1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding community

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by ormanout, Aug 26, 2013.

1. ormanout

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I went to my first local "gay party" on Friday night. It seems that there is quite a collection of men who feel that they are too old for the gay club scene but still are hungry for a sense of community. They get together once a month. I could not have felt better about the whole evening! Just not having to "pretend" or mask your gay identity for a few hours is intensely liberating. I am so thankful for the friends who pushed me to go. Another of my great "firsts" in this new identity experience.

Life is good, if you can just push past the stories and excuses in your head that make you want to sit on the sidelines. I can't wait until next month's gathering! Let's see...what to make...what to wear? (!)

2. Biotech49

I have yet to go to a gay/lesbian bar. My girlfriend wants to go to one but neither of the college towns we live in has one and neither of us wants to drive elsewhere.

3. HopeFloats

Ormanout, how did you find out about it / get invited?

4. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for sharing such a positive story, ormanout... :slight_smile:

5. ormanout

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was invited by a friend, who had been invited the prior month, but was unable to go. We both decided to give it a try and it was great. It's sort of a new thing and people have been recommended to the host. I know in my case, he told me he Googled me to find out a little about me first.

6. only sometimes

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm looking for groups/events to develop community too. FB has a gay yellow phonebook kind of thing. I found a local friendly church which hosts a board game night. So...all the Battleship I care to indulge in!...(crickets)! I'm older, not dead. LOL! Anyway, I'll go and ask around. I'm looking for leads, though!