1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding a Therapist

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SimpleMan, Aug 5, 2013.

1. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I've recently been looking into finding a therapist to help me with my issues. I don't have a job at the moment, but I want to be able to begin sessions once I do, and I am thoroughly overwhelmed.

I am honestly not as comfortable around men as I am women. Should I seek a male therapist since he would better understand my male motivations? Or should I go with a female counselor because that is where I would feel most comfortable to open up and dig deeper? Also the whole cognitive behavioral vs insight vs other approaches confuses the heck out of me.

Also I have been searching on the APA website to find a therapist and it seems like there isn't really one specific area of focus for most psychologists. Is it possible to find someone who focuses mostly on LGBT issues? Does this really matter in the big picture?

Any insights are appreciated. I realize many of these questions might be irrelevant, but I need help figuring that out.

2. endear

This is just my opinion. I would call prideline in your area to see if they have any recommendations for therapist. I would also look up your State's professional license regulation and weed out any therapists that might have some serious boundary issues which you can generally tell by how many times they have been disciplined and for what. I prefer cognitive behavioral therapy myself. If you want to get started on learning some of the principles of this therapy from self help prospective I recommend the feeling good handbook.by David Burns. As for deciding gender of therapist how about writing down the pros and cons of each and that may make your decision z little easier. I hope this helps! (*hug*)

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In real estate, it's "location, location, location."

In therapy, it's "chemistry, chemistry, chemistry."

By this, I mean you have to feel comfortable with the practitioner, though therapy itself may not be comfortable. BTDT. It's not "rent-a-friend." As for GLBT issues, their ability to be empathetic is a must. I can't give an opinion as to whether it needs to be their entire practice, but certainly a part of it.

Good luck with this. Put together the suggestions you receive here, and string together the common elements.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every psychologist has a different area of interest, different focus, and different theoretical orientation. What's going to be most beneficial is finding someone that you connect with, and who has the necessary skills to best help you.

The sex of the therapist isn't that important, and ideally, it's good to see both a male and a female therapist because each will bring a different perspective, and the issues it will raise with you will be different as well (typically, the female therapist will bring up issues related to you and your mother, the male to you and your father.)

What are the main issues for which you're seeking therapy? If I know that, I can better suggest theoretical orientations and approaches that might be helpful.

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know this might make you even more overwhelmed...but there MIGHT be therapy options available to you now in your area. Supposedly there are therapists with sliding scales that actually are affordable. There might be something else, like colleges that teach future therapists sometimes have low cost therapy available to give their students practice. (I think there would be a lot of oversight from true, qualified therapists here.)

It's worth considering, at least.

---------- Post added 5th Aug 2013 at 02:47 PM ----------

I remember this book was strongly recommended by the last counselor I saw. Indeed, he was insistent that I do one last session with him, partly to get the book title. (I quit due to the cost of his services. Frankly, I think he could have skipped that last session, and just spent five extra minutes in the previous session to give me the book title. But that's another story.)

I think I did read the book. I can't remember how much help it was, however. I hate to say this...but by that point, I was so burned out by the experience that I put less value on the book than some might. (I got burned out because the whole experience ran hundreds of dollars, out of my pocket, and I saw little improvement in my life...)

#5 BMC77, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  6. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The main area I am interested in working on is becoming more comfortable with the idea of coming out and setting up a plan to make that happen. I know I also have deep seated issues with trust and self-worth that stretches beyond my sexual orientation. I have memories going all the way back to at least second grade where fear stopped me from seeking help when a typical person would have no trouble asking for it. The internal meme "You don't deserve connection or or love." is very strong in my life. My family members will say, "I love you." but in my mind I always says "Yeah right. If you knew the real me you would hate me. Your unhealthy reactions to my struggles in the past assure me of this."

I've only had one or two panic attacks in my life, but I often feel like I am bumping up against an invisible wall put in place by my anxiety that I can't get passed when it comes to trust and self-worth. Shame makes me distance myself from friends over time to the point where I no longer contact them. I need support in this area as well. (I have bought and read Brené Brown's book which is a start.)

I know I can't have healthy relationships with anyone in my life until I address these issues so I see it as being all tied together with my need to accept myself and come out.

Hope that makes sense.

---------- Post added 5th Aug 2013 at 06:36 PM ----------

Also, I am not expecting a therapist to do all the work for me. I just need someone to help me view my problems from a different angle, and help me to set up habits and ways of thinking to overcome them. I know it will be hard and psychologically painful to deal with these issues, but it has to beat the disconnection and psychological pain that numbs me now.

#6 SimpleMan, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  7. pippi

I think the most important thing is finding a therapist that you feel comfortable with. I don't think you will gain anything from sessions if you don't feel completely comfortable with your therapist. When I saw a therapist, I asked a zillion questions at first. It was sort of like I interviewed her, to see if we could work well together. If I didn't feel as if she would have been one I could be totally honest with, I would have kept searching. Best wishes to you!

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first part (coming out plan) almost any therapist should be able to help you with, and these days, almost every therapist will have enough experience with LGBT issues to be able to guide you. The therapist I saw the longest didn't have much experience with LGBT issues and was straight, but she was amazing and gave excellent guidance in spite of not having a lot of experience.

The second part is also a pretty common reason people seek therapy. Since you're already familiar with Brené Brown's work, you might want to see if you can find a therapist with training in Dr. Brown's work (called "Connections Certification" or "The Daring Way", depending on how recently the therapist was trained.) There aren't a lot of certified therapists yet, but the ones who have been through the training have a very deep knowledge of how to address shame and work through the issues someone has with them. Of course, there are certainly therapists skilled in those issues who don't have familiarity with Dr. Brown's work as well, but her approach is probably a deeper, more complete understanding of the field than any other current methodology.

On a more general note, you probably want a therapist with a more eclectic style as opposed to one who focuses on a particular theoretical orientation. These days, there are a lot of therapists who specialize mostly in CBT, which isn't so good for working with the sort of shame and family-of-origin issues you have. CBT can be helpful specifically in developing strategies to deal with panic attacks, but not with working through the underlying issues. So finding someone who works with insight-based approaches (psychodynamic, existential, and/or Rogerian/humanistic) in combination with other theoretical orientations will probably be your best bet. Any therapist should be willing to have a phonecall with you to discuss their style and approach, and get a general sense of how you connect with them.

If you PM me with your location, I have a few resources for therapists in various parts of the country and might have some leads to throw your way.

9. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the information Chip. I'll PM you with that info. It could be possible that I would move if I find a job in another state, but I'll just shoot you another message if that is the case.

10. PeteNJ

I can say, for sure, a male, gay therapist. If you're not as comfortable around men, having a male therapist IS the way you will become comfortable, really.

If you were going to some exotic locale, would you want someone who has just read about the place or someone who has been there, many times, and who has lived it? (yes, gay, male therapist!)

How to find one....

My insurance has a doc finder -- and for mental health you can pick areas of specialization -- sexuality, LGBT, etc.

I also checked the web site of the nearby universities -- they had lists of LGBT therapists in the area.

and then I checked their own profiles at the APA and on their own websites. I narrowed it down to 3 guys, started calling, and the one that "clicked" with me on the phone is the guy i went with. And he's been great.

All the best.

11. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for your thoughts Pete. That is definitely something I've been considering as well.

12. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Update: So I had my first phone call with a therapist today to discuss starting counseling. I found him via the local rainbow chamber website. It was so nerve wracking and I feel like I probably should have given him more info. When he called my phone I definitely had the thought, "You can just ignore his call and pretend like you never reached out for help." I answered though! I've never admitted to anyone I was gay except here and via my initial email to him so talking on the phone was a struggle for me. I really like his approach though. His favored theoretical approach is psychodynamic, but he pulls from other approaches as well. My first in-person appointment is in two weeks. That is going to be a tough day! Hoping for the strength to follow through on this! He recommended I pick up "The Velvet Rage: Overcoming the Pain of Growing Up Gay in a Straight Man's World". I really want to, though I can't help but worry about someone finding it. (Currently live with family.) Baby steps forward!

Thanks to everyone in this thread for their thoughts and advice! It really did help me in my search.

13. Spaceman

Congrats SimpleMan on finding a therapist. FYI, this website offers a directory of LGBT resources, including gay friendly therapists: Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual Transgender Near Me.

Also, a used Amazon Kindle is a great, inexpensive way to download Velvet Rage and other books without worrying about someone seeing an actual book lying around. Just be sure not to use a shared Amazon account. If you don't have a credit card you can use on Amazon, you can buy Amazon gift cards at many places. They're in the big grocery stores in my area. Best of luck to you.

14. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Spaceman.

I decided it would probably be a good step outside my comfort zone to even just buy a gay focused book in public. I had this burning anxiety in the pit of my stomach on the entire drive to the store. I was shaking a bit in the store and was paranoid I'd run into someone I knew, but I bought it. I admittedly hid the book under my folded arms when walking up to the checkout. Couldn't really hide the book from the guy at the register though. My little bit of daring for the day! :slight_smile:

15. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Thank you Spaceman! I'm on my way to the grocery store right now. What a brilliant idea! So many books I've been wanting to read and thinking I'd have to wait until we split all finances and he was no longer getting notifications for each and every one of my charges. Thank you!!!

16. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Thanks! Spaceman & Db- You reminded me I need a new kindle! Have not read a book in so long! (!)(!)(!)(!)(!)
    There was this one book I read last year that was a series.....:icon_redf

17. bdman

My therapist has half of her clients as lgbt folks as she listed lgbt issues as one of her main focuses. In my unprofessional opinion, I would say find a woman therapist because what matters a great deal is who you are comfortable with and can feel free to talk about anything without holding back. That is what matters in the big picture. The gender of the therapist doesn't matter, only who you feel is right for you. If that means a woman, then that's who you should seek out.

Also you might be able to begin therapy before you have a job. A lot of therapists will work with you on the financial aspect and write off some expenses under financial hardship.

Also don't worry about all those approaches. Maybe you see a few therapists and choose the one you feel most comfortable with to see regularly. They will worry about what approach to use with you and if in time you feel like trying someone different, then you can do so.

18. Lindsey23

You're braver than I am! Wow, that's a really big step. I buy all my lgbt books online and hide them so no one happens to find them...

19. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! It's definitely a step forward. Admittedly, one of my reasons for buying it outright was because I am currently relying on my homophobic mom and my semi-homophobic dad for housing. My mom has been known to open my packages in the past if they arrive when I am not home. Much safer to have a random stranger assume I'm gay than have my parents open the package and have WWIII break out. Will be back out on my own soon though!

20. iadsfo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Another resource to find therapists that are familiar with LGBT issues is gaylesta.org

Sounds like you are on the right track already. Best of luck!