1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rainbow guitar strap

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SeniorDiscount, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Hi everyone,

When I was in high school (in the dark, dark ages of the mid-1970's), my choir teacher at the time wore a rainbow guitar strap in class every day. He was the butt of hundreds of vicious jokes over those 4 years. The jocks in my class were relentless. If he "called on" one of them, they would usually answer with a very obvious "lisp" sound in their voice.

At the time, immersed in my own sense of fear, and wanting to take the heat off myself, I joined in on the snickering. I still feel terrible for doing so.

Looking back now, I'm astounded by the amount of BALLS this man had. He NEVER got rid of that rainbow guitar strap! Even when the entire class erupted in sneers at the sight of him removing that strap from his guitar bag.

I, myself, play the guitar. Not particularly well, but I can play vaguely recognizable versions of 100 or so pop songs from the past several decades.

Just yesterday, while remembering my teacher, I decided to go online and find a rainbow guitar strap. Guess who will own and wear one proudly in 4-6 business days? :icon_wink

Of course, I won't be nearly as "revolutionary" as my teacher was in the 70's. But it will be my own personal homage to one of the bravest men I knew. In fact, I may check and see if I can find him on any social media. Would love to shoot him a message and let him know how his legacy lives on!

2. Jim1454

Don't beat yourself up over your actions as a kid. Remember that he was an adult and made decisions for himself at the time - and yes, I'd agree, was courageous.

But good for you for ordering one of your own. Very cool.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm surprised anyone said anything. Those rainbow guitar straps were ubiquitous back then, and I know dozens of people who had them and were straight as an arrow, and no one said boo. They in no way were a "gay pride" statement, it was just a popular design in that era.

Now... if you combine that with other stereotypes... I could see why people would make fun. But my guess is he had other things he did that got him the "gay" label.

4. Jim1454, thanks for the kind words. I try not to dwell on past decisions, but it does happen occasionally.

Chip, good point. I went to a small high school in Shreveport, LA. Anything that carried the slightest homosexual "innuendo" was teased and gossiped over mercilessly. But you're right, he also had gold earrings that he would wear to the grocery store and other places "after hours." The teasing was definitely based on multiple factors.

5. Californiacoast

Senior D, why must the south be so homophobic? I grew up in a small town in Mississippi with similar mindset. I am surrounded by people now that look at that thinking with such disdain. The laughter, jeers, immaturity. I just don't get it. Over a fuckin guitar strap. Reminds me of a utube video I saw recently of a gay teen being bullied in Russia. I am not judging you, i just hate that culture. Definitely brings out the linebacker in me!

6. WindMelody

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I admit...i've been in one of those situations where i would join in...it happens to everybody...but, you learn to move on, and admire the guy for his courage :slight_smile: