1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Married, young baby, coming out...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by bigeagle, Sep 23, 2013.

1. bigeagle

Hello, as the title suggests, I'm a married man (5 yrs) with a 4 month old baby. I love my wife and baby very much but the truth is... I've repressed gay feelings all my life. I had 'experiences' with boys when I was 5-6, and throughout my adult life I've experienced pain and conflict about my true sexual identity. I've had plenty of girlfriends and have ended the relationships because of inner suffering which I was unable to make sense of. With hindsight, I think I knew the real reason but I just could not face the truth.

Now, at the age of 40, I have been 'forced' to tell the truth. The reason for this might sound strange, but when I looked into the eyes of my baby boy, I felt an overwhelming need to be honest. So... I have now told my wife and my best friend. My sister is next, possibly today.

I guess I'm after some advice and support. Especially anyone in a similar boat..? Thanks.

2. Varro

Hang in there, I'm 49 and just came out to my wife of 15 years and also my best friend who is straight. Scary times for me, especially at my age, the prospect of starting all over again seems so daunting.

I get the honesty bit, I'm looking to come out and be honest to some very important family who may or may not accept... its scary but I feel it's the right thing to do.

3. bigeagle

Hi Varro... Thanks for your comments. I'm at a very dark place this morning. My wife has taken the baby to yoga class and I'm sat home alone, searching for useful information. I should be at work today but just can't face it... I know it will get better but this pain is awful. I feel weak and tearful, I need to dig deep and find strength within.

4. Varro

Oh yep... the tears are hard to stop, its grief. I was told to let them out, I never cried until now.

As hard as it is, get up and go walk or find somewhere to let out the pain, it helped me. Is your wife angry, mine was and still is.

5. bigeagle

My wife is not angry. She is calm but very saddened by the situation. I am struggling with my own pain and also trying to ease her pain. It's a double whammy! Our baby is amazing but I also feel so much pain because he won't have the 'normal' family upbringing. My heart is broken over and over. I'm gong for a walk in the park, hopefully that will help me.

6. Varro

Hugs my friend... I wish you all love and strength...keep in touch.

7. BiDad3

Hey bigeagle.
    Just to let you know I feel for you and I think you are really brave.
    The next while is going to be tough, but you are on a journey to happiness and self-acceptance. I wish you all the best!

8. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bigeagle, you weren't "forced" to come out. You did it because you knew inside that it was the right time and the right thing to do, and you have stood up and DONE the right thing. That strength will see you through whatever comes along to deal with. Some day your son will know what you did and be proud of his dad, not angry, and he will live in a world that will be better and more understanding when does it, not the screwed up world you grew up in which sent you down the wrong track, but which gave you the son you must now help raise into a rational-thinking man.

9. MaybeJory

This is a really hard time. It's okay to be sad. Everything keeps telling me they are proud and I'm brave and congratulations. My counselor said it was happy news.

I'm not feeling it. I see the happy out there, on the horizon. But it's an awful long way off.

Before I accepted it, though, I couldn't see the happy at all.

AFA your son. Normal kinda sucks. Normal is stifling and what brought you to this place. Raise him to know your love and to be authentic and proud of all the parts tht make him unique. That's way better than "normal".

10. bigeagle

Thanks for all the comments and support. I told my sister this afternoon - it was a difficult phone call and she was obviously shocked. I've done a good job at 'covering my tracks' all these years! This forum is very helpful for me. It gives me a sense of safety and gives me strength to get through this mess.

11. Jim1454

I'm glad you've found us here. Congratulations for having the strength and courage to come out as you have.

I was 36 with a 2 year old and a 4 year old. It seemed hopeless at the time, but it was the best thing to have happen. We've all moved on, and created our own 'normal' that has my 2 daughters having 3 dads! They're cool with it.

You're going through the absolute worst part right now. Your wife might seem somewhat OK with things, but that will change and change again. Be ready for it. Counselling for you and for her and for the two of you together would be my suggestion - because you're going to need it to maintain your relationship as friends and parents for your son.

Good luck. Again - welcome!

12. well better late than never. good job.

13. enigmeow

Welcome from the married guy with 3 girls...:slight_smile:

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC. You've already done the hardest part, which is to tell the truth and share your story. The next part is learning to love who you are, and learning to make peace with the situation you're in. Neither are insurmountable challenges.

I strongly recommend Joe Kort's wonderful book "Ten Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Find Real Love" which has almost nothing to do with finding real love and everytying to do with finding and understanding yourself. It also talks in several chapters about the special issues of heterosexually-married gay men and the issues they face.

I also strongly recommend you take about 45 minutes and watch Brené Brown's two TED talks (available on Youtube), "The Power of Vulnerability" and "The Price of Invulnerability." The experiences you're going through right now with learning to be yourself are square on to her area of research, and I think her talks will speak deeply to you... and are almost certain to make you smile here and there.

Finally, stay engaged here at EC. This can be a wonderful and safe community to explore and understand yourself.

15. jupiter2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Big Eagle, welcome. Sometimes a watershed in life makes you reassess yourself and your ideas; like the birth of your son. Wow, impressive courage to face yourself at this point. You mention your sadness over the loss of a "normal" upbringing for him- I wonder how much of this feeling is loss you feel instead. Your son has two parents who love and care for him-what a great start in life! And there is no reason why this should change, whatever shape his family unit takes. Don't get stuck on narrow or borrowed ideas of what is "normal"; think more of what works in terms of raising him together and how you and your wife can do that and remain parents; and maybe, friends. Not saying it's going to be easy, but you've got a damn good reason now to try.

16. bigeagle

Thanks everyone. Jupiter2... I really hope that I can sort something out with my wife - I know a lot of work is now needed to shift my 'perceptions of normal'. We need to figure out a path that works for us and provides our son with the love and attention he deserves.

I had a rare 'good sleep' last night - not full of disturbing thoughts and painful emotions. Maybe this is the vacuum created by telling my sister yesterday?

I appreciate the comments about courage, I need to grasp this word and realise how tough this process really is. I am very hard on my self and need to acknowledge each small step I make is a step in the right direction. Hopefully I can slowly start to build a new foundation for my life ahead.

And for Chip.... I've just ordered that book you mentioned, couldn't find it here in uk so have ordered on amazon via US. I will check those talks on TED later today.

This all seems very surreal but I guess the whole situation / acceptance is still sinking in for me. Its a difficult and sometimes bewildering time and totally drains me of energy.

2 months ago I did an Ironman triathlon, today I could not run 5km! :0

17. MaybeJory

Thank you so much for this. I watched the talks and they were so affirming.

18. jupiter2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Perhaps if you can keep living together for a year or two you will have the time to work things out and share the load of infant care- feeding, nappies, sleep deprivation etc. That's gotta count for a lot in your wife's eyes, and it's not something you should miss out on. It demonstrates your commitment to her and to your son and your relationship has time to evolve in the background with due attention in its turn.

19. bigeagle

Thanks Jupiter... the plan is for me to stay with my wife and 'share the load' over the foreseeable future. Beyond that, who knows what will happen. But... while we both look after our baby boy we must ACCEPT what has happened and NOT brush it under a rug!

I have total respect for the way my wife has handled this 'shocking revelation' and I owe it to her and myself to be responsible for our situation. Happy parents = happy baby.

20. bigeagle

Wow, just read this post from over 2 years ago! Although I've made progress in many ways... I've still not found the courage to meet a guy. Hopefully I can make the next step in 2016!!!