1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This Wonderful Pride Weekend

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, Aug 18, 2013.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings folks,

Just finished two beautiful and sunny days of a wonderful pride weekend!

The parade was today. Yesterday, I went to the Gay Village Community Day and I came home with all sorts of literature ranging from the "Medical Cannabis Access Society" to courses on choreographed aerobics (saw the dancers, they were awesome and some were older dudes with grey hair and double-chins who wouldn't look out of place in a banker's suit, dancing like Beyoncé).

There were free hugs given by the local LGBT-friendly churches; I was given half-a-dozen free condoms just by walking around, free samples of stuff were handed out, and there was info on joining gay curling and badminton teams among other stuff I'm interested in. I really did not realize just how much there is in this city that is so gay-friendly!

Everywhere, there were drag queens and buff dudes in very short pants, and people of every kind and description. The car-free streets were packed. I felt totally at home among all these misfits and oddballs, just where I needed to be. Even saw a couple of guys in black kilts!

One of the exhibits was of a bunch of beautiful guys representing Ga'ava, the Montreal chapter of the Jewish LGBT advocacy group, playing ball against a backdrop image of a beach in Tel Aviv...I spoke to them and they said they could use some participants for today's parade.

This is where I had to step out of my comfort zone: I met them this morning, not knowing anyone, just before the parade, I introduced myself, put on the T-shirt and danced my way from beginning to end at the parade.

During this time, I met someone interesting...(that's all I'm saying for now! :grin:)

2. Kenny207

D: Lucky you! I couldn't go to pride because I was sick :frowning2:Well, there's always next year!

3. BooksJeansTea

Sounds like you had a great time! :grin:

haha I love that you hopped right into the parade with a bunch of strangers and got down!! :thumbsup: (!)(!)(!)

I'll be attending my first pride parade in October and hope for a similarly fun story when I get back!

4. Hefiel

I was a bit bummed out that I didn't see a lot of Drag Queens, I think I may have only seen 3, with one in particular who was very good looking as a woman.

I really really liked the guys in the Trojan and Pfizer cars though, they were really hot. The Trojan ones were dressed as Lifeguards and this image (not actual image) pretty much sums up my thoughts:
    [​IMG]

Anyway, was a fun Pride Parade.

5. kresukun

I would love to sneak away to a Pride, but I never know the date of them. It does seem like every Pride event is a lot of fun so I can't wait to experience my first. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

Glad you enjoyed the days greatwhale and we completely understand if you don't want to mention anything, don't want it jinxed. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

6. PeteNJ

What a great fabulous time! Congrats! So glad you had the chance to go march, and, meet, umm, interesting guys! <smirk>

I tell, you, marching in the NJ and NY gay pride parades was just stupid fantastic for me too!

Hugs, Pete

7. Deranged06

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aaaaw that's so cute! Like Disney, it's magical! cool, good luck, hope he turns out to be Prince Charming lol

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your compliments people! here's a couple of pics of the group I was with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jae

jae

Awww looks like a GREAT time.... Glad you had fun!!

10. Hefiel

According to the Montreal journal, there were approximately 175,000 people attending the Pride Parade. :grin:

11. tulman

Sounds like Montreal was fun. I went to Chicago on 6-30. Got there a little too late for a good viewing spot but had fun anyway.
    Chicago 6-30-13 004.jpg

Chicago 6-30-13 037.jpg

12. Californiacoast

What a great time! Sounds like you made the most of it. I agree, so cool you just jumped in and walked! I did that with my first Pride here in San Francisco. I volunteered to be on Safety patrol, which threw me right in the middle of the parade with official duties with hot fireman and policeman, woof! With the repeal of Prop 8 this year in California, we had 1.5 million people at SF Pride!

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1.5 million? AWESOME! :eek: :eusa_clap

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why is it that they're almost always hot? It's a look, that's for sure. I have a friend who jokes that the human resources managers at one of the freight companies and at a tire store chain must be into guys because there's a consistent look among the guys who work there.

I was taking a personal interest class at a c.c. at night, after college, one semester. About 3 doors down was this classroom full of these humpy stud types whose biceps looked bigger than their brains. (Sorry). We once went on break, and I asked one what that class was for. He said it was for firefighter preparation. Case solved.

15. aardvark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And there are plenty of hot gay firemen too, they're just deeply closeted :icon_wink

16. PeteNJ

Theres a gay place in PA that has "guns & hoses" weekend -- police and fire men. :icon_wink

17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This really happened. Shortly after going to work after college, there was a tiny Asian lady who showed up to work in a bright yellow raincoat with a Polo label that looked like it was vinyl/plastic. I told her it made her look like a firefighter. She giggled and said "Yes, all I need is a hose." She didn't even realize the double entendre, not being American.

---------- Post added 21st Aug 2013 at 11:24 AM ----------

Some show off in their calendars and spend way too much time grooming their pecs. So, I'm sure there are some who are into guys. However, it's not easy work, and some lose their lives from smoke inhalation and walking into houses that collapse on them, just like that group who recently died in that big Arizona wildfire. Sad.

#17 Tightrope, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  18. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well then...I'd rather be in Philadelphia! :grin:

19. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nice.. glad you enjoyed it ! :slight_smile: that'd take some guts to not know anyone/introduce yourself/& just join in the parade with them :eek:
    Nice pic's too

I might go to a Pride in a few weeks :slight_smile: sorta looking forward to it
    (deff wouldn't be walking in a parade myself though...even if they had one(they don't))

20. Californiacoast

Oh, it's so true bout Firefighters. Gotta say we have some of the best in S.F. Also the Cops here, oh my! All the campy comments over Pride and the SF AIDS walk about how hot the cops are, and they just smile. So cool! Makes my heart flutter. Where's a Marine when I need one, woof! Love a uniform! OK... Calming Down Now...