1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Best friend's new boyfriend said WHAT?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Waffles, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Waffles

Hey guys! I guess this is somewhat me writing down my thoughts, but my friend (female) just recently got new boyfriend. She said that his is sweet, sincere, and always knows the right things to say. I HAVE NEVER MET him (hint hint that is a major point), but I think he sounds like a nice guy.

Now, my friend and I have gone through a lot together and we are literally unseperable. Since we've been friends, I've helped her become almost a year clean from cutting and helped her overcome her bullemia. So I'd say we're BEST friends and almost siblings basically.

So TODAY was when she told me that she got a new boyfriend, and I congratulated her. I said I wanna meet him because he seems like a nice guy. And this is what she said (and showed me the message).

"I love you *her name*, but I can't stand your friend *my name*"

... I'M SORRY. WHAT? How can he hate someone he has NEVER MET. AND HE NEVER PROVIDED A REASON WHY. And now she is sending my calls to voice mail (she isn't even busy because she saud she was home for the day) me so I'm just like "well okay then, whatever makes you happy". I'm so irritated by that, and trust me I want her to be happy... but seriously? Am I just overreacting or do I have an actual reason to be sightly angry?

... OH, and happy 4th!

2. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Not 100% sure, but it sounds like he knows how close you two are, as she probably mentions you a lot, so he might be trying to edge you out so he has more of a shot with her.

If I were you, I'd just give her a text reminding her of what you lot have been through, but don't make it sound like she owes you, just to remind her what a waste it would be if you threw away everything you've gone through for a guy she just met, who you haven't even met and is slagging you off for no reason. End it with asking her to call you, then leave it at that. Sometimes people don't realise what they're doing and need it to be said so they realise the situation.

All the best.

3. Viridian

Viridian Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Either she showed him pictures of you or told a few stories about you to him for him to come up with an impression about you. Sounds a bit shady though.

I think you should prepare for the worst. It sounds like your friend is trapped in "relationship mode", where she abandons all her friends.

Personally, I don't believe in the idea of "best friends" because it denotes that only one friend can fulfill all your friendship needs.

I would suggest not bombarding her with calls or texts. Leave her a few every now and then to see if she wants to hang out, but if she doesn't respond, you know that she's avoiding you and just leave it at that.

If you notice that she is avoiding you, just move on with your life. At your age, people who get into relationships often forget their friends, so forgive her and continue doing the things you do. You can leave open the possibility of rekindling the friendship later down the road, if you choose so, but for now, it sounds like her priorities are her boyfriend.

4. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh, I have met him before, he will get rid of her friends one by one, then he will distance her from her family & then he will have complete control of her life, jealous of her every move, my Best Friend had one of those, she stopped speaking to me & after he had got rid of everyone, he made her get rid of her Dog, yes her Dog, he was even jealous of her, all I could do was be there for her when the relationship broke down & yes they usually break down!

5. robotman

That doesn't sound too good... Don't think too much into it, I know its hard... but as other posters have said just give her time, you have tired to contact her, so let her get back to you. I know you have been through alot with her but she will (hopefully) realize that and things should go back to normal again.

---------- Post added 4th Jul 2013 at 10:25 PM ----------

Hope it works out for you!