1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old activists coming out?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by DesertTortoise, Sep 14, 2013.

1. DesertTortoise

I don't know where else to post this. I've learned a lot here, reading the stories of people coming out. But I feel inceasingly like I don't belong.

Of course, coming out is personal, involves our sense of identity, all our primary relationships. And here is where we rightfully seek support... and find heart warming responses.

Being way way older than most, even on this forum, I've done a lot of that work before coming out. I've been an activist for 50 years. I've been "Queer" long before I was ...
    "gay" . I hate that word, 'gay.' It was used to replace homosexual, because it weighed more positively on the normativity scale. Which is why I hate it. I don't want to be NORMAL. I belive we have a role to play in making this a better world--as QUEERS, and I embrace that, the word, the politicalization of our outsider status. I DO NOT WANT to blend in.

I have all the sympathy in the world for those so overwhelmed by their personal conflicts, that assimilation looks like a good thing. To be 'accepted' and all that. But in what kind of a world? Accepted by the very system that has made us so fearful of our very lives that doing what might have been easy and natural was turned into a crisis that tore us apart within, and in our relationships? To be accepted into THAT world! NO WAY! ... not for me.

Everyone here should be supported where they are in this process. But surely there are others who--where they are-- is not into become assimilationists? Who are looking for ways to be proud, and more than proud, of our QUEER? I mean--who get that this is more than about sex--though that is it's center, but connects to all the major problems in our world?

How does it feel to be coming out--when you have already and long ago accepted yourself as an outsider, and that as a good thing? How do you integrate that into your new indentity as a genderfucking radical Queer revolutionary?

.. or am I alone in this

#1 DesertTortoise, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get what you're saying, but perhaps there is another example. I belong to another historically marginalized group, the Jews, and it is striking how the debates about assimilation, and integration vs. apartness, are in parallel to the issues of being different vs. blending in for queers.

I'm warming up to the word "queer" too actually...

Jews have stubbornly clinged to their faith, despite 2000 years of persecution, will that be the fate of all LGBT folk? Forever marginalized? Will a culture develop that contains history and a memory?

Well...the stats are not encouraging. Only about 5% of Jews call themselves orthodox, and will wear visible symbols of their faith, mainly through their clothing. That's not a lot, yet if you want a video byte, just show a few seconds of a Hasid and everyone thinks they understand.

Maybe for queers, there will always be a radical element of folk who identify with apartness...visibly so...but I see what you're saying, for most it's about being part of the establishment. The recent legal gains of the past few months are also a demonstration of the success of the strategy of "normalization". And God knows, most of them are rather starved for being somewhat more "normal", understandable, I think, after so many years hiding who they are or being persecuted for who they are.

Here's an article I think you might appreciate:

n+1: California Love Story

Cheers!

3. DesertTortoise

For 16 years I lived shomer shabbas, kashrut.. .the works.

I appreciate the analogy.

The difference for me, is what it is we're supposed to assimilate too. A murderous, planet destorying, exploitive elite--who would use us as willing slaves and tools for their criminal pleasures. We are on the edge of extinguising the possibility of life on this planet --except perhaps, for the few who are building themselves armed gated "communities"... ARKS, so they can (in their delusions) float above the destruction while the rest of us drown.
    I think we have a unique perspective--on the weird way gender has been distorted and used to plank up the patriarchal corporate tyranny, what Harry Hay and the Radical Faeries thought of as a third way, a new subject-subject consciousness. That we have a role... maybe an obligation, to engage this Empire of Money and Death, and resist with our very lives becoming part of it.

#3 DesertTortoise, Sep 14, 2013
  4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

You are far from alone, but, sadly, you won't find too many like-minded people on here.

As a site, this is a great place for people to start the journey of accepting themselves. What usually happens is that when you start learning more about LGBTQ world and become more self-assured, people start leaving this place.

I personally, like I have told you before, don't categorize myself as queer, but the more I involve myself with more radical LGBT people, the harder it is to come to EC and empathize like I used to be able to.

So you are not a lone, but you will find that most people here are seeking to assimilate as much as they can.

There is a very radical LGBT scene out there, though. It just takes meeting the right people.

5. DesertTortoise

Thanks... I get how difficult it must be for people who haven't already distanced themselves from Nomativity. What made it take so long for me to come out was way different, so once it was there, I slipped almost seemlessly into this new skin.

Now I'm concerned that those coming out are being seriously misled into thinking it's possible for us to be 'normal on the street, 'gay' in the arms of our lovers.'

It's not. That's a multilayered delussion.

You can't escape by becoming a part of the oppressor class.

And nothing illustrates that more than queers in the military.

---------- Post added 14th Sep 2013 at 07:05 PM ----------

... so, do we have a responsibility, rather than leaving, to remind people that there's a 3rd way? That the illusion of acceptance is not the hope over the rainbow?

That it's possible to come out fighting, not apologizing and hoping to become invisible?

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because I am gay, and because I just can't stand my old Shul (modern orthodox-Sephardic) anymore, I spent Yom Kippur today at our only Reconstructionist synagogue in Montreal. I was there at the invitation of an old friend who, upon learning that I am gay, suggested I go there, as they are fully accepting of LGBTQ folk.

If you were Shomer Shabbos and kept kosher, then you know how radical a change going to that synagogue was for me. I think the words "social justice" came up at least 30 times during the day, and yet I can't help feeling that this is indeed a safe way for people to flatter themselves that they are "activist"...in fact, the congregants are as "normal" and un-radical as they get.

You also probably appreciate that Judaism, at its founding, was probably the most radical development in religious thought ever...so what has it become, other than a comfortable place to spend a day with like-minded, middle-class and well-educated people?

I think you're right about this one, here at EC, people are "coming to terms" with who they are; which generally means negotiating a way through being different while getting along with the rest of the world.

7. DesertTortoise

How could I not empathize with the difficulty of negotiating this transition, and thinking it's easier not to have to fight on two fronts at once. but mabe that makes it more difficult, not easier--on the one hand, coming to terms with being truthful about who and what you are, and at the same time, using a soothing lie to make it easier to engage in the world. There's a terrible contradiction here... what it is I/we want? to know the truth? but only part of it?

Maybe knowing that there are those who have no need to apologize or hide, who see their outsider status as a gift and power for truth--might make it easier, not harder! The greater the felt need to 'belong,' the more difficult the transition will be. Give up that wish, and most of the friction disappears.

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Eh, not sure. I wouldn't call it a responsibility. I'm also of the thought that assimilation on its own isn't the problem. I think the main problem is the believe that assimilation is the right and only way to go.

I, for example, will get married, will get my two kids, and hopefully I will get the white picket-fence and a comfortable job.

That being said, I will go against anyone and everyone who tries to sell the idea that assimilating is THE right way. I will go against slut shaming, misogyny, unchecked privilege and the like, but I personally do assimilate quite a bit.

I'm also a tad tipsy, so hopefully things make sense :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. DesertTortoise

My problem with assimilation... is what we'd be assimilating to--an Empire of Money and Death, Oppression and endless tyrany.

... but enough. sleep calls.

G'night! And thanks for the conversation.

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone is in a different place - just look at the lengthy period the processing of sexuality takes for some, even here on EC. Also, everyone has different needs. I was watching a movie that dealt with Stonewall. I think it was on YouTube. It was disturbing that such an event could go down in NY's Greenwich Village. In Manhattan!? Basically, it went down because there was a de facto place for the police to target, while those hooking up secretly, on their own, with a friend or a coworker would have been spared of what happened that night.

I hope I say this correctly. The acceptance that people want is to be free to love, be attracted to whomever, or express themselves sexually, and still be able to conduct a "normal" life in other dimensions - work, shop, go to restaurants, find housing, use transit, and whatnot. However, there are people with different aptitudes. Certainly, people have to thank the activists for the strides that have been made. In turn, I wonder if the activists are somewhat miffed at those who are apolitical about the cause, much the same way that the worker who bites off a bigger chunk of the work might resent the worker who doesn't. I think that some people were called to do the legwork and happy to have spearheaded the fair treatment cause for others, while others also felt called to do the legwork but might have been somewhat unhappy that they didn't get the turnout they had hoped for.

So, while this is about a global issue, it's also about individual personalities to which we cannot ascribe a collective personality. And this is about personalities, not stereotypes, in the event someone wants to make that extrapolation from the post.

#10 Tightrope, Sep 14, 2013
  11. DesertTortoise, I can see both sides of this. There are moments (especially during events like Gay Pride) when I want to wave my freak flag just because I can. People start doing outlandish things around me, and it gets my adrenaline pumping and makes me want to take it to the next level.

But then, there are times when I want to keep it "civil." Show the straight population that we are not heathens walking down the street in jock straps.

I guess it just depends on the context.

I readily admit that I don't have nearly the experience as you do with activism. I only came out in the last 3 years. I'm sure you have much more of a warrior heart than I do at this point.

12. 2112

We're not assimilating, we're just finally being accepted. We're finally being seen not as freaks, but as people with normal human emotions. We've been oppressed for decades, and probably centuries, being accepted and allowed to get married isn't "assimilating to oppression and endless tyrany", we're finally getting away from all that. Most of us just want to live regular lives with the people we love without being hated.

13. biggayguy

Resistance is not futile. We are different. Our culture is different. Our way of life is different. To deny that is like saying that Stonewall was no big deal. I will not lose the culture I just found!

14. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

DesertTortoise - you really have to allow for unique personalities and method of personal expression. Not all liberals are going to march in a war-protest, not all feminists are going to go throw tampons in TX, not all Teabaggers are going to ignore science and not all LGBT/Queers are going to grab a megahorn.

I am a liberal, I am a feminist, and I am queer and I will protest, and I will fight, but I will do it in my own way, which you may not even notice and I will certainly not call attention to, because that is not my way. I will write letters to news outlets about injustices and corporations telling them not to sponsor Russian Olympics and I will sign and circulate petitions demanding equal rights and social services, but I will never step foot on a podium.

Not everyone expresses themselves in the same way, and some people aren't comfortable expresssing themselves at all, but isn't that also the beauty of humanity that you are trying to preserve? That we're not all the same? That we shouldn't try to be?

15. DesertTortoise

What does it mean to live a 'normal life' in a country and world that is insane? What does it mean to be accepted in a culture of murder, exploitation and oppresion? What does it mean to be accepted by a country that blows children to bloody pieces on the other side of the world, and puts more of its own citizens in prison than any country on earth--while closing and privitizing public schools? What does it mean to live a normal life in a country with the geatest disparity of income and wealth since before the great depression? What does it mean to live a normal life when we are on the brink of irreversable global warming that will be the death of hundreds of millions of people? What does it mean when black mothers live in fear that their sons will be blown away on the street or swept up into the new slavery of our prison industrial complex?
    Living a normal life, means you are part of the machine that is doing all that. How can anyone who has experienced oppression belive it's ok to join the oppreser class--and for what? The right to be part of the Patriarchal system of privilege by getting a marriage liscence? By joining the military to help blow children up on the other side of the world.
    I just don't get it. We are PARTS of all this. Pretending we can 'just be individuals' is delussional. A kind of insanity--erasing the rest of reality for the belief that nothing exists or matters but the tiny bubble we live in.
    I just don't get it.
    Doesn't being Queer give us an advantage--not one 'given' to us by them, but the advantage of seeing more clearly by being on the outside? By understanding that making us look 'normal' doesn't really make us safer? The Jews in the Weimer Republic were the most assimilated in Europe. Lot of good that did them. There will always be outsiders, 'weird' people... making the world safe for weird people, not curing or disappearing them, is how we make the world safe for everyone.

---------- Post added 15th Sep 2013 at 11:37 AM ----------

... and it's the Normative world that erases difference, steam rolling everyone into a homogeneous mass of consumer clones. Staying on the outside, is where we can fully explore and celebrate our differences without constraint, without having to conform to the restrictive norms of the oppressors.

#15 DesertTortoise, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  16. 2112

I just want to be able to talk about, hold hands, hug, and eventually get married to whoever I fall in love with without being treated as a freak and without worrying that we'll be attacked or murdered. That's what it means to live a normal life and be accepted. It has nothing to do with murder and all the other stuff you said, and being accepted would be ending oppression, not being part of it.

17. I agree with 2112. My goals are just to live and love without fear of persecution.

I think the gays lose their credibility when they start breaking away so starkly from the mainstream, yet still demanding to be treated "equally" under the law.

18. DesertTortoise

And yet, being normal and accepted, we are accepted by that killing machine, and become a part of it.

It would be wonderful to be able to love, in comfort and safety as though nothing else existed... but it does exist. Getting a pass in this sick world doesn't end oppression. It makes it easier for some of us, for those who go along with it--until they change their minds--like the Germans did about their assimilated Jews. And should I mention, there was no place more tolerent of Queers than Berlin before Hitler. They were sent to the death camps with the Jews.

And we're part of it, that larger world. There is no way we can buy a safe bubble for ourselves without changing the whole system.

There's a problem here. We face up to it, think how we can work to better the world, or live in a state of delusion.

19. 2112

I just don't understand how this is related to Hitler and Jews and the "sick world" you complain about in any way...

20. DesertTortoise

Queers too, were safer and more accepted in Berlin than any place in Europe or America… with maybe France as an exception. But that didn’t save them from being sent to the death camps, because it ignores the question of WHO or WHAT was accepting them.
    Blending into a diseased, violent, patriarchal power dominated culture does not make us safe. We pose a threat to that power on the most fundamental level…the level of sex. We are subversives, even when we pretend to be like everyone else, because that power structure is based on white men who fuck only women having power, is accepted as the very order of nature.

We are safest, not when we hide our own power as outsiders, surrendering to our oppressors and making ourselves totally vulnerable to them, but by building power through what we are—AS outsiders, as only outsiders can change or bend self-repairing power structures.

That doesn’t mean we can’t at the same time fight for civil equality under the law—but only that we not fool ourselves into believing that will make us safe. It won’t

As MLK said, every injustice, is an injustice everywhere. Our fate is bond up with all those this Empire of Money and Death are exploiting and killing. We stand with them against the Empire, and we may be able to change the world. If we join with the oppressor, they will turn on us and attempt to destroy us.