1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old, Out And Happy

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Kenna, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Kenna

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm transgender, and I've known it since I was six. Somehow the need to keep it secret was impressed upon me, and I did so for the next six decades. I fought a battle within myself and, in the end, understood that it was not one I could win.

I've come out to my wife and just recently to my family and my friends. I published a book about my struggle and eventual self-acceptance.

I grew tired of hiding. I'm not ashamed of myself. I want to be an example to younger people that you can be out and proud of who you are no matter what your age. I've joined a local group to offer support to others like me.

My real name is Ken. I'm 72. I live in Deltona, Florida.

I'm male-to-female transgender.

2. BiPenguin

Good to see you here, Ken and well done on all that you have achieved in being who you are. :slight_smile:

3. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Welcome Kenna! Your awesome! One of the most stunning women I have ever seen is trans. Just starting to understand that it is something projected outward from the core regardless of the outer physical self . When I saw this woman the other day I nearly fell over....

4. Lindsay11

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I admire your courage, Kenna. I am following a similar path, but haven't come to the point where I can come out yet. I feel that my life is winding down and I would love to live my life quietly and privately as a woman. You are a wonderful role model for people like me.

5. Kenna

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lindsay, I don't think it's courage.

You just reach a point at which you realize you've lived you whole life for others, and at the same time you have this force pushing you in a certain direction. You just get tired of fighting it after a while, because it never goes away and keeps getting stronger. You wonder if your very sanity is at risk. This quote sums it up for me:

“And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”

― Anaïs Nin

6. DesertTortoise

Welcome, Kenna. I was 72 when I came out too.

And it's wonderful. Heading to the fall gathering of Radical Faeries in Tenn in a few hours.

I love my life!

7. Jim1454

I'm glad you were able to finally make that decision - to live an honest and authentic life. Congratulations, and welcome to this community.