1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking Like A Dyke?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Biotech49, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Biotech49

I've done this before. I got a really short haircut. I liked it before and I like it now. It was 101 today where I live and I immediately felt much cooler.

Reactions from family have been terrible. My youngest son is the only one who said he liked it.

So, not only do I dress like a dyke, my hair has "that" look now too.

Did I do it to look like a dyke? No. I did it because I REALLY like that look.

Anyone else on here look butch?

2. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not me.

BUT...if you *like* it, and you got it cut that way *because* you like it...who cares?

It doesn't even matter *why* you like it. You may like it because it feels good/cool. You may like it because you think it's attractive. You may like it because it makes a statement. You may like it because it makes it easier to wear your favorite hat. You may like it because it looks dykish (I guess that's making a statement again, but I'm all for overstatement :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

The point is that if you like it for *any* reason, the hell with whether other people appreciate it. Love it, because it's you and makes you happy! Celebrate that!!

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    what biAnnika said. Also for the record if that's the haircut your talking about in your avatar it both suits you and looks nice...I never did understand the 'butch' label

EDIT: and I don;t mean just if thats the one, I mean that one looks nice...ah hell you know what I mean!

4. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh Ellia...you're so cute!

5. Biotech49

Nope, my avatar picture shows me before today. When I fix it just right I might change my avatar. I'm not too worried about what people think anymore. I'm too old for that!

6. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah best not to worry about how other people label you. I've been called dyke, dyke-y, butch, and butch-y (by LGBT friends actually). It used to bother me because those aren't the labels I use for myself. I don't label my appearance. I'm just me, and actually me is super feminine on the inside, so outward labels I felt created confusion as my style of dress is masculine leaning.

I then worried that I was becoming this huge cliche/stereotype. But really, this is the way I'm comfortable dressing and looking. I don't want to change it. So whatever people get from that is fine by me. It took me a little while to feel that comfortable though.

You're fine. And I like your hair in your avatar picture. :slight_smile:

7. Biotech49

Changed my avatar to what I look like now. I did go in and get it cut shorter on top (by a lesbian friend whose wife has hair shorter than mine - lol).

Parsley, I too dress more toward the masculine side. You will usually see me in cargo pants because I don't carry a purse. I can and do wear them and t-shirts to work because I work in a lab and I can cover up with a lab coat if there is a tour coming through (happens quite a bit). I am quite feminine on the inside though as is my girlfriend. I didn't mean to look like her but I do now except she is blond and wears glasses. Haha!

:newcolor: God I love being a lesbian!

8. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Last time I had my hair cut my youngest son said, "You look like Ellen" and when my husband saw it he said, "oh you're sure to get hit on now - by women".

Now it's at this awkward in between length, so I stuck a clip in it to keep it off my face and he said, "I don't like the thing - doesn't look good". Really? How nice of you to say. Too bad. I've got a new look!

9. Jessica79

Make your appearance how you like it if others don't like it tell them to do one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I think you really suit it. :slight_smile:

10. Pixiechic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it suits you very well :thumbsup: rock what you've got and don't care what anyone else thinks, if you like it than that's the most important part. :slight_smile:

11. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The new haircut is great! :grin:

12. Biotech49

Jeez Pixiechic, wish I could look like your Shane (looks like her at least) avatar but I weigh way too much and I don't like hair in my face.

Thanks everyone for saying it looks good. It definitely feels great!

13. shiro757

shiro757 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It looks good. One of my exes kept hers short for the same reason.

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the look, and the smile that goes with it! :grin:

15. Abbra

I'm pretty feminine, but that's my own personal choice.

What matters is if you like it, and honestly it looks good on you. I know a lot of girls who aren't butch by any stretch of the imagination and have short hair. It's just a matter of your own taste really, which you seem to be happy with.

Rock your short hair, my friend. If it looks good, and you feel good, everything else is irrelevant.

16. Purplefrog

Purplefrog Guest

I now have my hair cut short in a pixie style, but otherwise dress girly/femme/make up. Inside I probably feel more masculine than I look. I got my hair cut off to have a subtle way of communicating I'm not exactly straight (although I do know a lot of straight women have short hair, and likewise lesbians do have long hair). It's hard being 'femme' and communicating you're interested in women without holding up a massive placard.

Someone actually commented on my hair today when we were discussing my sexuality - he said "I did wonder about you, you know, with your short hair" :slight_smile:

17. Lipstick Leuger

I wear my hair short also, because I am a Rehab Therapist and I just don't want to get up early and do my hair all the time. I am also to old for that! LOL

I am a Femme Lesbian, but when I did decide to go really short this Summer, some of my co-workers asked me if it meant I 'was the man' in my relationship. I was at first upset, but then I realized that they are ignorant, and once I explained that hair is just a stereotype, they said they felt stupid about it. Wear your hair how it is comfortable and best for you.

18. Biotech49

Went to a birthday bbq with friends. They all said they liked it and that I should spike it more. I probably will. It ought to be interesting walking into work on Tuesday.

19. AAASAS

I work at Home Depot; nobody say anything I know it's pathetic, and the four known lesbians there all have short hair. Not saying it is a stereotype, but it seems to be the favourite haircut of lesbians. So I don't really see anything wrong with it.

I think three of the girls that have the cut actually suit it and look pretty good.

One of them even styles it so it isn't that dykey.

Maybe try cutting it short but not super short so you can style it a bit.

Also a lot of straight girls rep short hair, and this was really popular in the 90's.Think about t.v shows back then and many girls had short hair repping.

One of the older news anchor ladies in my region has had short hair her whole career and it suits her she is also straight.

Right now it's just more common for straight girls to have long hair, but that can change in the future, so don't let it bother you.

If it does bother you try going for partially short and partially long and at least you won't mind and won't have to worry about others.

Sometimes conforming works, I'd rather not shave all the time, but I do because I avoid comments about my beard by doing so.

20. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

:grin: Femullet - that's the "I go both ways" look :roflmao:

[​IMG]

#20 Dragonbait, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013