1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating age range

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Rose27, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

EC friends: What do you think is a good age range for dating? I'm 46. And now would be a good time to re-start the thread on flirting. Signs & signals & the whole eyes thing.

2. From what I've observed, dating seems to be a bit different from gay guys to lesbians. Lots of younger lesbians seem to actively search out "mature" women to date; whereas, lots of younger gay guys are snobby toward the older generation.

Of course, that may be a hasty generalization. But ages do seem more flexible among the women. Ultimately, as long as you and another woman are mutually attracted to each other, it really doesn't matter! :slight_smile:

3. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

I think you're in the perfect age range for dating!

(JK) if it were me - unfortunately I'm not quite there yet :frowning2: - i would be comfortable with anyone from 35 - 55-ish, but I wouldn't hold hard and fast to that upper end of the range. Some people my age are already too old, but I also know plenty of women older than 55 that could totally rock my ass! So I'd say too old is more a state of mind than a number.

Since I'm not there yet, I'm curious, why does it matter?

4. enigmeow

Yeah, 35 to 55.. 10 years either side of me.. :slight_smile:

5. Rose, I misread your post! I thought you meant "what would be the appropriate ages of women that I should date." LOL.

To echo Dragonbait, I think you are still in your dating prime! Go for it, and have a blast.

6. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

(&&&)Thanks!

It doesn't matter if its the right person. I keep getting reminded that I'm getting older by Kind folks but sometimes annoying. I'm not complaining, though I am blessed to have such caring support when I came out.
    I keep meeting women in thier upper 30's. Does that make me a cougar or is it a panther? I kind of chicken out beyond casual chat.

'

#6 Rose27, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2013
  7. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

t'aint nothin' wrong with upper 30's, if they can keep up with you! 20+ years would make you a cougar - maybe? - but <10? Nah. As far as I'm concerned, once you pass 30 it's all in the head anyway! At least that's the way it was for me.

---------- Post added 28th Sep 2013 at 07:16 PM ----------

Oh, and Sr%, I don't think there is an age that isn't the perfect age range for dating! Look at all the press the senior communities are getting because of the raging STD's... obviously, no age is 'too old'!

8. Flutters1980

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have always been attracted to older women. I am 33 and usually find myself attracted to women in their 40's to mid 50's.

9. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Funny, I just stumbled across a thread in the Chit Chat forum called "How Old Is Too Old". The 15 year olds have some very entertaining opinions on this question! Apparently most of us already have one foot in the grave - and that should be seriously considered. :sunglasses:

10. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I'd better get movin' then -
    I love the young ECers. They have always been supportive on my threads but
    ....maybe not good to mention I was getting my knee worked on yesterday.
    #getting ready for the walker. :tears::slight_smile:

11. BiPenguin

Let age be no (legal) barrier to dating. When you are ready...date.

12. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Just saw a newer thread on the topic of age in chit chat. I Will NOT date anyone young enough to be my child! That's just wrong for me I don't really care on the how much older as much. Maybe I should stop taking my coffee to go at my fav. coffee shop and actually have a little breakfast. It's kind of a lesbian hang out. Need courage!

#12 Rose27, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2013
  13. Californiacoast

Half your age plus 7 years is the younger limit. Go as old as ya wanna.. ;-)

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For most middle aged folks, which I guess starts at 40, I'd say 5 years either side of you works fairly well. Mostly, that's what you see. That isn't to say other age differences don't work. They can. Most of my friends, even ones I've met later on, are ridiculously close to me in age - within 0 to 3 years - and it makes for so much more in common as far as rites of passage go and viewing things from the same generational point of view.

15. HopeFloats

I'm 38 and I'm most attracted to women around 46-50 it seems. A few as young as 35 have caught my eye. But no way would I date 26 year old (1/2 my age + 7).

16. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've never dated... but just by thought/feeling 1yr older to 5yr younger would be what I consider 'ideal' range for me

17. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My rule of thumb is to keep it between 18 and twice my age. In any case, I wouldn't date someone I wasn't attracted to; but if I was attracted to them, I think anyone in that age range would be safe.

18. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

18? OMG, I can't possibly imagine having to deal with all that hormonal teenage angst again! It's the reason I hoped for boys when I had kids - teenage girls are a NIGHTMARE!!! And that doesn't really settle until at least mid to late twenties.

Nope. Not for me. 30 and up - CA Coast's formula hit the nail on the head for me. For dating anyway. Now if we were talking a one-up and I wouldn't have to be around when she went all Linda Blair? Completely different story... :icon_wink