1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Took Major Step Today

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Bear101, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Bear101

My grandparents had 7 grandkids. All of us cousins grew up together. We spent summers together at my grandparents, saw each other every Sunday for Sunday dinner, slept over at each other's houses, etc. One of my cousins, is about 6 months older than I am and we always had a friendly rivalry, but we also had a lot of fun growing up together.

I got to see him at a family reunion today and he asked where my wife was (I asked her not to go). I started fighting back the tears and asked him to go for a walk with me.

I ended up telling him everything. From the divorce, to the financial issues, to being suicidal and finally told him I was gay.

He was extremely encouraging. He was more upset that I was suicidal for 7 weeks without telling him, than he was that I am gay. He also told me that at his job (he's a hotel manager) that his sales manager is gay and that he (my cousin) and his wife have several gay, professional friends. He also told me that he supported one of his employees as he had gender reassignment surgery.

I confessed that I was pretty nervous about telling his dad and the rest of his family (not doing it any time soon) and he told me that none of them would care and that they will be more worried about my happiness than about the fact that I'm gay.

I wasn't even planning on telling anyone that the divorce was even happening, let alone everything else.

I'm so thankful that it went so well...

2. KingdomKeyDK

I'm so glad for you. At least you got to tell him. The good thing is that now you have lessened your burden just a little. :slight_smile: (*hug*)

3. boysdontcry

That's great, it's really good that you confided in somebody close to you. Good luck for the future progress with your family, and keep us posted!

4. Rolando4

Congrats! He seems like a great cousin :slight_smile:.

5. Bear101

He is. He's moved out of the area, so I only see him once a year or so (generally at Christmas). But they had to come back for a wedding this weekend, so they made it to the reunion. He also gave me some sites to investigate to help me find a job.