1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding new friends with nowhere to start

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Formality, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Formality

My life has never been as boring as it is now. I really feel like I need to get out there and meet some new people. Problem is I have no idea where to start. A little back story to understand what I need help with. I go to a boarding school and have for 2 years now. I've made friends there but none of these friends are even remotely closeby in the summertime when I live at home with my family. And it gets really boring here when you have no real friends. (I did have friends 2 years back when i went to school here but I'm not close to any of them anymore nor do i want to be.)

So, how do i make new friends? Where do I start? Would it be smarter to come out to my family for it to be easier later on to make "real" friends?

I live in a rather big city so finding peopleshoulsn't be too hard. Problem is how do I approach them and where?

I appreciate any answers :slight_smile:

2. FemCasanova

Ah, a neighbor :slight_smile: How is the Swedish summer so far?

Do they have any youth organizations in your local area? Hobby/political/etc organizations or clubs you could join to get to know some new people with similar interests/hobbies? What about online pages where you can find friends based on hobbies? I know we have a Norwegian one. Do some googling and research, you might find something!

That has always been my fave approach, as I have pretty defined hobbies and I don`t much care to be friends with people I have nothing in common with. If people have nothing in common, they have little to talk about, other than un-engaging things.

Good luck!

3. MoyashiAlice

Hi~

Well, there is always people online. I like to chat with people online. :slight_smile: However if you want some friends that you actually know in real life, I think FemCasanova made a good list.

4. robotman

Hey, I feel the same as you, I am dieing too meet new people and would pretty much do anything to help me do so... the only problem is that it is hard to start again... I can't give any advice as I feel the same sort of way as you... I hope you find "new friends" and if/when you do please let me know how you did it, I will be so grateful as I need to meet new people aswell, I honestly feel like I have no one to talk to =(...

5. Snorlax

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ah...that feeling which I'm sure many of us would have encountered at some point in their lives. I am in a (somewhat) similar situation. Used to have a few friends, but I kept moving school due to my parents' work commitment, so never really made many close friends. My friendship circle dwindled as I grew older, until I finished high school and it's reduced down to only two close friends. We went to the same university but enrolled in different courses, so our paths slowly diverged. They made new friends but I couldn't due to certain circumstances at home preventing me from staying out for long, so attending classes/lectures were the only reasons for me to be out of the house. I still saw my friends once or twice a week, but we eventually grew apart as they started dating. I have not spoken to them in almost a year now. Fortunately during the time I was in undergraduate, I met a few people online on forums of common interests with whom I still talk to till this day. We can't really meet up for drinks or food though, because we live on opposite sides of the earth.

I guess the bottom line of my story is that sometimes certain circumstances prevent you from making new friends easily, but they do exist - even at times not very close to you geographically. Online friends may not be what you are looking for, but in my personal experience they are better than none, and at times they are even better than the friends you meet in real life. Even just a penpal would be nice.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^Very good point snorlax. Some people will smirk at online friends as being fake friends, but some of those people can be just as accepting. In my case, I've been part of a hobbyist forum for over 10 years, and it's really nice when some fellow older members remember my birthday and post a thread about it. Some people whom I used to get in huge debates with are now much nicer to me.