1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out Workshop - Will my age matter?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by EmilyLimbo, Sep 2, 2013.

1. EmilyLimbo

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello,

I just signed up for a coming out workshop in my city. I am looking forward to it but am worried it will be focused on younger people and the issues they face (school etc). I am 33. I don't expect anyone to be able to tell me what it will be like but has anyone gone to one themselves and could share their experiences? I am bit nervous, but I have three weeks before it happens.

Thanks!
    Emily

2. Emily, there's actually probably a good chance that some older people in your town are wondering the same thing, and will end up at the workshop as well. So, it could still be a good opportunity to meet gay people in your age-bracket, even if the subject matters are tailored toward the younger pool. Plus, I think a lot of us feel like adolescents anyway when we first come out. The newness of it all certainly made me feel like a teenager again. So you might find the message more helpful than you think!

3. Lizzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Emily,

I think it is brave of you to go to the workshop, I have been hiding my desire's for years. I have been married to the same man for years, but have always desired and wanted to be with a woman. I think you should go and not be afraid of what other's think..like SeniorDiscount stated there is a good chance that there are some "older people.. "in your age bracket". Good luck, you will never know unless you do go and will possible regret not going.

4. flatlander48

Contact the organizers of the workshop and ask what the demographics are.

5. EmilyLimbo

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everyone!

Yes I was thinking there may be a few semi-older folks as well. I will ask the organizers, but I did not include my age when I signed up so that may not know about the demographics of each workshop. I guess it is true that I may have some of the same issues as someone much younger than me in terms of coming out as we are all new to this. Only I have been semi-out for a while. I will let you all know how it goes. :slight_smile:

Lizzy - I am not married so do not have to deal with this but I can imagine it is very difficult for you. thanks for the encouragement! Have you looked for an organization in your area that you could go to for advice, I know they do it all very anonymously. Good luck to you!

Emily

6. flatlander48

Hopefully if the organizers have been doing this particular workshop for a while in the same place, they should have an idea as to what to expect. However, even if they don't have an idea of what to expect specifically, most people who have been doing workshops (of any kind) are usually flexible enough to adapt what they are going to do to the circumstances.

If you don't fell like your issues are being addressed, buttonhole one of the leaders at a break and ask...

7. PeteNJ

I've been a member of a coming out group since last Fall. Here's how I feel --

Yes, being with others your age, at your stage in life, etc. is nice -- there are things that you will understand about each other that beats telling the story.

My experience has been with those from age 19 to 70 coming out. The basics of coming out, the issues, the fears, anxieties, are really ALL the same. Some of the conversations I remember most are from those much younger than me who were so insightful, and not as jaded (!).

I'm thinking this will be a wonderful experience for you! All the best.

8. EmilyLimbo

Out Status:
    Some people
    Good idea flatlander48

Thanks PeteNJ. Glad to hear that your group is helpful and inspiring. I am actually really looking forward to it and hope to meet some wonderful people of any age. I think it will help to give me that final push that I need to come out completely and how to navigate this. The hardest part about being a bit older is that making new (especially GLBTQ) friends is not as common place so I think this is a good opportunity. :slight_smile:

9. Californiacoast

I think if your worst fear is realized, and everyone is younger than you, it might not be as bad as you think. They might all look to you as the sage person with advise or the camp counselor. Go with tha flow and have fun. Betcha it is awesome!

10. EmilyLimbo

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks Californiacoast! :icon_bigg

11. OneSpirit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would totally go to something like that. Like other people said, I don't think the age thing will matter. That's one of the cool things about life, I think---that you can talk with someone who is unlike you in every single way and still find there is a common experience. And I second feeling like a teenager again!! Good luck- I bet it will be great.

12. lostman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish there was a workshop at my place .... I had to figure out on my own and at least now I have EC.