as well. Once I heard it, I Shazamed the song and looked up the lyrics. He doesn’t make any habit of using this word in front of me and always asks if he hears someone else say it if I’m comfortable, but he didn’t bring it up this time, and I don’t know if he noticed it or perhaps the wording of the term being used was “okay” but I wanted to get your opinion on it. Essentially, I wanted to know if I should bring it up with him or why he would play it in the car with me in it.

My verbal AK slay faggots
    And I don’t mean no disrespect whenever I say faggot, okay faggot
    Don’t be so sensitive
    If you want to get fucked in the ass
    That’s between you and whoever else’s dick it is
    Pause, maybe that line was too far
    Just a little joke to show how homophobic you are
    And who can blame ya
    Boy Meets World

So reading this, am I being sensitive? Is what was said being taken out of “context?” If I compare this to the comedian Louis C.K and his skit on the word faggot (which I don’t really have an issue with) it may sound like the same thing. Anyway, I enjoy bringing up things like this with him as it gives us reason for discussion on the subject and it gives me an “inside” to his thinking as a straight guy and gives him an understanding on subjects he didn’t previously know or give second thought to. Just one subject of a couple I may ask you guys on since I don’t have any physical gay friends to ask, but I know I have EC friends to ask :slight_smile:
    Thanks folks!!

2. MerBear

no offense but those lyrics dont make sense in my head. They are confusing....and kind of dumb but whatever. different things set us off at times and its not our fault what sets us off. I mean, i dont think you're being too sensitive

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not so much offensive as all over the map.

My verbal AK slay faggots
    And I don’t mean no disrespect whenever I say faggot

So he uses what is commonly agreed to be the harshest slang term for gay men, but then steps back a bit, and sounds like he's going to explain his terminology. Fine.

okay faggot
    Don’t be so sensitive

No, wait, on second thought, he's not going to explain. If you're offended (he seems to be saying), it's because you're too easily offended.

If you want to get fucked in the ass
    That’s between you and whoever else’s dick it is

This is a strange combination of acceptance and ignorance. He equates being gay (or "being a faggot") with "wanting to get fucked in the ass". Which would be like me saying "You're a rapper? Hey, if you want to do drug deals and objectify women, that's your call." But at the same time, he seems to say "Hey, I'm not passing judgment". So it's an odd combination of the two.

Pause, maybe that line was too far

Now he thinks he crossed a line. But WHAT line? Talking about anal sex?

Just a little joke to show how homophobic you are

Now he's completely lost me. Nothing that came before sounded anything like a joke. I don't mean in a "that's not funny, man" sort of way - I can't even identify anything that looks like it was supposed to be humorous at all. And if I was offended...why does that make ME homophobic? If I call him the n-word, and he gets upset, can I call him a racist? Or is that line for people who DIDN'T find the line about faggots offensive, and he's now talking to a completely new set of people?

And who can blame ya

...and it's no surprised that you/we are homophobic? Why? Because gays bring it on themselves? Because rap music perpetrates homophobic attitudes? Because you've confused everybody listening to this song?

...people still join the Rosicrucians?

Lex

4. dude00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the inputs! I actually Googled to see if anyone else had posted something else regarding this, and it turns out Huffington Post did a half ass interview with him (and posted a really shitty article on it as well). After reading the comments on the websites it's clear...

Cole broke down those lyrics, explaining that he was trying to playfully attack the homophobia that saturates hip-hop.

"There will soon come a day when people in general, and rap artists specifically, are going to have to answer for their past usage of the word ‘faggot,’ much like the Grandfathers who are ashamed that they used the word ‘nigger’ as kids. At a time when public acceptance of gay rights is soaring (rightfully), hip-hop culture and general are still battling with homophobia (not excluding myself). Rather than run from it I chose to attack it playfully. Those lyrics are meant to make everyone uncomfortable for the sake of this very conversation."

Oh my GOD....

Ah and Lex, thousands join worldwide everyday :slight_smile: