1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Dealing w/US Shutdown? Directly or Indirectly?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Biotech49, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Biotech49

My girlfriend got a double whammy this week. She's a federal employee who has not been working or getting paid since this began. She is now also going to a funeral for a good friend tomorrow. She is a mess. When she is a mess she seems to withdraw into herself or talk to her best friend (straight girl). I wish I could be there for her but she is in Iowa, I've had the flu since last Sunday, and I have to work to live.

I would love to help her monetarily but not too much. I would love to help her emotionally but I don't know how. I want to do the right thing! Can anybody help me figure out what to say or do? Is anyone else dealing with this travesty?

:tears:

2. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be there for her on Skype? Send flowers, if you think she'd appreciate them (surprise flowers are wonderful any time).

My partner works for the government under contract. She has been told to continue work...but all of her supervisors are government, and have not been working since this mess started. Other than this awkwardness, we've not yet been impacted. But it's damned nerve-wracking at an already nerve-wracking time of our lives.

3. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Biotech-(*hug*) BiAnnika had good ideas-Just let her know your there for her in heart if not in person. Maybe add a supermarket gift card w/flowers the next time you see her. Money always makes things weird in relationships. Its a really tough situation for both of you.

BiAnnika- (*hug*)

4. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Biotech - if it's stress that's getting her, what soothes her? Like for me, music sings to my soul (yes - I'm a Leo, the savage beast) so if I were really stressed and my SO sent me an MP3 of a song that helps me chill, that would really go a long way toward helping me. So think in those terms.

Annika - you allude to a nerve-wracking time in your lives... I hope all is, if not well, then at least okay? I know I've been stressed to the point of breaking (literally, went in for x-rays Friday) lately, but nothing life altering. Hoping that whatever you're going thru has a light at the end of the tunnel, is a "this too shall pass" moment and nothing more!

Lots of big (*hug*)s and group (&&&)s to you both!

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Our own biotech project has been put on hold as well, there's a lab in Maryland we were hoping to travel to this month and the person we want to see has been furloughed.

Our FDA interactions are also on hold.

Bill Moyers commented this morning on how truly dangerous this situation is, a group of people, the "tea partiers" are so convinced they are right, that policies put forth by the winners of the election are simply not accepted and they will burn the whole house down to save it.

If you can help your GF in any way, do what you can, don't hesitate, let her know you care. Gestures such as sending food or money will be appreciated, you and her both know that this is temporary. You're looking out for her and this is really important...to you as well.

#5 greatwhale, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  6. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Dragonbait- (*hug*)
    gw - (*hug*)

(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)

7. Biotech49

Does Pink have any songs that relate to death of this kind of grief? Sorry, weird question, but she absolutely loves Pink.

8. fortheloveoflez

I know people who got furloughed...it's bad

9. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Well dang, girl, you don't want to make her MORE upset! Not a song about grief, just some music that helps you relax. Maybe what you listen to while chilling over the paper on a Sunday morning, something slightly upbeat in tone and spirit but calming in tempo and sound.

But I just suggested music because it's what does it for me. If it isn't a thing for you - or her - then what is? What does she do when she is in a desperate need to unwind? Is it a glass of wine? Then send her a bottle. Is it a long hot bath? Then send her a tub of bath salts. Is it a massage? Send her a gift certificate to a local Massage Envy.

If it were me, and you reached out with an indulgence that really helped me relax and not stress the whole situation as much, it would mean a whole lot more than just the 'thing' you sent.

10. Biotech49

A massage! Yes! Or a day at a spa. I didn't even think of that because I just don't think of things like that for myself. Gonna look into a gift certificate for her to do that in the city she lives. THANKS YOU!

BTW, she does love music...

11. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Glad to help - sucks when life just piles it on! Hope it helps her shake at least some of it off.

12. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Massage is an awesome idea. Just got back from one for my knee/shoulder. Better than PT w/the right person. Also good stuck emotional stuff.....Biotech you might find she is less emotionally withdrawn w/you after a massage. She might talk/cry more.

Hope my EC friends are all doing better this am/pm. Hugs- Rose

13. Biotech49

I haven't done anything yet. The funeral was today. I haven't heard anything from her. I guess I am feeling quite vulnerable here. I should probably just go ahead and give her a GC to Massage Envy and call it good. I'm just afraid that doing anything right now will push her away. Yeah, I'm that vulnerable and I'm sure she is too. Touchy situation here.

---------- Post added 7th Oct 2013 at 09:49 AM ----------

One of my co-workers noticed my mood today - see "sad" :frowning2:

He said that I didn't have to be there. Well, I just missed three days last week. I kinda need the money but I would rather just stay home and cry. This isn't about me but I'm taking it harshly.

Maybe I just need to STFU?

14. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

(*hug*)Biotech- "Maybe I just need to STFU?" No!NoNo!
    Can you text her and just say you are thinking of her & wish you could be there w/her.
    Maybe your "taking it harshly" because your feelings are deeper for her than you thought?
    You might need a stay home WTF day for your mental well being?(*hug*) even if your finances take a hit?

15. Biotech49

Well I made it through my workday. I did text her and gave her a cyber hug (*hug*) and told her that I wished I could give that in person.

I know my feelings for her are stronger than her feelings for me. That's part of my problem. I NEED to settle down a bit. I make myself vulnerable. Grrrrr....

I told her that she was in need of a professional massage. LOL

16. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Biotech-Proud of you!

17. biggayguy

I'm concerned that it may affect nursing home care since many people here are on Medicare and disability. How will we function if that money dries up?

18. Biotech49

I live near a military installation. Many of my friends are not working right now because they work on post for the federal government. The town I live in hasn't felt the effects yet but they will.

My concerns with this whole shutdown deal is that we do NOT need to give in to Republican demands. I believe the ACA is a good deal for this country. Having been uninsurable most of my adult life and having a chronic condition, it something we need.

I'm affected indirectly but it kind of affects me directly.

19. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the best thing is to be there for your friend, try to do little things to cheer her up. It's hard, though, having to deal with so much at once.

We've been impacted pretty hard around here, being so close to DC...I have a number of friends out of work an NASA, NIH and elsewhere.

What's bad is that this is creating an effect where people aren't going out as much, or spending money...my boyfriend waits tables, and people aren't really in a going out mood. He made $20 in tips on a night he usually makes $80. Granted, Mondays are slow anyway, but things have been pretty slow all over the city. So this has a kind of snow-ball effect here; with less money circulating, it's then hard to pay bills/rent, and thus you get late fees, and keep falling more and more behind, especially with the stagnant wages of the past 5 years.

This shut-down is a huge mess, and hurting a lot of people all over who just want to get back to work.

I hope the Republicans wake up and stop being babies, throwing a temper tantrum. It isn't 'negotiating' when only one side has to make any kind of concessions.

20. Biotech49

My thoughts exactly HuskyPup. I can only think that this is helping the Dems in the long run, which is good.