1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recovering from Divorce

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Bear101, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Bear101

Can I ask, for those of you who have gone through a divorce, how long does it take to recover? I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the pain, anger and bitterness.

My shrink says that it will get better and eventually I'll want to get into a relationship with someone else, but I can't imagine ever putting myself in this vulnerable of a position again.

Financially, emotionally, mentally, I'm just mush. I'm losing hope and faith and a part of myself every day.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a hard road to go through, and it is an endless process, tedious in the extreme, and you feel as if your whole marriage is on trial, as if there were laws and bylaws that you had to follow while married, and both of you have to give an account of what happened.

Every past error, mistake, false gesture and faux-pas is scrutinized for some fatal flaw that will lead to the great "gotcha"...and for what?

You're losing the part of you that was comfortable and naïve, that is a lonely and difficult road...you need to go through it, I won't sugar-coat this fact. What you are shedding are illusions and lies. It may, and probably will, get worse before it gets better.

However, do what you can to keep the faith and the hope, don't lose those, nothing ever stays the same. Seek support in your own life and here with us, you are not alone.