1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Definite Kinsey-Zero Being Challenged

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by IConfess, Jul 18, 2013.

1. IConfess

I am straight...or thought I was. She is not. I have a kid, a husband, a mortgage and she probably has someone stable in her life, a dog and a mortgage. I am used to having full control of my feelings, or at least of my reactions. Not anymore. I can't be in the same room with her without feeling overpowered by my emotions. My face burns. I get tongue-tied and can't keep eye contact. My comments make no sense and I become deeply aware of my clumsiness which only makes things worse. I can't function properly or effectively, and I need to since I have to report back to her at work.
    She is extremely kind, considerate and uber professional. I feel awful at the idea of making her feel uncomfortable because of my clumsiness. She is probably aware of the struggle I am in but she is kind and professional enough to deflect it in a gracious manner. I need to be able to work with her without making both of us feel uncomfortable. I don't have any idea on how to handle this. This is an unchartered territory and am I ever lost!
    This is so new and freaking scary. At this point in my life, NOTHING should feel that intimidating. In a nutshell, how do I act in a professional manner with someone with whom I feel so attracted to? I am passionate about my job and I would hate it if I had to submit a resignation letter, based on my lack of skills at handling this situation properly. By the way, I just met her. This is RAW attraction I am referring to. Our conversations, which have not been many, have always focused on work. Last time we talked I believe I had a mini-stroke, I felt dizzy...my heart was pounding so aggressively I could swear she could hear it across the boardroom table, I just couldn't come up with any decent fully-formed sentences. She was ever empathetic and left me alone briefly, so I could catch my breath. Not only that, but offered me a drink, upon returning to the room after having seen my face on fire. I can't stand being close to her. I feel terribly vulnerable. At one point, she casually put her hand on my shoulder as she talked to me and I just froze. I am usually very eloquent, sharp as a tack, and laser-focused when referring to chatting about work. Not anymore. Not with her. I want to keep my job AND my sanity. HELP

#1 IConfess, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  2. biggayguy

I wonder if confessing your attraction to her privately would help? She may be flattered that you find her attractive. Is she your supervisor/boss? Is that why you're concerned for your job?

3. HopeFloats

I have a very strong attraction to a woman at work. She is not my direct supervisor but she's higher up than I am and we're working on a case together. I started having explicit sexual dreams about her and then blushed just walking by her office. We often have meetings out of the office and just the two of us drive together. I have to try not to talk in the car. Because I'm afraid Ill say too much. I often find myself staring at her hands. This has been going on for at least a year. It's actually a strong factor in why I came out to myself and started coming out to friends. I disagree with confessing your attraction. What I realized in my situation is that this is about me, not about her. I don't want to burden her with my confusion and feelings. I needed to sort them out for myself.

4. Jim1454

I wouldn't confess anything to her either. Talking about it here or perhaps with a professional or with a trusted friend might take some of the overwhelming emotion out of the situation.

For many of us who come to realize we have a same sex attraction later in life the emotions that come with that first crush are overwhelming. It's like you're cramming 6 years of teen aged angst into a few short weeks. It really is like being hit by a wall of rushing water. The good news is that it will pass. It is like you've unlocked a flood gate and that initial rush of water is happening. But the water will level out again and smooth out, but perhaps at a different depth. Likewise, you'll have a new awareness of yourself that you didn't have before. And that's something else you'll need to come to terms with.

For now, ride it out. And don't do anything stupid. :slight_smile:

5. IConfess

Confessing my attraction? Not a chance! As HopeFloats implied in her message, this is exclusively about me. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue on how to even start wading through this emotional avalanche (thanks for your input anyways, biguy50!) Jim, thanks for your kind words. I am such a mess. Knowing that this too shall pass makes me hopeful that I will be able to get a grip, eventually.
    I really don't know what this is all about. Is it a midlife crisis? Is it the hormones? I just find her inexplicably alluring. Never in a million years, would I have thought that I could be attracted to someone of the same sex in such a hopeless way.
    Today, I was lucky. I didn't see her and I had a very productive and pleasant meeting with a female colleague. I just kept thinking... why can't I like a "normal" person when meeting with her, as I am doing now with this person? I was focused, productive and relaxed. My reptilian brain kicked in as soon as I heard her voice in an adjacent room. Good Gawd. This is beyond mortifying. I don't want to avoid her - it's ridiculous. We HAVE to work together and I need to find a way to make this work. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, ideas or wise words you might send my way. Good day.

#5 IConfess, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try to stay professional and hopefully, as time passes, you will be more comfortable around this person and the butterflies will diminish.

If it makes you feel better, I read that, once in a lifetime, most Kinsey-0s will experience an intrigue with a person of the same sex and that it will come and go, though they will certainly experience angst and confusion as it occurs.

Picture them sitting on a toilet and grunting, if that's what you need to do. But, on the job, keep your cool. Discuss it with those who are safe, such as you are doing here.

7. Jim1454

Gross as it is, this made me LOL. :grin:

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jim, that's the advice commonly given to those who have stage fright about giving a speech in front of an audience. I can't take credit for it.

9. HopeFloats

Practically, when I have a meeting with the object of my attraction at the office, I do better when (1) I take a notepad and pen (2) plan what we need to cover in our meeting professionally and (3) do not stare at her. I try to "fake it until I can make it" - fake like I not insanely attracted to her. When I don't have a pen and notepad to play with or my professional conversation outlined, I get very goofy, off track, distracted, etc. it's ridiculous!

10. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can so relate to the office-attraction thing. I would definitely not say anything to her about it...good way to ruin a working relationship...or worse. All the advice on here about how to center and focus is good...especially Hope's thoughts about planning/prepping meetings and having pen and paper handy.

All I can say is that it will diminish with time...so keep your head on straight until then. But this does all raise the more serious question of this attraction to one particular woman can (or eventually will) extend to other women. How would you feel about talking to your husband about any of this? While I'm not big on total emotional honesty with co-workers, I am *all* about communication and total honesty with a partner.

11. IConfess

Tightrope, Hopefloats and biAnnika, thank you for taking the time to share your helpful insights with me. I wouldn't do anything that could jeopardize our professional relationship. It is MY job at stake, not hers. Not only that, but I do respect the fact that this is not her issue to deal with, it is ALL mine. I just want to be able to relax and "breath" when I am around her and not being perceived as a complete nuisance. She must feel that something is brewing...She could have walked in my meeting to say Hi, but she clearly avoided me- as I did her. Awkward..and sad. She is such a brilliant human being. I hardly know her but it doesn't take much to know the true character of a person after a few meetings.
    I have been reading A LOT trying to sort this out by myself...Information helps to a certain extent. Perhaps, therapy will be next. I am surrounded by loving friends and family but I have never felt such a sense of utter isolation. I cant' share with them how I feel.
    Today, my little sidekick asked me "mommy why are you so sad?" Mind you that I thought I was acting as my normal self, being the energetic, happy mom that I am to him. His comment just crushed me. I feel as I had been run over by a 10 ton truck, and this is just the beginning.
    Thanks again for your kindness in your comments.

12. HopeFloats

Hugs to you!! Talking to a therapist sounds like a great option.

13. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely a therapist is a perfect next step, and one I usually recommend...I'm sorry I didn't think of it last night. Hugs and good luck!

14. PurpleCrab

I have a daring suggestion that involves just you, IConfess.

It comes in 3 steps.

-One, realize just exactly what this attraction is; raw attraction. You don't know her, you're married, it has no (immediate) future. You will keep your cool and eventually get used to feeling this way, therefore this attraction isn't dangerous for your job or personal life.
    -Two, make her into a fantasy. That's right; you don't know her so you can imagine everything you want about her. You can imagine she's your secret girlfriend whom you have sex with in the elevator at work. Anything you want. Clearly separating fantasy from reality saves you a whole lot of trouble, I promise.
    -Three, use it. When the urge is too big or when you need a bit of spice in the bedroom with your husband, think of the guilty fantasy you made for yourself.

Girl, I've lived so many times what you're describing and that's the only way that works for me. It's taking a threat and transforming it into something harmless and even pleasant. She may even find your new smiles charming!

15. IConfess

Thanks for your sound advice, PurpleCrab. If anything, this experience has granted me with a keen awareness of the inexplicable comfort I used to feel around any non-straight females, and their puzzled look when telling them that I was married. I just realized this has been happening since forever! It's rather hilarious. My kid's swimming instructor, a dear friend who came out late in life, a distant cousin, that woman on the plane to Brazil, the swimmer with the two kids last Sunday...and the list goes on and on. Then, never in a million years was I ever attracted to ANY of them. I can't believe how oblivious I have been to this connect-the-dots experience!
    What's left? Immediate therapy and a great dosage of humor to help me navigate these unknown waters, with whatever dignity I have left.
    Many, many thanks.

#15 IConfess, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  16. IConfess

Ok..so therapy and humor have helped a great deal. However, I just cannot help feeling what I am feeling. The issues are the same...not wanting her to feel uncomfortable while keeping my reactions under control. Neither of us deserve feeling awkward in each other's presence. She has a life. I have mine. Nothing will ever come out of this, except a very bruised ego (mine). I am so completely lost for her, it is sadly hilarious. An oxymoron, I know. Oh well...I will continue to navigate these unknown waters the best way I can, holding my head up high and hoping for calmer winds. Goodbye Kinsey 0...hello Kinsey upgraded version,4.5?

17. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great to see you back...and congratulations on your upgraded Kinsey! The Queer Side really does have better cookies, you know....

Thrilled to hear that therapy has been working for you. And no, we cannot help what we feel. At all. Even a little. So give yourself a break, and stop *trying* to help feeling what you're feeling. Just feel it, acknowledge it, and get on with your day.

18. Markoso

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    IConfess, you're not straight, at least not anymore. Do you intend to tell your husband about your overwhelming infatuation with that lady at work? I don't recommend it, at least until you're more certain regarding your sexual orientation and thus psychologically more stable.
    I wish you all the best!

19. HopeFloats

I know exactly what you mean. My work crush on partnered lesbian took a turn for the worse this week. Take this as a cautionary tale. So despite my advice to you and my best efforts to be restrained, my attraction increased and it became obvious it was reciprocated to some degree. But the fact remains that she is in a relationship. We exchanged a few inappropriate text messages Tuesday and then had to have a talk about boundaries Wednesday. It was so awkward. She apologized for her text. I just said "you're in a relationship." She said yes. That's that. This flirtatious stuff has to stop. On one hand, yes the attention felt good and it was nice to know I wasn't making this up in my head. But I have values and she's in a relationship. And we still see each other professionally. I also feel like it screwed up out friendship. Terrible.

20. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (((((((((((( Hope ))))))))))) I'm sorry you had that experience. Do see it as a cautionary tale, and learn from it.

Hopefully with time, it needn't have permanently messed up your friendship.

Thank you for sharing it so others can benefit from hearing a real outcome of what so often feels (in the heat of attraction) like a good idea.