1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help and advice

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by sally, Sep 18, 2013.

1. sally

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    hi I'm new to the site and are just coming to except im transgender its been a long slow process i have been hiding my self for so many yrs im scared i have a bf but have never felt gay but where i was growing up it wasn't normal to be different and got told when i did girly thing it was wrong thats not what boys did i came out to everyone that i like men and i almost lost everyone my loved friends and even family members i have told my best friend and she's been very supportive and i finally feel free and a heavy loads been lifted i was wondering is there any help you all may offer to give because i am very scared at the mo

many thanks

#1 sally, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  2. Jim1454

Hi Sally and welcome to EC! You've come to the right place. There are lots of people here who can relate to how you're feeling, and offer their thoughts and advice on what you might want to try next.

When you share these kinds of things here, you're not going to be judged or made to feel different. You've found a community where we are all a little different from society's 'norm' and therefore we all get it.

Not being transgender myself, I'll let others chime in about what you might do to help deal with the way you're feeling. Just know that you're not alone, and that you're worthy of help and support and love. Also know that this is your journey, and as such it's going to be different from anyone else's.

Good luck - and welcome!

3. sally

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    thank you jim for your kind words i do hope so

4. PeteNJ

A very warm welcome. Early on in my coming out journey EC was a life line. A very friendly, encouraging, open, thoughtful place to be -- I hope you'll find the same.

My experience growing up as a little gay boy (who didn't know he was "gay") -- is that I always always knew I was different, I felt different. I had a lot of alone time, and enjoyed doing things that were solitary. Who knows -- was I predisposed to do that, or did I do that to avoid the dissonance of being different. It doesn't really matter.

As an adult I had period of my life of sever depression, suicidal ideation.

Freedom came as I accepted who I am, was able to speak about who I am to the people in my life who mattered, hang out with other guys like me, and realize that I'm not just a man having sex with men, but I'm gay, proud of who I am, and that I can have a great life!

I wish you all the best -- we're all on a journey of self discovery and authenticity with you.

HUGS /Pete

5. sally

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    hi pete and to everyone i have felt welcome since i joined and have been reading a lot of posts and have i felt more welcome than i ever have

---------- Post added 18th Sep 2013 at 06:24 PM ----------

my main problem is my boyfriend would would he except me as a woman and not the man he fell in love with because im so in love with him and i know it will crush me if he does not, has any one been in the same position and could lend a little advice on how i could go about it as i dont want to be not true to myself as its crushing me

6. Sally, congratulations on your progress! I certainly know what it's like to be told not to act "girly." The best part? You are in control of your life now. No parent will be there to chastise certain actions. Isn't it liberating?

As far as your boyfriend goes, there are so many factors. How old is he? Is he generally an open-minded person? How long have you and him been together? Have you ever mentioned your desire to transition into a woman? What was his reaction?

Without knowing any of that, it's hard to guess. But you should prepare yourself mentally for the full range of possible reactions. My hope is that he will stand by you, but there is the sad possibility that he may not. You need to be able to stay emotionally strong and confident in yourself if this does not go favorably. Best of luck!

7. sally

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    my boyfriend is in his 60s mostly he is open minded been with him for 8 yrs i have drops hint for a long time and he just slides over it and thats why im scared