1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

But I feel comfortable in this!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Ruby Dragon, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm actually just looking to rant a bit. I love wearing t-shirts or golf shirts with jeans, but my mom hates it. She wants me to dress more "girly/feminine" - much to my disgust!

I'm an adult for crying out loud, and I can wear whatever the hell I want! I've never felt comfortable wearing overly feminine clothes and hate when someone tells me to.

"Would you please put on something more feminine? You always look so butch, no wonder people think you are" :bang: I fucking hate it, I hate when people try to dictate to me, and hate negative comments re my choice of clothes!!! But I changed into something more "girly" either way, just to get my mom off my fucking case. I'm feeling silly wearing this top but whatever right? I just wish people will leave me the fuck alone :bang::tantrum:

2. ahundredpennies

I can relate to what you're feeling. Whenever I wear anything that my mom doesn't like (a vest, snapback hat, ect.) she says I can't wear it. And I'm like, "What do you mean I can't wear it?! I can dress myself, thank you. I wear what I like." I think she means well but she doesn't fully grasp the idea that if I didn't like what I was wearing I wouldn't be wearing it in the first place. Then whenever we go shopping she points out very feminine blouses and things that I would never wear in a million years. That's frustrating.

3. justjade

I can definitely relate. I am much more comfortable in guys' clothes. I, like you, am very tomboyish. I feel pretty self-conscious in dresses and skirts, even though I do still occasionally wear them when the mood strikes. But I never wear makeup. I have a mohawk (as per my sidebar), and I love to wear cargo shorts, t-shirts, and hoodies. I wear boxers and boxer briefs mostly. I hang out mostly with guys all the time. I've been asked why I "want to look like a boy" or if I ever hang out with girls so many times. The truth is, I belong in the world of guys.

I think more people are starting to accept the way I am, but it's probably just because I wore them down. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I've just been like this for so long that it would just be weird if I was anything else. Honestly, you have nothing to worry about. They'll all just have to get over it eventually.

4. Starling

Out Status:
    All but family
    Definitely know that feel. I can't tell you the number of times I have came downstairs and had to turn right back around and change because mom said I looked like a guy! I ever have a secret stash of snapbacks that I only wear in my room and with friends that she doesn't know about! Secret Snapacks? Really? Should it have to go that far???

5. ahundredpennies

:roflmao: The only reason I find this funny is because I know exactly how that feels!

6. Starling

Out Status:
    All but family
    :eusa_clap:eusa_clap I am building up my collection for when I come out to everyone and not give two flying flips in college! XD

7. MidnightOwl

I'm the same way and went through the same way. I still have really ugly clothes I don't like, but I kind of fear what people will say.

I want a wardrobe that mixes between my masculinity and feminity. I want to be "Limosuine Trash Ghetto"

Kind of like my avatar <---

I want to wear edgy vest with button down shirts and ties. But I fear what people will say. But I'm not comfortable in anything I wear. I feel ugly.

And that's all because my dad always got mad. He said I need to start dressing the way I want people to see me. And he said that since I'm biologically female. That I should dress like a woman.

8. ahundredpennies

I like the way you think! HAHA

9. Starling

Out Status:
    All but family
    Ha, thanks. I'm gonna come out as SnapBack wearer my freshman year :wink:

10. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for all the replies, it's nice to know I'm not the only one having to endure negative comments about my choice of clothes. Still sucks though.

My sis and I are going shopping (clothes shopping!) this afternoon, and my mom appointed her as my personal stylist or whatever, apparently she (my sister) has to help me buy more feminine clothes. Ugh :tantrum: I am almost 99% certain that I'll hate everything and come home empty-handed. I might buy a nice jacket and a pair of jeans though. Not feeling very optimistic about the shopping (I hate shopping, especially clothes shopping!) but I'll keep an open mind and see what's on sale. Maybe try it on and if I hate the way it makes me look, I'll leave it there for some other woman to buy :confused:

11. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I just wanted to say I know how you feel as well. I dress very tomboyish, through out high-school I thought being a girl I had to look feminine so I started to buy more feminine clothing in order to fit in. I wasn't comfortable with myself. Since I've come out and become more comfortable with who I am I've dressed more on the butch side of things. I just buy the clothes that make me feel comfortable. The clothes I know I'll wear. I've bought high heels in the past, still have them in my closet, I've never worn them in public. Sometimes my aunts will give me gifts, like a nice pair of heels, or makeup, Iddon't wear it. It's just not something I'm comfortable wearing, so I don't wear it.

Sometimes I get asked why I dress like a boy, I normally just say "I feel comfortable dressing this way. I don't like skirts and dresses. There's more ways to dress as a girl than in a skirt or a dress." :slight_smile: