1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My son lied to protect me

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, Aug 5, 2013.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings folks,

I spent this past weekend with my kids, we had a good time together, yesterday I went with my youngest son swimming (my daughter, being a teenager had things to do and friends to visit). The day before we went to a movie and hung out at the Old Port. My son and I were tired after swimming yesterday so we decided to just hang out around the house for the rest of the day, he played computer games, we had dinner and then I brought him home in the evening.

Later, my daughter called me about my son telling them that I took him to the park, in addition to swimming, I told her that we didn't, she didn't understand but she left it at that (he was in the shower so she couldn't ask him right away).

My cellphone was dead, so I only got my son's voice messages this morning while at work. He basically told me that he told his mother and sister that I had taken him to the park in addition to swimming. He said he lied so that it would appear that we did more stuff together than we actually did.

Once I got home, I immediately called him to tell him that it was wrong to lie and that this was not necessary. He apologized and said he wouldn't do it again. I told him I loved him and wished him goodnight.

I was choking away tears as I hung up...

He told this lie because he heard his mother complain that I didn't have enough planned activities with the kids for our weekends together (as if I can do anything much with the money that's left over after paying her half my salary). Funny, her weekends with them are not nearly as programmed or as full of "fun"...They live with her and spend time at home with her, why isn't that good enough for me?

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't honestly see why every minute has to be programmed. There is something to be said for spontaneity (wow! I actually spelled this word right on try #1! But I digress.).

What matters more is that your kids enjoy their visits.

Unfortunately, my sense from what I've read about your ex-wife-to-be is that nothing you do will possibly be good enough. Well, she might be happy if you accidentally got sucked into a parallel universe--just as long as you leave plenty of money for her on this side of the universe to universe portal...

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The kids did enjoy their stay, there's enough here to keep them occupied and there's nothing wrong with just hanging out, knowing that we are simply close to each other.

I think Western Union has a universe-to-universe money transfer facility, so even if I got sucked into a parallel universe she would find a way to grab the dough...

Karma don't fail me now!!

4. endear

If you had a lot of activities planned on the weekends, I am pretty sure she would probably accuse you of just of being the fun parent. Then I hear the non-custodial parent accused of not knowing what it is like to deal with everyday issues because every visit is a "holiday". I guess what I am trying to say its not you its her but I know it hurts just the same. Sounds like you are a good parent by reinforcing honesty and even though sounds like your son has a stronger alliance with you, that you are encouraging him to have healthy boundaries so that he doesn't feel he needs to protect you. Good job dad!

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good insight! She did exactly that, actually, she found out that I spent 24 dollars renting a three-seat buggy (the kind two people pedal as on a bike and the third one steers).

She accused me of "buying" my kid's affections...

Thanks for the compliment, I do indeed think that I'm not a total failure at being a dad, despite what my wife thinks.

#5 greatwhale, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  6. Ticklish Fish

Well, I am sure you can turn video games to a good teaching lesson, lol.

There are kids who play video games for fun, and then there are kids who put their characters into video games, such as those people who try to catch all legendary Pokemon without using master ball :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

or a math lesson on maximizing damage

and like BMC said, some wind down time is good too.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Brené Brown in her newest work talks a lot about family and child raising. It turns out that healthy parenting is *not* focused on "programmed" activities, but the quality of interactions parents have with their kids.

Giving a child freedom to do things s/he wants to do (including silly things, or things that may not be the best choices, as long as they're not unsafe) is one of the ways to build up self-confidence and teach kids to learn to make good decisions. And what Dr. Brown calls "unstructured play" turns out to be one of the most important "guideposts" to living fully and wholeheartedly, not just as kids but as adults as well. (It's also one of the hardest guideposts for adults to incorporate into their daily lives; we're programmed as adults that "unstructured play" is not something we're supposed to do.

Playing board games, watching movies together and talking about them, going on nature hikes in the park, reading books together... all of those can be a lot of fun for a kid, and cost almost nothing. But equally important is giving the child a say in what activities s/he wants to do.

It sounds like there's still a fair amount of animosity between you and your ex. If it's possible, it might be worthwhile to meet with her (with a counselor, if there's money for it) and try to talk about what's best for the kids. One of my friends just split up with his wife, and they have a seven-year old. Although he and his wife don't get along terrilbly well, they still, for the benefit of their son, do things together occasionally, and they talk frequently to ensure they're on the same page about how to raise their child. Both have done a lot of counseling work, so it's easier for them to talk openly and not hold onto the anger, so you and your ex may not be at that point yet... but if you can try to engage her with the intent of focusing on the children's needs... maybe you can get her on board with making that the focus, and not her anger toward you.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are more than correct about this and about over-programming our kids (one of the many points of contention between us). Our main dispute at present is that she does not want to take her share of the responsibility for our debts (normally split 50/50 in this jurisdiction, plus I was willing to take on more of the burden anyway), which means litigation and lots of legal talk. I'm in a Catch-22 situation, the more I defend myself, the greater the animosity, so that we have had a very difficult time just talking to each other.

Naturally, this is horrible for the kids, she justifies her crazy demands "for the sake of the kids", she is so blind with rage that she doesn't see how damaging this really is "for the kids". And I won't even mention what her decision to go the lawyer route is costing her (ultimately, the kids). We could have had mediation for next to nothing (6 sessions paid for by the government...) and there wasn't much in contention anyway.

I agree that counselling is probably the only route, there are family services in our community that could help, it takes two to tango though...

9. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry to hear that your son felt he had to make up a story about your weekend, even though it sounds like you spent authentic, quality time together.

I'm not a parent, but I think the finest compliment in the world would be a child whose fondest memories are, "My Dad spent time with me," as opposed to, "My Dad took me here, and bought me this, and scheduled this..." The quality of the time together is much more important than how much was programmed (he states wisely). I echo the "Good job, Dad!" :slight_smile:

10. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mr. Whale, your story breaks my heart. Nobody should be made to feel that way. I am sorry your wife is so bitter that she cannot look objectively at your situation and parenting. We all have our ways of doing things, and IF you aren't spending enough "quality time" with your kids, that is between you and them...hopefully, they'd be kind enough to let you know if they felt that way.

11. Munyal

I have more fun with my parents when they haven't scheduled things, because they are less worked up about trying to make the schedule be "fun". I think you are doing things right.

12. crickett

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am so sorry. I am on the verge of tears reading your post. Let me assure you the most memorable times with my father were the unplanned and unstructured times. I am fortunate that my parents were together until his death. However, I did have structured and unstructured times. Some of the unstructured was standing by Dad as he shaved as a boy. Going for a ride in the car. Walking to the drug store for a coke. Sitting together and saying nothing, just being there was enough.

If I were there, I would give you a hug. In addition, if your children were there too, and they were receptive, I would hug them too. Time does not need to be schedule to the nanosecond. Live life, enjoy each other. You are lucky, you have children. I am alone.

Craig

13. igoloo2946

I can understand why he lied, being that my parents are divoriced too. I know what its like to want to help your parents when you really can't so you end up doing something wrong. I think your son loves you and he lied because he wanted to show his mom your love for him. I feel for you and your family.
    God bless.

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This rings very true. God bless you as well!

---------- Post added 5th Aug 2013 at 08:12 PM ----------

Thank you for this, I agree, just being there was more than enough for both of us, and all the more precious for being so rare these days.

15. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is more important that your kids feel loved and welcome than any "programmed activity." Doing things for the sake of doing them is no fun.

16. pippi

I am so sorry to hear your exwife is being the way she is. Your little boy probably feels like if he doesn't say you kept him busy with taking him places and stuff, that his mom might not let him come see you next time. I don't know, just wondering if that's what he is thinking might happen.

She shouldn't even expect that you do something every second you have your kids. All those children need and probably really want is just knowing that you are there with them, and spending time with them, whether it be in your house, or some activity.

You sound like a great dad!!!

17. letzdance109

letzdance109 Guest

I just want to hug you, because you sound like such a good father. (*hug*) Seriously, I'm so sorry to hear that your ex-wife is being this way. She obviously thinks that in order to have meaningful moments with your kids, they have to be 'programmed' or whatever. But let her think that. Her loss. You're there for your kids, and that's all that really matters. Your son sounds like he really loves you and just wants to know that you will be there for him. So what, you might not have the money to take him on all these 'programmed' things she's ranting about, but you are spending time with him, and thats more than I can say about my father. Compared to him, you're father of the century! Haha, so yeah, don't be discouraged or anything like that, your kids love you because you love and care for them! You're an awesome dad! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate to ask this... But given how your wife is acting (between what I read here, and other threads, including that comment about her driving without insurance) this question comes to mind: is she competent to have the custody of the children?

#18 BMC77, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  19. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It sounds oh so familiar to me, jealous of your relationship with your Children, trying to poison your Children against you by putting you down in front of them & bad mouthing you & draining your resources as a way of hitting you in your pocket, the one problem with this, is that Kids are not stupid & they will only end up resenting her for putting you down, in their eyes, she is just hurting someone they love!

My heart goes out to you my Friend, it is bad parenting when one parent uses the Children as weapons against the other Parent, it is her who is Divorcing you, not the Children (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

20. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My fondest memories with my kids have nothing to with programmed activities. Just being together and loving and learning.

Man a nap in front of the TV with my son sleeping contentedly beside me is heaven.

Enjoy buddy... Its the relationship not the activities.