1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About me

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by doglover44, Oct 2, 2013.

1. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I been in denial for alot of my life I always knew I was gay but never wanted to accept it I was raised by 2 lesbians and alot of my family is gay. I remember in school always looking at guys and not much into girls and I remember a couple years a ago me and my mom were watching Ellen together and she asked me Jake are you gay ? and I took a long pause and said no that I always remember that day cause not only did I lie to her but also to myself and that hurt alot. I also fooled around with a friend of mine in the past and I liked it. then recently I got married 2 years ago and been depressed I been wearing a straight mask all this time and dont like it guess I didnt think my mom or other family would accept me so I been taking the straight path

2. Doglover, I am having a hard time understanding why you'd think your family wouldn't accept you as being gay? If you were raised by 2 lesbians and have other gay family members, wouldn't that be a sign that they'd approve of you?

Regardless, we all support you here. As far as family reactions go, I truly don't think you have anything to worry about, given the circumstances. Are you thinking of coming out to your wife?

3. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand how you feel. I grew up with very accepting parents. They always said they would accept me no mater what and made it clear it was ok if I was gay if that is what I was. I still can't imagine telling them. I suppose I still have some self acceptance to deal with. I always tell myself I am comfortable with my sexuality but I guess I have some work to do aswell. Good luck... this is a great place to start.

4. Jim1454

Don't beat yourself up over things you should have done differently. It's a very complex issue, and some of us didn't work through it until we were older. Welcome to the club!

What is really important is what you do with this information now. Having come to the realization yourself that you're gay, and there's nothing that's going to change that, your situation isn't going to get better. It's likely going to get worse.

I would recommend counselling. Being able to sit down and talk about this in person with someone is VERY helpful. It will help you process it, and it will help you prepare for the conversation with your wife and with your family.

Good luck! You've come to the right place.

5. Lindsey23

Your story is so interesting. I think is shows just how anti-gay our culture is, or how anti-gay it used to be, attitudes are changing...

I agree with Jim about counseling. Therapy can be so helpful. I know it is helping me, I wouldn't be able to figure all this out on my own.

6. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I just feel like they wont except me I don't know why I haven't came to to wife I been dropping hints to her that I am gay but I never admit it

7. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

And I got my wife to worry about too