1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maxx - an update

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by maxx, Aug 13, 2013.

1. maxx

It's been a year since I left my wife so I thought I'd write a quick update. If you aren't familiar with my story, you can look up my threads (Maxx) - but I left my wife after 27 years of marriage.

I'm happier now than I've ever been in my life. I'm celebrating my one year anniversary with my partner and I'm moving in with him in a couple of weeks. My wife and I continue to be really good friends, and we are now going through the divorce process - amicably. She continues to be a great friend and someone I want to have in my life forever. I went to my first pride a few weeks ago (SF) with a wonderful guy (55 here on EC) that gave me the courage, along with many others here, to come out.

I really feel like I've gotten a second chance in life - to live the life I need to live. I'm so thankful for everyone's support - I literally could not have done it without you all.

So for those looking for hope that "it gets better" - that can be true even at the ripe old age of 50 (but take my advice - don't take as long as I did - your real life is waiting for you).

With Love,
    Maxx

2. PeteNJ

Thanks Maxx! Isn't like grand?!? Wish you continued happiness! Pete

3. drs

drs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maxx, that's awesome. As you may have read, I have only started this journey very recently. I wish you the best of luck!

4. Californiacoast

Congrats Maxx! Have you ever thought about writing a book about your journey of coming out and finding happiness? I am sure alot of people would find it inspirational!

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations Maxx! We definitely appreciate tales from the "other side". It gives us hope and encouragement when we most need it!

6. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Those of us just starting on the journey salute you! Stories like yours are exactly what people like me need to hear....

7. maxx

I feel a little guilty - I haven't logged on to EmptyClosets in a while... This community was so important to me as I came to terms with my orientation - and in fact I could never have come out if it weren't for the wonderful people I found on this forum.

I have been with my partner for almost two years now! Life is good - and the shame that I lived with now seems like a distant memory. It almost seems strange now that I was so ashamed of who I am... Like another life.

My life was so preoccupied for a while with 'coming out' - which was a really important phase of my life - but now I'm just me. I'm not 'coming out' anymore - I'm out. I'm me. I'm who I was meant to be. I'm happy. Being gay doesn't define me - but it's an important part of who I am - and I'm proud to be part of the 'community'.

For everyone who still feels shame like I did, please realize there is no shame in being who you truly are. You are not broken, you weren't a mistake. Your feelings aren't unnatural. They are who you were meant to be. It isn't easy - but it is the way things were meant to be. Embrace it - love it. Live your life. Let the shame go. It's time for your real life to start.

Love,
    Maxx

8. Corwin

Wow, that's awesome, Maxx - happy to hear it! I'm rather new here, so I don't know your story, but will definitely check it out.

My 10 year marriage is a few years behind me, and I've yet to find a new partner, but I'm optimistic! :slight_smile:

9. wanderinggirl

What an inspiration. Thanks so so so so much for sharing your success with us!

10. Spaceman

Thanks for updating us Maxx and congratulations to you. Your story is a real inspiration. I'm still in the thick of the coming out process and it's on my mind all of the time so it's hard not to feel 'defined' by being gay. I'm striving to get to that place where it's just a piece of who I am, a piece that doesn't demand so much mental energy. So glad to hear you made it.

11. Linux Lenny

That's great , thanks for sharing , your story gives me hope