1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should i start a Lgtb and allies group at my city

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Straight ally, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I want to form a support group, but not an online one, i want to form a group where we reunite in person. I also want it to be a descreet group (not to big)...

The thing is i dont know how to find the people and reunite them. I only know a bisexual woman (lets call her I) who is my best friend, and i know a lesbian one (lets call her S) but the prob is that i know she is lesbian because my bisexual friend told me but the lesbian doesnt know that i know and im not sure if i should just say "oh, I told me that you are lesbian" i mean i dont know if I had permission to out S. so im not sure how to apporach her on this... So my potential group only have 2 members, one is me the other is I who is kind of hard to acces and maybe a third member but i dont know how to approach this, specialy as im straight... I dont know maybe im being stupid and awkard and insecure, but i need to consult this with LGTB people. (I already have problem with common social interaction)

Also a 3 member group is still not satisfyingly big so how do i get to meet other LGTB person?....

On other notes: my country is pretty much behind in terms of gay rights and acceptance, and that difficult things.

2. FemCasanova

Have you aired this suggestion to I and asked her if she might want to approach the other girl? Because it`s a good idea! Does I know of any other LGBT people? You could also do some investigation, check out online for example and rumors locally where LGBT people gather, clubs, etc. Maybe get to know some new people? Make a blog? I don`t know. I am not the best when it comes to organizing, lol!

3. photoguy93

In terms of just starting any group, it is very difficult to get word out to people. I recently had a fundraiser for the clinic I work out, and people Didn't want to listen. My point is that you have to work very hard.

Is there a local university? Maybe it's full of some open minded people?

I'm sorry I'm behind on international things, but how "behind" is your country? If you are worried about your safety, obviously don't do it. Especially if your country is behind, I wouldn't expect LGBT people to just walk up to some group started by some person no one knows.

4. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    That is a very good idea, and you just helped me realize that i have been sabotaging myself cause i already thinked of talking to I but my mind just started a procces of elqborating excuses about how it wont work, etcetc even when its a good idea and i know it... Im kind of have a fear of taking decisions and leading, more reason to do this so i can fight homphobia while fighting against my own demons.

---------- Post added 3rd Jul 2013 at 05:57 AM ----------

Well i wont fear so much for my safety but its good idea to be descreet.

My country situation: homosexuality doesnt exist legally, i mean , it isnt illegal to be gay but civil unions arent recognized. We have some religocity but not as strong and fanatical as the conservatives at USA . My country is bathed in the macho culture, specialy in poorer classes.

Most lgtb people that are out are transgnders and effeminate guys with is not good in a macho culture, we are in serious need of more out masculine gays and feminine lesbians, cause that is easier to be understanded by "macho" homophobic, and on the long run that would prepare them for taking the following step of accepting transgenders and effeminate gay guys.. And heteresxual effeminate guys for that matter... I mean , even the fact of being a shy guy and lacking dating skills- not being a drinker- not playing a sport- leave a bit outside of the "priviledge macho dominican true man". You probably get the picture.... I have been asked if im gay just because im shy toward women and dont date them... Maybe that is one of the originis of my support for lgtb as i identify with it as im also outside the macho cultural pride of my country.

Summing up, we are not as behind as some countries that send lgtb to prison but we are not very advanced either. The lgtb voice is kind of quiet here. We dont have much hate murders but they have happened. Many gay bars have been closed, not all of the, but many, specialy at the capital.