1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where should I go I need a place to stay?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TyTy91, Jul 1, 2013.

1. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Staying "home" with my parents for another whole year or 2 isnt really an option! Im actually not in a really good place with my parents even though things are neutral right now it can last for so much! See Im gay and not into my parents religion, my parents are VERY religiously strict. (jehovahs witness) Ive already made a thread about that but wont go into it any further. But I might repost another thread of my whole life story.

However I came out to my maternal grandmother last month and she was an angel, VERY accepting of me being gay. I feel bad because if I wouldve known this I wouldve left my parents here in Atlanta and moved in with my grandmother in Chicago when I was in high school.

Right now I have a little bit over $7,000 in my savings and a couple of hundreds in my checking more like $200! Im putting most in my savings because I need/want to move out of my parents house. Currently right now Im a cashier part time at a health food store and I get paid $9.50 an hour I get paid almost bi weekly. So I make around $600 no lower than $600 a month. I plan on moving out early next year and my goal is $10,000 I plan on living with a roommate. I dont plan on moving out right now
    but
    would I have enough to live on my own living with a roommate if I have $7,000?

I live in Atlanta its cheaper than the major cities but it is getting expensive here!
    Ive been in and out of community college but its not for me.I really want to work in the TV/Film industry in Casting really but I plan on becoming a massage therapist part time so I can have more income enough to support myself and then intern at a casting agency for TV/Film on the side or take an acting class. Like I said I really want to work in the TV/Film industry in Casting. So I'm attending Massage Therapy School in this fall and its a 6-7 month program, if you pass the class the state exam you will be certified. Hopefully I'll get a job as massage therapist!
    During school Fall classes are from 8:30AM to 12:30pm Mon-Fri and then I plan to work after school from like 2pm to closing (8:00pm), 5 days a week going to school. But I am going to need to pull out some student loans because the program tuition books supplies all equal $10,000

If I do move to Chicago into my grandmothers co-op she is only there sometimes because she is now living in Alabama taking care of my grandfather! So she is planning on somebody renting it the last time I heard. Its a nice 3 bedroom 1 bath on the 13th floor downtown Chicago you can see the buildings and Lake Michigan always would visit there when my family went to Chicago been visiting there since I was a baby really!
    Im 22 and I think I should be out of the house soon and finally live my life. I want to move out of my parents house at age 23 which I turn in March.

The thing Im scared if I move to Chicago and live there, I wont have the job plus the massage therapy school I dont know if it would count in Illinois since they are 2 different states and have different requirements of being a Massage Therapist. Plus when it comes to cities even though Chicago is way bigger than Atlanta, Atlanta TV/Film industry is thriving here. Plus Im still on my dads health insurance plan and Im with Kaiser Perminntae and the state of Illinois doesnt have that and I need it for behavioral health. KP is only in Georgia California, Hawaii, and Colorado.

Ive lived in Atlanta most of my life a part of me wants to leave this crappy place but another part of me tells me that I need to stay because the start of the career in the entertainment field could be right here as my foundation and then move to another city with film/tv. Plus I dont have any real friends here in Atlanta or Chicago.

I thought about being a receptionist for a job, Im wondering if it will pay a little bit more than $9.50 an hour at a grocery store.
    I mean if Casting doesnt work out at least I would have Massage Therapy as a back up plan.

I dont know what I should do! Plus Im scared that Im going to make a mistake Plus most American parents prepare their children for the real world, but jehovah witness parents really dont and I DONT want to end up living with my parents in this house again!

#1 TyTy91, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  2. starfish

It sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on things. I am impressed that you have 7 in savings at 22. At that age I had about 7K in credit card debit (I made some really stupid decisions at that age).

You might contact the board that licenses message therapists in Illinois and see if they have a reciprocity agreement with Georgia. If they do your license maybe good there.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have some background in massage therapy, having taught it for a number of years, and having worked with many other massage therapists.

Before you enroll in massage school, figure out where you want to end up practicing. Licensure and certification varies considerably by state, and I can tell you firsthand that the quality of massage therapy schools varies *tremendously* and most massage schools are downright terrible. Surprisingly, some of the very best schools are among the least expensive, and depending on where you want to be certified, can be considerably less than $10k.

Also, keep in mind that about half of practicing massage therapists have to have more than one job to support themselves. It's a great skill to have (if you go to a good school) and you can always make some money with it, but it is not the big money career some schools represent it to be. Also, most male massage therapists have a more difficult time finding clients (or jobs), since 70% of massage clients are women, many of whom also want a female therapist, and probably another 25% are straight men, most of whom *definitely* don't want a male therapist. It's stupid, since massage has nothing to do with sex, but that's the way it is.

As far as moving out... if you are serious about casting, you almost certainly want to be in LA, as the majority of casting agencies are there. Many have satellite offices in other cities, but LA is the heartbeat and pulse of that industry.

With respect to jobs... it's getting harder and harder to find decent paying jobs that aren't specialized, or require specialty training. They exist, but American society has moved heavily toward a lot of minimum wage jobs that aren't very fulfilling, so it's always wise to give some thought to what interests you (outside of massage) and what pays well, and focus your energies on getting the skills, contacts, and learning everything you can about your chosen field(s) to work your way in.

As far as moving out... it seems you're being cautious and thoughtful. 10 grand should be a very good start, particularly if you are really frugal and live with a relative or find a roommate situation.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about massage therapy program specifics.