1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Later in Life Issue

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Tyler1, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Tyler1

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I felt compelled to post regarding my situation which I cannot believe is unique. It is quite frustrating to hear gay friends tell me after listening to my story that I was either in denial or a closeted gay all along as if what I am telling them makes no difference. Here is my situation I hope that it helps anyone else with a familiar problem.
    I was married for 24 years to my college sweetheart, we have two wonderful children and had a great life. During all those years I never once thought about guys other than as friends. Several years ago my then wife became involved in a fundamentalist group that in the end caused our relationship to fall apart. Prior to that time we had a very full and happy married life and I was completely satisfied
    After our divorce I started seeing another woman and dated exclusively for almost two years again we had what I would consider a great relationship on all levels . A little over two years ago I attend a party given by a business associate at his home. As part of the evening entertainment he had engaged a sketch artist to do casual cartoons of the attendees. The artist was a very attractive guy, I guess you would define him as a "metrosexual" type. Everything about this guy seemed prefect from his hair to his clothing. Some of the women were quite taken but our host informed them that our artist was gay. During the course of the evening as these things go I was getting a cocktail at the same time Marc was. I complimented him on his skills as an artist. As he was done for the night we sat down to chat. Marc was indeed not only good looking and talented but a very accomplished person. He had been a dancer but studied physical Therapy,after practicing for a while found it not creative enough so became an artist. We also discovered we played tennis at the same center. We agreed to meet to play tennis the next week. Over the next few weeks I played tennis with Marc many times, afterwards we would then go out for a drink. He was a pleasure to converse with. He was into everything and had done remarkable things so far. Much to my astonishment and confusion I found myself attracted to him in more than just a friendly way. This was distressing at the time as I had never even thought along those lines but the more I saw of him, the more I wanted to see him and be with him. I started to think of him sexually and this really scared me.
    While this was going on I found my attraction to my girlfriend waning on a sexual level. This could not be happening to me. I stayed away from Marc for weeks but it only got worse. I thought of him constantly. Finally I gathered up my courage and called him. We met for a drink at his apartment. He wanted to know why I stopped calling him to play tennis and with my stomach in a knot told him how I was feeling. Marc told me he already knew, he leaned over a kissed me on the mouth. At first I pulled back ready to bolt, but in reality I wanted more. That night I stayed with Marc. I had could not imagine being intimate with another guy could have as erotic,sensual and pleasurable. I knew that night I had crossed a bridge and there was no going back. Waking up in the morning next to Marc just seemed so right. That morning I told him I was sure I was now gay and I wanted very much to be his boyfriend. Marc apparently felt the same way. I decided as Marc was out I could not allow him to be in a secret relationship that was not fair to him. I told him I would have to come out too but it would take some time. Of course he understood and encouraged me to go slow. I remember kissing him good-bye that morning and thinking I want to be with guy always. It was very frightening while at the same time exciting.
    The next several months were a mix of emotions, problems, and pleasure. Shortly after my night with Marc I broke the news to my girlfriend. Needless to say she was devastated and I was miserable for cause her such grief. She is a beautiful, funny, woman and I love her as a person I just wasn't sexually attracted to her any longer. Telling my children was not pleasant either, they are still coming to terms with it.
    I was so lucky to have Marc. He was very patient and helpful as I transition to a gay life style. It was not as easy as signing on the doted line. Frankly there is lot to "learn" having been straight for a lifetime.
    I offer my story because when I tell them, most seem to dismiss it as I was a closeted gay or in denial. It simply wasn't the case I was 100% straight until I meet Marc. I have no clue why this happened, I certainly wasn't looking for it but it did! Perhaps when you find the right person it doesn't matter, I have no clue and have stopped trying to figure it out.
    Two years down the road I am a 48 yr old ,100% gay, 100% happy, in love with the "guy". Even now I find it hard to come to terms that I was once straight ,as I don't miss being straight, no desire to be straight and can't imagine being with a woman again. My story cannot be a unique one. Please let me know.

2. biggayguy

Hi Tyler1, I wanted very much to be completely straight. Dated girls. Fantasized about girls. Then I buried my feelings for boys way down deep. For years I thought I was completely straight. Liking boys was just a phase. The problem was deep down inside it wasn't just a phase. The very first person I came out to was myself. People just don't suddenly turn gay out of no where, If you can't be honest with yourself how can you be honest with someone else? I suppose this is what your other gay friends have told you. I guess you'll have to be frustrated with me too. I just don't believe it's possible to become gay out of thin air.

3. srslywtf

Maybe it's different for you, I'm certainly open to the idea of people genuinely changing their preference. I don't believe someone has to be born with any preference.

For me , I thought I was straight up until the point where I realised I'd just never properly considered the alternative/let myself consider it... as soon as I did, I became aware that my "attraction" to women had very obviously been fake/forced/impressed upon me by society - I just didn't know what 'true' attraction was before, so was under the impression that what I felt for women was real.

While in some ways I look back and say 'no wonder I was so worried about this/that/etc' or things like that... I was never consciously aware until this year.

#3 srslywtf, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  4. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    Thank you for telling your story, and yes I 100% believe you.

I said in my opening post on EC that our stories are similar but each has our own story to tell. I knew when I was 25 that something didn't feel right but it wasn't until I actually met someone that i really liked that a few pieces of the puzzle started falling into place. Maybe I should have pushed a bit harder with my feelings towards this person.

Thanks for telling us your story, it might help someone.

5. Jim1454

Hi and welcome to EC. Your story is just that - yours. I don't think you need to convince anyone or prove to anyone whether you were or weren't gay until recently.

When people suggest you were in denial, I understand where they're coming from though. I certainly was in denial - but not consciously. I was unconsciously in denial. Not once did I think "OMG, I'm gay, but I don't want to deal with it, so I'm going to marry a woman and have a family and pretend that I never had this revelation." That never happened. There were things I was doing that might have suggested that I was gay, but in your case maybe there weren't. You weren't actively denying anything, but there was this part of you that simply hadn't every been 'awakened' by anyone or anything before.

I'm glad you're happy with where you are and who you are - that's what's important.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For what it's worth, Tyler, a lot of people have had the experience you've had. And actually (whether or not it's true in your case,) people really can be absolutely, blissfully happy in a heterosexual marriage and then, later in life, an experience like yours happens that completely shifts their perception of themselves.

At least according to the majority of the credible research out there, what these other people have experienced is long-term denial. And the thing with denial is... it can be complete and utter denial. Meaning, until one breaks past it, there's absolutely no connection whatsoever with the idea that one might be gay, or attracted to the same sex.

But at the end of the day... why does it matter one way or another? Even if your friends happen to be correct on this point, there's no shame in having a period of being in denial, and a lot of people (including me) have been there... it's just our psyche's way of protecting us from something we aren't yet ready to handle. And if they aren't correct... and you had some sudden shift of sexual orientation (even though there's little evidence supporting this idea in the credible psych/sexology literature)... again, who cares?

What matters is you have a wonderful relationship with someone you care about. How other people choose to label your previous life experience is on them, not on you :wink:

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a wonderful story and for what it's worth I do very much believe and I agree with Chip, who cares? You did exactly the right thing with your GF and your kids (despite the pain), you found a wonderful guy, count your blessings!

There was a member here a while back who described his orientation as "Nick". He had relationships with girls before but had never had a relationship with any other guy and, as far as we know, they are still together.

With you and him, something clicked and something awoke in you, no need to label it, he can simply be your "Nick-name" :grin:

8. Tyler1

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for replies. I understand the denial issue but still do not believe that was the case. Yet I feel that some how I am being disingenuous to all the gay people out there whom seem to have it all figured out. I accept that I am gay now. I am not ashamed of anything not my past present or future but I can't pretend that all those years were somehow a complete lie to everyone including myself.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not going to comment about the denial one way or the other, since I can't walk in someone else's shoes, nor can they in mine. I know of two ladies who became lesbian later in life - one after an acrid divorce and another after the unexpected death of her spouse. Both are mothers. I did not interview them to ask whether they had these feelings all along. I don't have that kind of rapport with them.

But I do have a question. What do you think precipitated your ex-wife's involvement with a fundamentalist religious group? When something like that occurs, and both spouses are not on board, a relationship is almost expected to have bumps. They become very fanatical and it consumes them when they go gung-ho religious. However, I feel that just exacerbated the issue rather than create it. It had been brewing for a while.

10. Tyler1

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting question. I think death of my ex wife's father started the ball rolling. She was religious but nothing like this. She changed not only to me but to our children because they did not agree with her now fundamentalist belief system. Somehow sex was a never a problem issue for us until the end. I don't think it had much to do with what happened two years later

11. Dave5432

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tyler, your story is really moving. Glad you are happy now.

12. Tyler1

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks all for your replies. I can see some validity to the total denial side of the discussion.
    Of course at this time I am not sure it matters as I am 100 % gay ,happy and out. If I was in denial all those years how sad because while I was happy before life after coming out has been fantastic. Not of course without its share grief, sadness and confusion but in the end I found out gay is part of what I am and love it.

13. diego7142

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, you're still with Marc? What a great story...

14. Tyler1

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Almost two years now and still together. Marc has taught so much. He made my transition to gay life so much easier. I had a lot to learn about being gay , coming to terms with myself, becoming comfortable with every aspect of gay sex (this for me while being absolutely enjoyable took some time to develop both comfort level and skill), and most importantly being openly gay. I feel free to express my affection for him in public and in general letting everyone know I am gay. As for him I have helped him come to terms with issues he had with his father, encouraged him to return to taking ballet lessons,his first love.(he might not dance on stage again,but he is extremely happy just practicing,not to be mention he looks pretty good in tights,a side benefit for me!) I have also provided him with an honest, open, loving relationship. I never thought it could be this good with another man.Shows you how much I know. I encourage everyone who is questioning their sexuality to explore, you may like me, find not the pot of gold but the rainbow itself.

15. Tyler1

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not sure if this is the right forum but it seems like to follow up for me to previous posts. EC has been fantastic for me. It has come to make me realize that perhaps all was not I always thought it was. It is great read others stories and challenges.
    I have a couple of issues and frankly am somewhat embarrassed to ask some of my friends that be out and gay since teens. Here goes, I would appreciate any comments you might have.

After two years with my boyfriend I find sex still as wonderful as ever but we seem to have fallen into a certain roll. He a bottom and me a top, while I am good with that I also enjoy the pleasure of being a bottom. Only once in a while does he seem interested. I have tried gently to push the issue but he doesn't seem to get the message. It was our first sexual encounter when he was the top that convinced me that I was gay and wanted more of him. Intense and pleasurable are not strong enough word to describe that night. I would like more of that, how do I get my wishes out without harming a wonderful sex life?
    On another front when I first came out after years of being straight I still found women to be attractive and thought that if the circumstances were right I would still be intimate with a woman. Over the past 24 months I have changed. I now find the whole idea gross. I don't mean to imply that I anti woman in anyway. I enjoy there company, respect them, etc. However the mere idea of being with a woman sexually is repelling. About a month ago I meet an attractive woman at a function, she didn't have clue about me and I needed to check to see if this change in my outlook was real. To make a long story short this woman kissed me and frankly not only did I not feel anything for her in anyway, the whole things seemed gross somehow. Is this a normal reaction? I somehow feel guilty about feeling this way as I have know many wonderful women including my ex GF and just feel I am disrespecting them somehow.

16. biggayguy

Tyler1 I'm sorry if I came on too strong. You know yourself better than I do. Glad that you know who you are and have someone to love. :slight_smile:

17. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I understand your feelings on being a bottom (I think).

When I was in a LTR I preferred top, but once in a while I emotionally "needed" to switch. There was a emotional union, a connection that did not occur being the top. It is as if topping is physical where bottoming was emotional.

If this is true for you tell your partner you need the emotional connection he gets once in a while too.

18. Tyler1

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Skiff, I think you hit it. Bottoming seems more of an emotional connection. I understand why some prefer to only bottom. It is connection unlike anything else I know of hetero included. For me it makes me feel truly liberated, truly gay and truly connected.

19. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

More bonded and connected emotionally to my partner. If wrapping souls is liberating to you then "liberating" it is. Me, I choose the words "bonding affirmation".

20. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually was trying to convince myself for years that the reverse had happened. I was obsessed with men (& boys when i was younger) and then, in my late 20s, became really close to my wife. At some point we became intimate, and I thought I had discovered my latent heterosexuality. So after a time, we married, and over time the heterosexuality, waned and the homosexuality resurged until it was too big to ignore. I'm not in any way suggesting anything about you. Your story, which is touching, reminded me of the unexpected turns life takes.