1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transgender parents - FTM or MTF - hows the relationship?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by transqueer, Sep 9, 2013.

1. transqueer

I am just coming out as FTM. I havent done any medical or real social transitioning yet. But I plan to start soon. I also have a 2 year old daughter.

I was just wondering for anybody who came out as trans after having children, what was it like? How did your kids take it? I know my daughter is young but I still spend a lot of time thinking about how this will change our relationship, how it will play into her friendships and things as she gets older.

Also, did anybody who is trans tell their children? I plan on being known as a transguy, I don't ever want to live stealth or just be a "guy" because im not. i am trans and I want to be proud; but how should I go about explaining that to my daughter?

2. Hi transqueer,

I don't have any advice for you, but I think it's good that your daughter is so young. They are tremendously more resilient/accepting the younger they are. And if you start the process soon, she may come to know you as your new identity.

There have to be books out there on how to explain this to kids...?

Best of luck!

#2 SeniorDiscount, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2013
  3. toushirojaylee

Hi there. I'm FTM as well. I want to have kids someday with my wife. We'll find a sperm donor to do that. I dont like to adopt.. In my opinion, I don't want my kid to know about it. That his dad was a woman before yada yada.. He wouldn't understand that. But I think it's best that we would let them know. I dont want to lie in the first place. As per the person above me, I would agree with you. Better if you transitioned soon while your daughter is still young.