1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to explode and need to vent.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by redneck, Aug 29, 2013.

1. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok heres the thing, I'm 32 and realised in high school that the boys in the locker room (basketball) excited me more than the cheerleaders. But my dad is old enough that to this day he still spews 'f***ing niger' and 'f***ing faggot' with the same venom those phrases had in the '60s and my mom...well she is typical and a bit overbearing but I love her. Anyway I grew up basically being force-fed 'gay is wrong'. In college I experimented a bit with guys but after college I fell in love with a girl I literally knew since we were in diapers and got married, divorced, met my babies momma, and split up with her. Anyway my parents have custody of my daughter (long story) and for the past 5 years until march I lived 50 miles away. This was enough of a buffer zone that I was able to explore my sexuality and come to terms with it. (I consider my self gay but after a lifetime of social programming I still find women sexuality attractive but really have no desire to have sex with them so gay? bi? w ho needs a label)

---------- Post added 29th Aug 2013 at 07:01 AM ----------

Anyway I had a life apart from my family and about march of last year I started coming out to my friends as gay (how I self identify). I was enjoying actually being able to be me w/o worrying about people 'finding out' I had planned to come out to my parents earlier this year but some higher power decided to flush my life. The company I was working for closed down and the only work I could find was temp work I went through 4 different jobs as a temp and every time it got out I'm gay they "just didn't need me anymore". So in March of this year I landed back in my old bedroom at my parents house. My grandpa had open heart surgery a couple weeks later so I put the job search on hold for a bit. Now I have been working for 6 weeks as a temp at a new job 50 miles in the opposite direction and have orentation to get hired in full time friday (pending a 90 day probation of course). Here's where I'm at since march I've been playing the role of the straight guy at home. I've been too afraid to tell

---------- Post added 29th Aug 2013 at 07:14 AM ----------

anyone I'm gay at work (with my past experience do you blame me?) and I just feel trapped after knowing what it's like to be free I'm afraid if I tell my parents I'll be homeless if my dad over reacts. Also afraid they may not let me see my daughter until things calm down. If I tell anyone at work I'm afraid I'll be jobless...again. I just want to scream and tear my hair out AAAHHHHHHHHHHH..... I'm tired of playing the role everybody expects me to play! I'm afraid of what will happen if I tell! I haven't had one minute that I can relax and just be me in months!!! WTF am I suppose to do? This isn't working for me and I just don't know how to make things better....

Sorry about the rant and multiposts but I had to let this out somewhere.
    :bang::bang::bang:

2. monotone

Hey,

First of all, let me say how awesome it is that your username on a LGBT forum is "redneck".

I can't really offer advice, but here is definitely a safe space to talk.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi redneck, and welcome to EC!

Your life is complicated but interesting, we're here to listen and offer advice as best we can, I hope you find a safe haven here!

4. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lol, the name just fits me I wish there were a way to get my accent through text I made a video on my computer of a fire eating trick and I never realised I had a southern draw til I watched back and was like "OMG I SOUND LIKE LARRY THE CABLE GUY" but also I'm masculine and do most anything you associate a redneck doing (except hunting but do fish) right down to driving an old truck and driving busch beer. The only difference is I'm sexuality attracted to men.

I just feel trapped and I have no idea where the exit is, little on how to get to it.

---------- Post added 29th Aug 2013 at 07:54 AM ----------

lol, the name just fits me I wish there were a way to get my accent through text I made a video on my computer of a fire eating trick and I never realised I had a southern draw til I watched back and was like "OMG I SOUND LIKE LARRY THE CABLE GUY" but also I'm masculine and do most anything you associate a redneck doing (except hunting but do fish) right down to driving an old truck and driving busch beer. The only difference is I'm sexuality attracted to men.

I just feel trapped and I have no idea where the exit is, little on how to get to it.

5. HopeFloats

I live in the South. If you are at risk of losing your job, why out yourself at work? It would seem more important to form a life and community outside of work where you can be yourself - a support system since your family sounds like they won't be supportive at first, at least, though they may come around in time.

6. monotone

Wow, that is one awfully thick accent.

7. Jim1454

Hi Redneck, and welcome to EC.

As frustrating as it is, you're probably doing what you need to do right now. Fly below the radar at work and at home. Practicalities of like like having a place to live and food to eat necessitate what you're doing. But know that you won't need to do it forever.

Hopefully you'll find some comfort in at least sharing your story and your frustrations here. You'll likely also find that despite feeling somewhat trapped where you are, you can still offer others guidance, advice, and hope where they don't have any. I joined for support and quickly found myself doling out more than I was taking - and 6 years later I'm still at it.

I was also married and have 2 daughters. Thankfully though I'm in a place where it's OK to be open - and I am. But feel free to write to me if you want to connect - or just keep posting in the forum.

Welcome!

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. The job part is important. You're not being dishonest if your sexuality is a moot or irrelevant point in the workplace, especially if the area or its workplaces can be hostile. Furthermore, if you're not in a relationship or have a significant other, it's less important because you're really not being blocked from bringing them to a function or introducing them to coworkers. Definitely build a life and a support system outside of work, such as friends and then work on your family.

I've been to the South several times on vacation, such as at the beach. I was talking to this guy who had a somewhat clerical processor kind of job that had been relocated from the North. He was a sturdy looking, sandy haired guy in his late 30s or early 40s who might have been a football player in his youth. He said that he was often the recipient of snide remarks from the women in his primarily paperwork office workplace, where he sort of just did his job and kept his personal life separate, most likely because he wasn't putting the moves on them and they probably got suspicious.

9. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Hey Redneck, my best advice to you would be to set some hard and fast goals. Make them reasonable, attainable, but agressive enough to keep you motivated. Set a financial goal - saving enough to become self-sufficient again, professional - reach a point with some level of job security so you have one less stressor on you back, social - find that outlet beyond the workplace and your parents' home that will keep you going in the interim, and familial - reaching a point where you can take back custody of your daughter, come out to your parents or even just cut the strings - whatever may be your personal goal. I'm not trying to tell you what those should be, just trying to provide some possible examples.

They can be staggered. They should be staggered. No way you can expect to pull it all together all at once. One step at a time, right?

After 20 years in an awful marriage, the last 10 of which had an expiration date on them (that I clung to desperately!), I can tell you that the human mind is an incredible thing. It's amazing what it can tolerate as long as it knows that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and can perceive some consistent forward motion toward that light. (Now, I realize you're a southern boy, but don't expect NASCAR speeds.) Use your goals like a homing beacon any time you begin to feel lost. Chart your progress along the way.

It won't be easy, sorry, life in general is not easy, but you know that already. But taken bit by bit, it is doable and it will get you where you want/need to be, and I can pretty much guarantee, once you get there it will be all the sweeter for what you've endured to achieve it. I've ridden some rough roads in my life, some I wasn't certain I'd physically survive, but every single one made me a better person and coming out the other side, I could always recognize what I'd gained from the experience.

Good luck, I'll keep an eye out for you here and I'll be hoping for the best for you. Spent some time in the Deep South myself (about 3 years) and I have a small inkling what you're dealing with - dig deep and find your strength. Get on your feet, then reclaim your life. You can do it!

#9 Dragonbait, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013
  10. Californiacoast

Redneck, I come from your neck of the woods, Mississippi. I really identify with your situation. I grew up playing football, deer hunting, fishing, hanging out with the redneck boys and going home with one of the Tailbacks on our football team. I knew I was attracted to guy, but dated girls to cover up my gayness.

I agree with Dragonbait. Keeping roof over head and a job for a bit might be prudent. You might check into the Campaign for Southern Equality as an outlet while you wait for things to improve. I am a member. Unfortunately most southern states have no protection if you are LGBT for employer descrimination or housing descrimination. That's why I live in California. It pissed me off too! Makes me want to come down to the Mississippi and Arkansas legislatures and wring some necks!

But hang in there! We are here for you. Message me if you want. I have good friends in Mississippi that are gay and have built a life there. BTW, I really miss fried catfish, hush puppies, fried green tomatoes, butter beans, black eyed peas with fat back, corn bread, sweet tea, and naner puddin! Just sayin.

11. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Set a financial goal - saving enough to become self-sufficient again, professional - reach a point with some level of job security so you have one less stressor on you back, social - find that outlet beyond the workplace and your parents' home that will keep you going in the interim, and familial - reaching a point where you can take back custody of your daughter, come out to your parents or even just cut the strings"

Let me break this up..

"Set a financial goal - saving enough to become self-sufficient again,""professional - reach a point with some level of job security so you have one less stressor on you back"

This all kinda rolled together. My first goal was find a job that had a good chance of being there for a long time. I went through the temp service and found a job at a chicken plant that has been in operation fo over 40years. The work isn't glamorous but it is pretty easy and being a cook plant not a kill plant I come home smelling like chicken nuggets instead of bird sh*t.

---------- Post added 30th Aug 2013 at 11:55 AM ----------

I just now walked in the door coming home from orientation getting hired through the company which counting my attendance incentive (show up on time and work all day every day your scheduled ang get an extra $1.10 an hour) raised my pay from 7.50 to 8.85 (min wage is 7.25 here). Not great but decent for the area. I've got my eye on an apartment (4 open right now) that is 250 a month and 200 deposit I have $200 of the $1200 or so it will cost me to move saved already (2mo rent+deposit+utilities turned on) and by moving I'll save almost enough in gas to cover rent (over 100 miles a day right now). About Thanksgiving I'll be off my 90 probation. This was my first set of goals and I think I've got them going my way I just have to wait a bit for the $$$ I need but getting there.

---------- Post added 30th Aug 2013 at 12:05 PM ----------

" and familial - reaching a point where you can take back custody of your daughter, come out to your parents or even just cut the strings"
    This one I wrestle with alot because my daughter is 7 and has lived there since she was 2. I'd love to have her back but to be honest she is very well cared for in a stable loving environment. I'm not sure I could provides the same stability myself and don't know if it would be fair to her to remove her from the place she calls home to satisfy my wants.
    Coming out to my parents is on the to do list I had planned to do it earlier this year (after xmas & holidays) with the hope that if they over reacted that things would have started to settle by now but life flipped me and this is on hold til I get righted again.

12. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "social - find that outlet beyond the workplace and your parents' home that will keep you going in the interim"

This is the one that is killing me! Before life flipped me I wasn't out to my family but all my friend and most people I worked with knew. I had the freedom to just be me and if someone followed my gaze and saw a guy there I didn't have to worry "Is he gonna make a scene" or "what is my friend gonna think /do now" and we banter back and forth them (playfully) teasing me about being gay and me teasing them about being straight. For the first time in my life I felt like I was the person that I should have always been I was out of the closet and was truly happy. Then life came along and shoved me back in and locked the door. Now I have to play the role of 'daddy's big strapping straight son he can be proud of' while I'm at home and I know what could happen if I get found out at work (I think they are a little more tolerant here but don't wanna risk it) so I sit in a place looking out the window

---------- Post added 30th Aug 2013 at 12:38 PM ----------

so that I don't get caught checking out a guy or something. If the conversation goes somewhere I'm afraid I might slip and say something that would out me I sit quietly, smile, laugh off any questions thrown my way, and try to change the subject. This is torture! Its like before I started exploring my sexuality I could have went my whole life wandering what I was missing but never knowing what I was truly missing. But now I have explored my sexuality and don't remember how I could have ever even wanted to try being straight. Now I am forced to be straight again or at least just put on a good front that I'm straight and if anyone finds out different there would be huge consequences. But now I know what I'm missing and its driving me absolutely bonkers that I cannot have AND I GOTTA KEEP THIS RIDICULOUS ACT UP AND I DONT F***ING WANT TOO.

As far as a circle away from work and family I just don't have time. I leave the house at 3pm get home around 5am by the time I get showered and eat I go to bed so I can do

13. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Redneck - honestly, I wasn't trying to tell you what your goals should be - only you can decide that, you need to do what is best for you, and for your peace of mind that includes what is best for your daughter. You have no need to explain or justify ANY of your goals to anyone other than yourself and those personally involved in helping you achieve them - and even then they only need to know as much or as little is necessary and relevant to their role.

I was just using a few examples based on what you'd shared, things that would be measurable, so that when you started feeling like you were going to explode you could take a step back and take inventory on where you are in relation to where you want to be and assure yourself that you are in fact getting there and your current situation would not last forever.

But it sounds like I was offering redundant advice. You're already well on your way! Now just remind yourself of that every time you cringe at being back in your old bedroom at your parents' house. This is not forever, it's just for the moment, and you can deal with that, right?

Again, I know it's not easy. I'm playing my own waiting game, but I've got my own list and I'm doing everything I can to continue making progress, and every time I can check one more thing off that list I do a little (!) happy dance inside because I know I am one step closer to where I really really want to be.

Good luck - it'll be worth it in the long run, as you can tell by the evidence of those great folks here who have been through their own sh*t and come out the other side happier for it, and now are kind enough to encourage people like you and me that we can do it too.

14. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    this game all over again tomorrow. On the weekends my family keeps me so buisy I never know if I'm coming or going while I listen to them complain "this isn't a free ride you know".

So I have been stuck in this damn cherade for months w/o anywhere to turn and I'm weary and frustrated and I know I still have at least a couple months of this BS to go.

I AM MISERABLE AND JUST WANT TO BE ME AGAIN!!!! Even if it's just for one day. At least I could recharge my batteries a bit.

---------- Post added 30th Aug 2013 at 01:03 PM ----------

"honestly, I wasn't trying to tell you what your goals should be - only you can decide that, you need to do what is best for you, and for your peace of mind"

I fully understand that was just trying to convey that I'm working the stuff that $$ can fix and to let people understand where I am as I am new here and nobody knows anything about me really. It's the emotional side that is killing me and I just don't have anywhere to turn for support right now. Am hoping that I if can get the apartment that things will get better here too. It would save over 2 hours driving every day plus apartments don't have 4 acres that needs me to bust my butt every time I get time off so I might actually have time for a social life.

15. flatlander48

If there is an over-riding thought, it would be:

You aren't the first, and you won't be the last...

...regarding coming out and when and where and how to do it. Hopefully it is something that we do consciously rather than have it happen inadvertently or purposefully by someone wishing to embarrass us. So, the important thing is to come out on our own terms.

Bacause there is a lot of personal "stuff" involved, it's difficult to make suggestions. So, I'll say 2 things:

1. For the people you come in contact with, you have to consider their reactions and possible consequences. If it looks like there are too many possible negatives, or the significant people in your life could be negative, perhaps the timing isn't right. When revisiting at some point in the future you may find that opinions have shifted or at least softened. We also can't assume that if you tell one person and swear them to secrecy that things will go as you expect. Humans are fallible. We usually mean well, but that may not be what happens. Further, no one has figured out how to unring a bell.
    2. Taking care of yourself is of primary importance. Whatever you do that makes you feel good, or causes you to reflect on the good things in your life, Do That. Life is about balance and often you have to make a conscious effort to regain that balance. I could tell you what does it for me, but more than likely it would would be different for you. Whatever it is, Find It.

Hang in there...

16. Feijoa

Hey Redneck

It's good to vent; it helps to clear a path of thought in the mind and clear the rage to see what the big picture is. I don't live in the South but I have a similar situation where I do live. It's hard at times to realise that you are semi back in the closet because other things could be jeopardised - survival things.

And whilst being able to be yourself is also a matter of survival, you yourself understand that you have to get some other things in place before you can have that peace of mind to be yourself. It is tough coming to terms with that but it also drives you to reach those goals.

Good luck, and keep venting - it will keep you sane.

17. Trailblazer

You sound a bit like me man lol. Granted I've never lived out on my own yet, just in my early 20's and haven't had the best of luck so far, or really been out to too many people. Hell I only just had my first halfassed date(was cut short and we just talked a bit, might not count as a date at all lol) a couple weeks ago. It was enough for me to know what I'm missing out on holding up my front. I can't come out until I have my own place though, my brother knows and he even insisted I wait, my dad won't take it well at all. So I'm saving up now, long drive to work for not great wage, just got fulltime there. I doubt I would have much trouble being out there, I just don't want to. It's still a temporary place for me.

I grew up in a pretty rural place too, love trucks, fishing, quads, etc. Never want to leave the country behind, but I know there's more accepting areas than where I am, so my plan is to just move. Don't really have much advice or anything. You already know what you have to do though and your working towards it. Just keep your head up and know your not alone. You'll get to where you want to be.

18. AAASAS

Make a serious plan to move out.

Get a job that pays better than crap wages so you can afford to rent a room somewhere else.

It seems all your problems are financial, so it would be best to focus on that.

It would be far too stressful for you to deal with your problems without having a steady job.

I know what it is like to feel like you could be homeless next week, I used to not get a long with my parents so well because I am gay. Even though they are cool with it, and have been kicked out before(I slept in my highschool shop class cars for about 2 weeks in grade 12). Being homeless is not fun.

Really stop focusing on the gay thing and focus on the getting out of there thing. That is the one thing that will make you feel better, and if you can't fix your gay problem while at home with your dad, then you neeed to try to fix your financial problem.

If you are somewhat financially secure there will be less stress to tell your father.