1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dreaming about men, but I'm a lesbian

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by pinklov3ly, Jul 2, 2013.

1. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, for the past few nights I've been dreaming about men. Nothing sexual happens in the dreams, except for a little bit of kissing and I enjoy it. I'm not really sure what to make of my dreams and I'm usually the dream expert in my family. Everyone usually comes to me when they want to understand what their dreams mean. Also, during the same night, I had a dream about this girl I used to date. We also kissed in the dream and I liked it, of course!

I mean, I have been with men in the past, and only because I tried really hard to not be gay. It's really frustrating because I know that I have no interest in men in waking life. I have been dating women for the past year and half (since I've accepted myself) and things have been great. However, I'm afraid to get involved with another woman (I've been on a dating hiatus) only to realize that maybe I'm not really gay after all.

I truly do not feel bisexual, no offense to those who identify as bisexual. I have a friend who is bisexual and she thinks I should not write guys off completely. She knows how much of a struggle it has been for me to come to terms with who I am. And I just feel like these dreams put me right back at square one. My ex who I had kids with has called me confused and it pisses me off because I'm not. I'm not sure what I'm asking for, maybe some reassurance, perhaps?

I have dated enough men to know that I could never be with another man long term. There's always something missing, which I'm sure you've all heard a thousand times. Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks :slight_smile:

#1 pinklov3ly, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  2. MerBear

Well I have no advice but for some reason I have more dreams about men than I do women (sexually) ...I mean, I dont know what to make of it.

I've had a dream of having oral sex with this guy and this other guy trying to have sex with me....I can't recall if i liked it or not but I know i find it disgusting in real life. This is another reason why i questioned my sexuality

I guess, you and me are kind of in the same position

3. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, for the quick response. Yeah, it is very frustrating. I thought I was over this whole questioning phase, but I guess not. I mean, I don't find sex with men disgusting, it's just not what I prefer. It's not pleasurable, and I feel like I was just doing it to please the guy and to keep him interested. So, yeah, for all the wrong reasons and to prove to myself that I'm not gay.

4. Ridiculous

When it comes to dreams, just ignore them. They don't mean anything and what your mind does when you are unconscious doesn't matter. If you have no attraction to men when you are awake, having a dream about one when you are asleep shouldn't make you suddenly question everything.

5. MerBear

I've never had sex with a guy and Many girls say, "You won't know unless you try"
    But i mean, I dont find the idea of a penis into my vagina pleasurable at all. Sometimes i wonder if I ever did try, maybe i would like it but I dont want to try. Especially not at this age. I'm not that stupid.

And your welcome...and it is frustrating....The only time, i ever had sexual contact with a guy was when I was 12 and We had oral sex and The only part I liked was when he went down on me. I dont know if that means anything though.....

I'm battling the acceptance phase now....I still question time to time though as you can tell.

Hopefully, these dreams won't mean much so it can lift some bricks off your shoulders

6. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, thanks Ridiculous and Merbear. I know that dreams are not meant to be taken seriously, so I'm going to stop thinking about them. I know that I have absolutely no desire to be with a man, so there's my answer. I am done questioning! Thanks, again :slight_smile:

7. 2112

I've had "straight dreams". It's probably normal.

8. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, 2112, normal sounds good. I'm sure there are tons of straight people who have dreams about the same gender, but would never act on their dreams.

9. srslywtf

I've had plenty of dreams about girls.

I think when I have dreams that have a deep meaning, I "notice" that they were meaningful when I wake up. All other dreams I dont really read into at all.

10. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I generally forget about how the dreams made me feel in waking life, but only after I dwell on it a bit. If anything, I think I should be more focused on my actions leading up to the kiss. My behavior in the one of the dreams, I was being inappropriate as I was cheating with someone. And in the other dream, I was with someone I know of, but it would be extremely forbidden/taboo. Perhaps, I'm cheating myself out of what could be an awesome relationship with a man. And possibly with someone I would have never considered before. I have no idea, and I do not want to remember my dreams from now on :grin:

#10 pinklov3ly, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  11. srslywtf

What was the situation?
    What was the men's apparent orientation?
    Did it feel like an important dream or a random one?
    How were you acting/them acting?
    Did you know them at all from somewhere?

I'm not sure if you saw in the dreams thread but I recently had a dream, right at the time when I realised I wasn't straight, or curious, or even bi... I was gay. (I still question it sometimes too/am afraid to commit in case my mind changes.. I'm pretty sure it isnt going to though, I think it might be some well disguised subconscious denial)

Anyhow, so I'm with a lesbian friend of mine. she looks quite boyish. We're laughing/joking in a cynical way as we do, then she jumps at me playfully, we fall on a pile of cushions/pillows in this room, and tumble.. ending up her on her back, me on top of her, in each others arms, and kiss.

I didn't interpret this as me wanting to be with her despite her being a lesbian, because it didn't feel that way at all. I interpreted it as general confusion about sexuality.

Then I realised she was probably just a representation of the idea of 'gay' in my head - her being pretty much the only gay person I've ever known. and also looking a way that if she didnt have boobs/was basically a guy version of herself, I'd be massively attracted to her.

THEN I realise that we had actually just action-for-action played out a guy-on-guy gay scene from a TV show I had seen.. and well, I didn't need an expert to analyse that, what with the way I'd been feeling for the previous months.

Anyway what I'm trying to get at , is maybe they dont represent straight up woman-man relations/sexual attraction. Maybe they're representative of something more general, or something more specific to the context of the dream.

12. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Most of the time dreams are like metaphors, so dont take them literaly. We could say they have their own properties and their own logic, a dream is like a mini universe with its own rules.

Example: i love my parents yet i have dreamed twice about killing my father and the first time it was kind of bloody.

13. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bi curious?

14. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, in one of my dreams I was cheating (kissed) with someone else and I knew that he had a girlfriend. Supposedly, my dream dictionary interprets it as self betrayal on my subconscious. What the hell does that mean?!

In the other dream, I was with this guy (we only kissed) who's related to my ex-boyfriend :eusa_doh: Gosh, I felt so terrible for having that dream. I saw the guy briefly recently at a party, but I had no contact with him. I didn't even speak to him, but I heard his name, so maybe that's what triggered the memory of him.

I'm sure the dreams were random, but they still make me feel uneasy. I would never ever be with these guys irl, so I'm not sure why I'm so worried.

Again, thank you for your help :icon_wink

15. srslywtf

No problem. I love dreams!

Also I would say don't bother with the dream dictionary... I'm sure some of it is vaguely accurate, but...

Dreams are concocted by your own brain, so your own brain is what you need to translate them! Just think about what you see in the dream, what metaphors you see, then try to relate it to things that are/have been part of your life.

16. VelvetEYES

Hey it happens. I used to only have sex dreams about men although I'm pretty much a Kinsey 6. But I rarely have sex dreams. And I'm proud to say, the last few all involved women and they were fucking amazing.

I think it has to do with socialization. We are socialized to be heterosexual so it may be the norm for us to have dreams like that initially.

17. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, thanks again srslywtf (nice name btw :lol:slight_smile: and VelvetEYES for the replies. Finally, I can sleep at night and not worry about what I'm going to dream about next. I tell myself before I go to bed now, that I do not want to remember my dreams because they have an adverse affect on me in waking life. So, I've told my dreams to back off :eusa_hand

18. MoyashiAlice

Hi~

Believe it or not, this is quite common. There are gay men who dream about kissing women, lesbians who dream about kissing guys and straight people who dream about kissing the same sex. Dreams don't dictate your sexual orientation. :slight_smile: Trust me, there are plenty of straight guys who had a dream about a guy once, freak out and then have to have people tell him that it doesn't mean he's gay. -_-

However, it can help you to realize your sexual orientation. I had like 12 lesbian dream before I realized that I was bi. But it wasn't just the dreams that lead me to realize though, it was also my conscious thoughts.

19. fortheloveoflez

You just answered your own question. Don't date men because you clearly don't like them like that. I guess, just view the dream as just a dream.

20. bazinga91

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I had a sex dream with a guy last night and im in a committed relationship with my girlfriend.. I think its normal, nbd I really wouldn't worry about it unless there is some deeper feeling you're having for a guy or something.. if not I really wouldn't pay much mind to it!