1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh oh, sometimes I get a good feeling...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Anomie, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Anomie

Anomie Guest

I've been reading posts on this forum for a week or so now and registered yesterday. I am absolutely in awe of the genuine compassion, love, support and generosity that you offer each other. The internet usually makes me a bit fearful and disgusted of others, but I already feel safer so thank you in advance for already helping me.

I don't like lists and structure so if I you get a bit lost, the exits are up there^^^. Also I am completely honest and open with everyone but myself so I should be able to answer most questions.

I'm not sure where I belong on the spectrum of absolutes but I'm definitely not a full-on hetero male and over the past few months Ive been noticing that girls that were once attractive are just pretty to look at but not desirable. Which has made being in the 2nd year of a straight marriage weird and more of just routine feeling.

I've tried to be as "normal" of a "straight dude" as possible for a long time and it has really screwed up my life and also relationships both romantically, and on a friends/family level. I've never been kissed or in love, let alone a relationship with a man, but that is in part because I never really gave myself a chance. I don't think I've been single longer than two months since the age of 11 and yes I see how absurd that is...now that I stepped back and started to reflect. Add in religious homophobic father, small town racist and sexist environment where the neighbors were lets-be-friends and a mom that told me christopher lowell had a wife so my dad wouldn't act like a total.. you get the idea. My life has been a totally misunderstood skewed version of what it should have been.

When I'm safe and around people that put me at ease, most people assume I'm gay. I've been asked since high school by random people and in every part of my life since. Im a tall lean and pretty good looking guy that looks a lot younger than 30 with lots a quirks, mannerisms and a fun soft spoken way about me - again when I'm not guarded and not a scared walled version of myself.

So I'm totally closeted, no close by gay friends or friendly people, trapped in an unhealthy marriage not-so-straight kind of guy trying to navigate my way out of a disaster of a life I've created.

Ps typing on a phone sucks.

A

2. monotone

Hey, I'm not sure what advice to offer, but hopefully you'll get to know people through here so you won't feel so alone.

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Warm welcome Anomie,

(hey, not knowing who he is I just put "christopher lowell" in to YouTube and .. yikes!!!! I see what you mean!!) :icon_wink

I think your prospects are good.. in that you seem to have arrived at a place where you are make some sense of things, albeit with some discomfort, of the life you have constructed around you... questioning it and puzzling on how to take things forward.

I'm sure EC can help. There are plenty of people on here with parallel lives to yours who will add to your thoughts.

Have you ever tried therapy (my stock question in these circumstances :eusa_danc) It really can help deal with these issues in a structured way.

Best wishes

4. BiDad3

Welcome Anomie!

You have already taken the biggest step imaginable by being honest with yourself. It has taken me almost 37 years to admit that I have a strong attraction to men. I never ever thought that I would be able to admit that. And now I've admitted it to my wife!

The road ahead will be filled with highs and lows, but one thing I can promise you is that you are going to feel SO ALIVE. At times in my life I just felt like a spectator, but now I am finally in control.

Good luck and wishing you all the best!

5. Anomie

Anomie Guest

I had attempted to edit my post an add some more pertinent information but it didn't send properly from my phone. And to truncate what it said basically I've had situations where I've put myself into them as well as been put in that I could have acted on feelings but didn't fully have them at the time. I went on a platonic day with a gay man who was about 12 years older than me at the time with his sister and he later revealed that his intentions weren't just to be friends I also had a friend in high school who dislikes: very much his friend who is my girlfriend at the time because I was dating her and I didn't know until later. But I always thought he was very cool and love his personality I just wasn't sexually attracted to him.

it wasn't until recently I realized that when I call worker at a store that I am a vendor for asked me if I was a friend of Dorothy and I didn't know it man honestly but figured it out within in an instant that I started to question more and more.now I am hopefully going to be able to talk to him and let him know where I am in my life and be honest with him without burdening him and I don't want to lose him as a friend and at the same time I don't really think it's fair 2 unload this weights on someone that you do care about.
    This voice texting is rough.

I don't know if I need a proper therapist because I don't feel afraid anymore to say what I think about myself and it's just a matter of finding the right words and timing to let things unfold properly without causing more harm because I have a tendency to be blunt and I need to wear kid gloves to notfurther damage peoples own feelings ideas etc of our relationships and what it will mean.

all support and advice is welcome and I'm glad that there are so many people in a similar position even if it sucks at the beginning I know that these realizations come at a price and hopefully when the smoke Saddles and I'm totally honest with myself and others about myself I can feel at ease and love myself rather than being who others need me to be or want me to be.

some of this will be very complicated because I work with friends and family of my wife and I can see many things going totally sideways but I'm sure it'll be worse in my head that will ever be in person and if it does suck in person more than is necessary for a healthy work environment I can find another job and distance myself from negative people and emotions towards me.

6. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome--I second the fact that you will feel more alive than ever before once you are honest with yourself. Until I admitted to myself that I was gay, I didn't realize how much of my energy--emotional and even physical--was tied up in trying to convince myself that I WASN'T. The step that takes the longest is the one where you finally realize that a) you are who you are, and b) there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. The road ahead may not always be easy or familiar, but it sure helps to actually have your hands on the wheel. Good luck!

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello and welcome to EC!

The best thing to do now is work on Plans A, B and C. Try to figure out all the contingencies and possibilities. Good for you for acknowledging your feelings and taking them seriously!