1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adoption

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by markosss, Jul 20, 2013.

1. markosss

hello everybody.when i get older im planing to marry and then adopt a child.now i have some questions about adoptions.is it easy to adopt?how the society will react?will the kid be accepted in school or i will ruin someones life???

2. PeteNJ

I have 1 kid who was a bio kid, 1 who was adopted. Highlight of the differences

Much much harder emotionally togo through adoption
    Far more expensive to adopt
    A million more things out of your control
    + you get to choose! (Gender, age, eye color)
    + lots of options -- local, nationall, international
    + great support

In the end -youll have the kid whowas always meant for you, and you'll rise to the occasion and be a great parent,

Be glad to answer questions, I'm rather passionate about this!

3. AKTodd

For your last couple questions, are you concerned about the child being adopted at all or having a gay father(s)?

In the case of the former, I can say that my best friends son is adopted (she and her husband adopted him before birth using an open adoption process) and has never had any issues that I am aware of. They live in Philadelphia.

In the case of the later, it might depend on where in the country/on the planet you live. The same son mentioned above goes to school with a little boy who has two moms. No one cares. If you are living in an urban area in a liberal area, the odds of arranging this sort of thing seem much greater.

On a related note, depending on your age, it may be quite a few years yet before you are ready to consider adoption and the world is changing fast. While it may be over optimistic to say that the issues some folks have with gay adoption will be totally gone by the time you are ready, they seem likely to have gotten to be smaller than they are now. So you may have more options in terms of locations where you could live that would be more accepting and such.

As you consider your future life, you may want to take the sort of life you could give a child into consideration when looking at potential places to live and careers and such. Which is really not so different from what any straight parent should probably do.

My 2c worth,

Todd