1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pda

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by HopeFloats, Sep 23, 2013.

1. HopeFloats

How do y'all deal with wanting to show affection in public? When I am attracted to a woman, my natural reaction is to be affectionate. But I am acutely aware that even mild affection between people of the same sex is not as freely accepted as between members of the opposite sex. If I'm dating but not yet ready to bring her home, where is safe to kiss her?

2. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that it would be safe to kiss her in quiet places with nobody around (Like a crappy restaraunt or women's bathroom, I dunno). It's probably the fact that it's PDA that people don't accept couples being affectionate.

3. AmiBee

I guess it depends what part if the US you live in. Some places public PDA wouldn't be a problem. Especially if it were in a discreet location like a car or other private spot. Just be safe when making your move.

4. I'd agree with the posters above. Just study your surroundings and make a judgment call. During the first few months I was out, I met a guy in a gay bar and we started making out. A minute later, a staff member accosted us and told us to move. We didn't realize we were blocking the restroom. EMBARRASSING!!!

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tough to answer, since I'm not really much on PDAs. I don't want to say people shouldn't display their affection in public, but I'm just not usually interested in seeing it, or in participating in it. My partner and I found a weird handmotion to do which we sort of use to indicate a hug or kiss (or more) when we're in public. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never engaged in PDA in my past relationships, mainly because most of mine were long distance. But even if it was local, we never did anything like that. No hand holding or anything. So now, I'm not sure how I'll handle PDA with my partner when I see him. But whatever, time will tell.

7. Porto Alegre

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It depends where you live. I don't like intense PDA from anyone, gay or straight, but I feel that on principle you should be able to do whatever a straight couple can, like hold hands, a chaste hug. Whenever I see a same sex couple holding hands in public I want to cheer! I don't have a partner right now, but if I do in the future I hope I will have the courage to do the same.

8. get tinted windows and kiss in the car. find a "look out point" somewhere and do it there. there really isn't a safe place. unless you are hiding someone really isolated people will see you. it may not be safe or wise to go to a remote place anyway. but if you're in your car with the lights off, you can kiss her in the car before you drop her off. i guess that's why they call it PDA. its' public.

9. HopeFloats

I really just want to be able to put my arm around her or hold hands without fear. I agree that any kisses will have to be limited to the car until we are ready to go to each other's home.

10. the best thing you can do is go to a gay area and feel free. you can try it out in straight areas and i have personally seen both men and women do this (usually younger people in their 20s). people typically stare but dont say anything depending on how big of a city you are in.