1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it possible to be gay/bi without recent experience?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Porto Alegre, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Porto Alegre

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel that I am struggling with my sexuality in a kind of vacuum because I am not currently dating anyone (male or female). My question is basically, can I consider myself some form of queer (gay or bi, not sure yet) if I am not actually involved with a woman?
    I was married for 30 years and my husband left 2 years ago. In college I had an on and off sexual relationship with a woman, then fell in love with my husband. Now and then I was aware of attraction to women, but really was intensely and sexually in love with him. Now that I am alone I am more attracted to women but afraid to act on it. There is no specific woman I'm drawn to, so it would have to be online dating or Meetup to find someone. Do I even belong on a site like this? Am I too old to date anyway?:confused:

2. penguin machine

Never too old. There are countless people in your position, up and down the age lines, everywhere from questioning to certain of their sexuality. Try a dating site, talk to lots of people, ask a lot of questions and make sure your profile reflects your interests well. People will look for anything interesting to approach you about. Say hello to people as well, most users are convinced that it won't work for them, and a little hello is a huge boost towards confidence. Everyone is in the same position, so there's no need to be shy :slight_smile:

3. Varro

As penguin machine said

We are never too old!

Big hugs and take a breath.

This site has helped me immensely over the past month since I joined, I was in the closet for 39 years, married (still married). Reading post and asking questions here has given me strength and more confidence, I don't feel so alone and realized how many other people also struggle and deal with their own journey which in some cases are very very similar to mine.

We're all queer, so your not alone, as easy as it is for an outsider to say.

Perhaps you need to relax a little and just take each day and feeling as it comes. Some one else out there is probably asking the same sort of questions, I know I do.

Perhaps find out about local LGBT groups or support networks in your area, you may then get an opportunity to meet and chat with a wider audience of people and get a better understanding of how you feel about your sexuality?

In saying that I'm struggling to find gay friends and support groups in my area, so good luck and visit EC often...:icon_bigg

4. Jim1454

You've come to the right place for sure! Welcome!

As has already been suggested - maybe getting involved in a local LGBT support group would be helpful. In north america there are PFLAG groups that are for the LGBT community and their supporters - so you could go and not necessarily even come out right away... But most people at that kind of meeting will be very supportive of someone who states that they're questioning. No matter how old you are.

And just hang out here. You'll read other people's worries and concerns and recognize them as being your own as well. Start your own threads - as you have here - or chime in on the threads of others. It's a great community we have here. It certainly helped me come to terms with my orientation when I was first coming out.

5. HopeFloats

I hadn't had any experience with women in 14 years when I came out as a lesbian. I hadn't been involved with anyone at all in the 2 years since I left my husband. I'm happy to report that I'm right back in the swing of things - sexually and emotionally.

6. Porto Alegre

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I want to thank all of you for your encouragement and support:icon_bigg
    That's why I'm here, even more than practical advice. I happen to live in New York City, which has more LGBT support groups, bars, bike-riding groups, hiking groups, theatre-going groups...it goes on forever. My problem has been finding the courage to go to one, with the simultaneous fear that I don't want to feel exposed as queer and at the same time that they might look at me and say you don't belong here because you're not genuinely gay. It's also helpful to see all the family complications and pain other people have. For me, I have, besides an absent non-divorced husband, a 19 year old mentally ill son living with me. His 24 year old brother lives here as well, after doing the usual thing for his generation (live on your own for a while, then return home when your internship is over). Both of them are very comfortable with anything non-hetero, but I'm still embarrassed in front of them. I'd feel awkward with a man as well in front of them as well, but queer feels a touch more complicated. That's why this site is a blessing for me because it validates and normalizes my experience.(&&&)