1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Hairdresser

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, Jul 31, 2013.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings folks,

This will be a light-hearted thread.

I finally did it. After 23 years of going to my wife's hairdresser, I took a chance and went to that salon in the Gay Village I've been meaning to go to for years....

First, a gorgeous woman washed my hair, along with an unbelievably sensuous head massage...

...when I regained consciousness...(just kidding, still gay!)

So I met the hairdresser Gabriel, cute, sooo cute! I guess he would be called a young twink in the parlance (parlour parlance?) and we talked about what I wanted, I explained that I've always had a difficult head for haircuts, but he took that in stride. It helps to go to a place that cuts hair for MEN...

He asked if I lived in the village, I told him no, but that I went there often. He talked about the various bars a guy like me (translation: a guy my age) would go to. A few more questions and he very skillfully deduced that I am gay (amazing really, or maybe not, since I was there, wasn't I?).

Once that was established, he started informing me of a bar down the street that has, among other things, a wet underwear contest later tonight... I mean...yeah... :grin: (after the haircut, no budget for that...drat!).

A cute guy walked in and passed behind us, Gabriel didn't hesitate to comment on how cute he was...it was all so neat.... He was 250% more meticulous about my hair than my regular guy, he knew exactly what to do, and as it took shape, I started to feel that I was starting to belong in that village more and more (weird feeling, sort of like what happens when fresh recruits in the Marines get their haircut), in other words I started to look the part (whatever the part is). I don't know how he did it, but I just feel gayer afterwards! :grin:

Can't wait for autumn when I can start wearing scarves and arm-warmers... :grin:

2. LD579

Well, this is quite lighthearted and silly. Oh, Mr. Whale... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. HopeFloats

Yay! So happy for you.

4. Ticklish Fish

I'm not comfortable with the idea of hair falling onto scarves and ruining it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's interesting how many places in the Village (mostly restaurants, bars, and some other places) have their storefronts entirely open to the street, Sainte Catherine. A hair styling place couldn't do that for sanitary reasons, I don't think, but I could be wrong. But, it's always good to find a stylist that knows how to cut your hair. Hopefully, the price is reasonable for the location and the service. The 2 haircuts I paid the most for were the worst, but they were in upscale places and I was in stuck that area for a while, so I had no choice.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My worst and most expensive haircut was in Toronto...after he was done with me I looked like "Fat Tony" from the Simpsons... :dry:

7. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

I dont know whether I would go to a hairdresser because they look good, Im more impressed with the end result, but Im really happy for you. My hairdresser and I are friends, and we gossip the whole time (still cliche for a gay guy).

Wishing you the best.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's just the thing, I am 100% more satisfied with this haircut than I've ever been with my regular guy, his good looks and the talk were icing on the cake...but I think I'm going to stick with this guy...it was a fun experience all round :slight_smile:

9. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sadly our only "village" is at the tip of Cape Cod and a "trial by traffic" to reach.

There is a fast ferry from Boston but a pricy ~$90 and my buddy cannot get on a boat. That ferry ride is coming.

Not sure why Boston doesn't have a village.

But it is affirming to meet like minded people.

10. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    You need to add a photo to your profile; and good idea on choosing a new place to get a haircut. I need to do that this month.

11. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So your Wife's Hairdresser is Hair today, gone Tomorrow :roflmao:

Sorry, couldn't resist that one, so Glad you are getting yourself together, Gay Massage next my friend, get rid of any remaining tensions :slight_smile:

12. HopeFloats

Skiff, how long does it take to drive out to Provincetown? I visited once and it was great!

13. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The drive to P-town is relative. It can range from a couple hours to many hours. The fast ferry is predictable.

My brothers boat can get there in ~5 hours from Marblehead but he has a displacement cruiser that plods along at 7 knots. The fast ferry is 90 minutes.

Weekend traffic and peak travel times can make the drive to P-town hellish.

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao:

A hair-raising experience indeed! :roflmao:

What's the difference between a gay massage and a regular one? :icon_wink

15. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It is allowed to be sensuous without straying into sexual (I think)

16. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know really, I suppose a Gay one would have a Gay Guy doing it & that would double the experience & a normal one would be done by either a Woman or a Straight Guy, um Straight Guy, Straight Guy, can I take that back about doubling the experience if it was just a Gay Guy :roflmao:

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's right! Why impose unnecessary limits? :grin:

18. wanderinggirl

The South End in Boston is the closest thing to the Village, there are rainbow flags everywhere.

19. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got my hair cut at a local cheapie chain place awhile back, that the stylist stuck out like a sore thumb in our little town because he was a short, rather ridiculously buff young Asian guy who practically fluttered around the chair. Gave me a great haircut and we chattered incessantly, and I thought nothing of it, as I told him little things about my kids (although I don't recall mentioning my wife at all!). When I paid, he asked to put my name and phone number in the computer and said sweetly "Don't worry, I promise not to call you!" I replied, "Don't worry, my wife is out of town for the weekend!" and we both had a good laugh.

Well, the next time I went there, he remembered my name instantly and we chattered and chattered again. I was not wearing my wedding ring (my fingers have shrunk due to weight loss, and on colder days it just slides off so I leave it at home). At one point he looked me right in the eye and said, "So is your wife still in the picture?" I laughed and said, more or less. But he was still VERY fabulously friendly.

I took it as a delightful ego boost for an older guy, nothing else--but I DID give him a hell of a tip!

20. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's nice to connect that way, I think! And it does indeed appear that gay guys have some kind of "special relationship" with their hairdressers...who knew?! :thumbsup: