1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

travel

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by markosss, Aug 12, 2013.

1. markosss

hi everybody.if a gay couple with a child is living in a state where same sex marriage is alowed and legal can they travel to italy where? how will they recognized?what about the kid?

---------- Post added 12th Aug 2013 at 09:40 PM ----------

sorry about my english

2. RainbowMan

I know someone that's going through this. It's extremely important that both partners be legal parents of the child. In this person's case, the child was had via surrogacy, so one partner is the biological father. He'd have no issue. His partner is having to go through the adoption process to ensure his rights.

Note that I'm not a lawyer, and this is obviously not a substitute for legal advice if needed :slight_smile:

3. HopeFloats

To protect the parent-child relationship under the law, both members of the couple have to be the child's legal parent. Adoptions are recognized across state lines. So if the couple adopts a child together, they are both parents (whether or not the state has same sex marriage). If one parent is the biological parent, then the other parent needs to do a "2nd parent adoption."