1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Dating...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, Jul 15, 2013.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

At the urging of a friend I joined an online dating site. My opinion...

Crap.

Whether it is caliber of people or poor matching software it does not deliver. After answering questions honestly for 45 minutes and getting local matches >90% and contacting a couple of them... My opinion...

Pointless, but a great way to collect marketing data along with email contact information.

After making it clear I was looking for long term dating/LTR and I was not interested in bisexuals (gay men only) the system delivered up bisexuals with high match percentages. I love the ones that are "matches" who post bare chested photos when you specify no hook-ups.

My initial impression: Crap as meeting people, great marketing data collection scheme. For those who think they work... Even a blind squirrel can occasionally find a nut and online dating is equivalent.

Just my opinion

#1 skiff, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  2. gavguy

gavguy Guest

I think online dating is a good idea, but make sure that you are not scammed.
    I always knew about people scamming but still that didn't stop me being £3,000 short by fraudsters. When you feel that someone loves you then any fear you may of had seems to completely go out the window, just don't lend any money !
    You get good and bad ones just like anything these days and you still hear plenty of stories about people meeting online and are happy together so I certainly would do the online dating thing if you feel that this will help you, especially confidence wise.

3. bdman

I used a couple dating sites. One free and one pay site. Generally these don't seem to be a great way to meet people.

once you take away the profiles that...

Only want hookups,
    Not serious about meeting people
    Not active,
    Fake
    Only looking for people 15 yrs or more younger than themselves.

there is not a whole lot left. I'm guessing they are better for a older age group though.
    I found the free one was better than the pay one, but that also meant more profiles looking for hookups.

4. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

This online dating has me wondering...

Why do you message one who appears to be a good match but you are reluctant to message a person that appears to be a great match?

Fear of rejection by somebody you key on?

If you have run into this I would like to hear your thoughts.

I am not looking for encouragement, I prefer to understand my reluctance first.

5. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    More thoughts...

The number of predators on dating sites is off the charts.

Not just sexual predators but every stripe of criminality is looking for an opening to exploit.

I rank it up there with unprotected sex.

It is alarming and amusing to look at the history of your profiles visitors. There are obvious predators, but it is the smart ones you need to be wary off. They will find your blind spot and exploit it.

Happens in the real world, but the real world has many more warning bells, whistles and friends going off to protect you.

6. LD579

First, second, and third dates, generally speaking, should be done at public places though. Maybe it's just the website that you're specifically using? On the website that I've 'used'/looked at, it's very easy to find 'genuine people'.

I'm basically saying that online dating has its perks and definite advantages.

7. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... Great. Now my last ditch for love is down the drain. Thanks for the heads up though. That makes lots of sense when you think about it, but it's still kinda wrong to play on people who desperately want love to gather marketing data. And even worse that it's filled with predators... :frowning2:

8. EscapeArtist

I can happily say that thanks to a dating site I met the love of my life. We are no longer together due to many major contributing factors but we are relentlessly close friends to this day. She has increased my quality of life and I can't imagine it without her. At all.

I believe there are ways to go about this and like anything else-it requires a bit of intelligence.

9. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That is what predators count on.

10. bdman

Because great matches are so difficult to come by that you don't want to ruin it. You want to save it. Make sure everything is perfect. A great match gives you a sense of hope, until they don't respond then you feel terrible.

11. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What is the deal with no response?

I respond to "sane" messages that I'm not interested in politely. Off the wall inquiries get no response and blocked.

It is a curious thing. More like a bucket of snakes that may or may not have some jewels ion it.

12. sigillumdiaboli

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I hear ya, and for females it's just as bad I think. I'm a genuine, nice person and it drives me nuts when people just ignore messages. Why the hell do I shell out money for? To try and meet people away from the computer screen! Arghhh!

13. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The deal with no response, I can kind of get because I do it also. If I get a message from someone saying something that can possibly harm me or I just find them way too old, I just ignore them and don't do anything. So that could be reasons for no response.

14. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    Skiff don't give up, maybe the online dating won't work for you; but it has worked for a few people I know. Maybe it will increase your circle of friends, people keep telling me its a numbers game.

15. SFSorrow

Unless their message is offensive I don't see what's so difficult about just saying 'no thank you'.

The people I really don't get are those who have messaged me first, and when I respond never reply again, or who send several messages back and forth then suddenly stop.

To be a bit more optimistic, out of the 6 people (including me) I know who have tried it, 4 of them are still in relationships that have lasted over 2 years, so that's not bad odds. I'm not one of them though.

16. bdman

You know, I've stopped responding to contacts. I tend to get angry then depressed then angry again because the guys who contact me shouldn't be. They are way outside me age range I specified. I looked at the math this week and 90% of my contacts are too old. Most of them more than 10 years older than me. This is on a pay site. My record is 19 years older and there is this guy that is 33 years older that keeps creeping around my profile.

So I decided if you don't pay attention to my age range, I don't respond. I get depressed because these are the only guys I can attract. I don't know why.

17. sigillumdiaboli

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yup, this happened to me just this week - Was bummed too, coz I thought she was quite nice...

18. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I think the age issue may be software issues or simply marketing to biild the feeling of traffic.

I did some checking and it was giving real high match indexes, regardless if the age ranges were compatible. The user has to literally check your profile to see your age range.

It flatters the older person to be matched with younger users and I am sure the dating sites are chasing the wallets of babyboomers (large demographic).

A lot of this mis-matching may be deliberate marketing ploys building false traffic.

I have young guys checking my profile and when I look to see why I am way out of the range they specify, but my image is there and there is no reason for them to initially check my profile.

Has to be the system driving false traffic and trying to flatter the largest paying demographic. Sure there are creeps but most of it has to have a marketing agenda.

19. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People could search for others who are a certain distance from them and then look at the resulting profiles. It may not be a case of the system telling that person you are a good match. They might look at everyone within 25 miles or age 30-40 even though the system tells them you're a bad match. Just a thought because I don't always pay attention to the match percentage and I don't find out the desired age range until I open the profile.

The site should have settings to block your profile from people based on your selection of characteristics. For example you set it so only people age 30 to 40, who live within 10 miles and are taller than 4 feet can see your profile. That would be a nice feature I think. It should also require that you reply at least "no thank you" to all messages you get before you can send another message. Just kidding on that part, but it might be interesting how that would play out.

What I dislike about dating sites is it seems like everyone on there is so amazing and active and popular. They're constantly doing something and they do this and that and always busy with saving the world or something grand. I just want a regular guy who is kinda boring, easy going and not trying to emulate life on the Amazing Race. Maybe that should be my ad title, "Looking for guys who are slightly more or less boring than I am." :thumbsup:

20. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You should use that last paragraph as your profile.

---------- Post added 20th Jul 2013 at 10:36 AM ----------

I would reply to a profile like that.