1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

24 years old and terrified of ageing

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Paddy89, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Paddy89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

My name's Paddy and I've just recently turned 24. This has brought to a near crisis point an already latent anxiety: aging. I'm terrified of it.

I came out pretty late (aged 20) and wasn't seriously looking for a relationship until I graduated from my undergraduate program. As a result, I didn't have any boyfriends as a teenager or in my early twenties. I was in a relationship for about nine months when dong my master's, but it didn't work out.

I'm now 'on the market' again, as it were, and I'm finding it a real blow to my confidence. I can't seem to attract guys my own age (the great majority of whom seem to already be in relationships or else not to want one), and when I go to gay bars, I feel like I'm the old creep in the corner (it's a university town). I've tried flirting with, and asking out, other guys, but most of the people I've been attracted to me have been younger (18-21, say, undergraduates). They've all declined. I'm sure my age was a factor.

I'm not exclusively attracted to younger guys (in fact my previous ex-boyfriend and all of my previous sexual partners have been a bit older than me), and I would love to find somebody my own age, but I find this dispiriting.

In the meantime, the ONLY people who have shown real obvious attraction to me have been considerably older (as in late forties plus). All very nice guys, but I'm pretty sure that many of them only fancied me as a generic 'youth'.

I was never exactly a super cute stereotypical twink, but I'm visibly aging now (the hairline is receding and I have to do serious war with the hair in my nose, although I have at least been able to keep the same waist size I had when I was 15), and I know that I'll never be as physically attractive as I am now, which is turn less physically attractive than I was even two years ago. I know that some of this is the product of societal pressure (it doesn't help that the paragon of male sexual at the moment appears to be a 19 year old member of One Direction), but I'm really worried that I'll no one will ever find me attractive again.

#1 Paddy89, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  2. BelleLey

BelleLey Guest

You're still young, i think you might be overthinking since you feel a bit lonely. Tell yourself that you'll meet someone when it's time and younger, older won't even matter anymore. Don't worry things will change !

3. BiDad3

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, sexier than confidence. Receding hairline-schmarline! Own your looks, be proud of yourself. You're still young and have another 60 years of relationships ahead of you. Take your time, enjoy every moment you're in. When you are happy with who you are you'll attract other guys like flies to the honey pot!
    It's not about finding the right person, it's about being that right person!

4. DesertTortoise

Everything BiDad3 said.

Life don't end at 24 (my god, you're a BABY!)... or 34, or 64. I got started all over at 72! Accept the age and body you have, and you'll find others will too.

Our notions of ideal beauty--especially in our market created cult of youth, are our worst enemies.

I wish you another 60, 70 years of good loving!

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with everything the above have said, only I would go further and suggest that you not only accept but honour the age that you are...show yourself some respect! You've earned your years and you will have earned the years to come! You are born with the physical stuff, but what's inside, that's all for you to create something out of!

6. BiDad3

Hear hear greatwhale! Love that!!!

7. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have WAY more runway in front of you than behind you, like some of us do. You are barely reaching the age where your brain is fully developed and matured. You just need to find out where grad-student guys your age hang out and quit worrying about the undergraduates, and you will meet people thinking like you do instead of like college kids. Keep looking.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You might surprise yourself, in that the years won't bother you. I looked better and had my shit more together at 34 than at 24, and exuded more confidence. I think you are being excessively hard on yourself. In reality, we all are. Relax. Stay healthy, stay fit, stay mentally challenged, and stay happy. All of that takes work, but it can be done.

9. flatlander48

Contrary to popular belief, there IS Life after 24.

However, be sure NOT to text while driving OR walking...

10. GayNerd

I'm not sure if ONLY older people should post here, but:

You just have to keep looking. "There are plenty of fish in the sea." If it would help, try a Dating Site.

Plus, 24 is just the start of your real life. Don't start it on the bad side.

11. srslywtf

honestly once everyone gets into their 20s, the acceptal age bracket widens.. up till about 21 people are still pretty age-conscious, but beyond that nobody really cares so much... may be a victim of your circumstances in a college town, but there must be similar aged people. and once you're a bit older, younger people will be a bit older, and they'll get over their age-ism.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A fine example of a handsome guy older than twenty-something: Bradley Cooper. I think he's 38 this year and he won Sexiest Man Alive just a little while ago.

Aging is not the end; it's just the next part of your life. The only bad thing is that you can no longer thrive on a diet of Doritos and energy drinks, nor claim the label of "twink".

13. flatlander48

You are not as young as you once were,
    but with any luck, you’re not as old as you’re going to get...

14. bdman

Most guys over 30 would kill to be 24 again. Stay far away from those 40 something guys that are looking to date you. It's not very likely something good will come from that.
    Receding hairline can be fixed. Look at George Clooney, He started losing his hair on ER in the 90's

Don't worry about hair in your nose...later it starts coming out of your ears!

15. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe you're just terrified. It's not about your age

16. Elf Wynd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't come out until I was 24, and that was because I met my first love.

So you are at the place where I entered the gay world chronologically speaking.

Old age isn't that bad. I'm 47 and still good looking - I took care of my body... mostly. there was a decade I kinda sort of didn't - alcohol, drugs - too many parties... but all in all I fed it well, got plenty of rest and am rewarded in my middle age with few lines and few grey hairs.

Age is a state of mind.... I haven't fully grown up myself - still act and behave like a 'kid' - thus people think I am younger than I really am.

You most likley will live to see 110 years of age, and you are in a period of time where genetic and other medical science is shattering the diseases of old age. you most likely will look to be 30 when you are 60 and look 50 when you die at 111 years of age.

Age is losing its sting.

As for finding a mate - trust me, one will come along shortly.... When you are my age you will look back and wonder at your perception that a year or two was forever, since 20 years will feel like it passed in a year....

17. Californiacoast

I acknowledge your fear, and that is a very real thing about aging. But maybe more, it is the fear of rejection linked to one's age. I have found that younger guys are more attracted to me as I age. This gives me a different perspective. I think mostly it is about being comfortable in your own skin. This happens naturally over time. You will be just fine. Much love to come...

18. toushirojaylee

24 is young for me. Dont worry. *tap tap*

19. ilovebears

I'm 25, and I acquired my first boyfriend who(m?) is 33... and I think his receding hairline is HOT. There is a ton of hope for you.

20. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's weird how most of the people I see petrified of aging are under 25. You know why that is. Everyone older has gone through part of the aging process...and they realize it's not so bad.

See, you're not just "growing older". You're maturing. When you're ten, you don't like doing the same stuff you did when you were four - that's "baby stuff". When you were a teen, you probably scoffed at doing the stuff you did at age ten - that was "kid's stuff". Similarly, I have no interest in going to gay bars and whatnot. Not because "I'm too old and will get looked at funny" - I literally have no interest. I've matured beyond that. It was fine for when I was 23, but not interesting now.

And no ten-year-old bemoans their loss of babyhood. They don't stare in the mirror and get upset that they've got their permanent teeth and a bigger allowance. They're out enjoying what those years are all about. It's a good lesson. :slight_smile:

You'll mature. You'll keep growing up. And you'll keeping finding ways to meet people, make friends, get laid, and get into relationships. You'll also find different guys attractive - your tastes will mature. And thank God for that - how inconvenient would it be if I were still attracted to the skate rats I thought were hot when I was 17? :slight_smile:

Lex