1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do husband and son suspect?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Dragonbait, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Am I being paranoid, transparent, or just reading far too deeply into otherwise innocuous comments?

Last week, Thursday to be precise, I drove my 14 yo son to school and as we were driving he said, "Mom, you should get an equality bumper sticker."

So I asked, "Equality? What do you mean? What kind of equality?"

His response, obviously, was for homosexuals. Then he said, "That's like something really important to you, isn't it?"

Of course, in the midst of my panic, my first concern was not driving the car into the side of a building, the next was coming up with a response that didn't lay bare every single thought and feeling flitting through me at that moment. So I offered my standard (and honest at it's core) reply, "I believe in equality for all humanity. It's a human rights issue, not strictly a homosexual issue."

Then I pull up to the next traffic light and he jumped out of the car, leaving me in a total panic. What does he know? What does he suspect? What does he intuit? What is just plainly what it seems? This has been driving me nuts ever since.

Fast forward thru the weekend to tonight. I'm comfortably ensconced in my favorite chair, sprained foot carefully elevated, catching up on new posts on EC as I hear my dear husbands snort in response to whatever it is he's reading on his phone. When I venture to make eye contact (there's not a whole lot of unnecessary conversation between us these days) he starts to tell me about the Daily Mail article regarding the illegality of homosexuality in the Gulf States.

He reads, "It’s illegal to be gay in 78 countries, with lesbianism banned in 49," then goes on to say, "so you're safe, I mean, lesbians are safe in 29 more countries."

:eek:

So to cycle back to my original question, am I being paranoid, transparent, or just reading far too deeply into otherwise innocuous comments?

2. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Dragonbait-Sounds like your son is an awesome kid! Maybe he quietly picked up on something and wants to let you know its ok. He probably just wants you to know he knows but as a teen boy no discussion-details on topic needed! That's my guess. Just give him a big hug!

---------- Post added 8th Oct 2013 at 12:34 AM ----------

It's 3am...brain missed a couple essential sentences in your post.
    I don't think your paranoid. This is a tough one! Kinda sounds like husband is hinting he knows too. Think I read in another post of yours you are a 2 time Cancer survivor? After all that you being happy & healthy is I'm sure what husband wants for you. Whether they know or its all a co-incidence I'd take it as a sign to tell them soon.
    Btw: BREATHE!!

---------- Post added 8th Oct 2013 at 12:37 AM ----------

- (*hug*)!

3. Lindsey23

It sounds like they know...is there anyway they could have found out you're on EC? I once logged on and forgot about private browsing...luckily I realized and deleted the history but still, slip ups happen...I'm sorry, that's tough. It sounds like they're taking it well though, if they know.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think they know. In fact, it's really hard to imagine much of any other explanation for what they both said.

Perhaps they're pulling on the closet door and turning the handle, and you're the one clawing desperately to keep it closed :slight_smile:

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is certainly extremely suspicious that they said what they said...is there any reason why you think they said this that you can think of?

6. Biotech49

Hmmm, I'm wishing I could have heard their tone of voice. Inflections can mean so much.

7. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree, the inflections would matter a lot. For your son, it could well just be exactly what he said. I find that my children don't have a lot of subtlety to what they say--they are pretty much what you see/hear is what you get. If he suggested that equality meant something to you, that may well be the extent of it. I dropped a lot of hints to my 15-year-old that I was gay, and she knows a number of gay people, but she still seemed vaguely surprised when I told her. I wouldn't read too much into his comments.

Now the husband on the other hand....He may suspect something, true. But that comment sounds like a number of little throwaway remarks my wife used to make to me, and they were based far less on suspicion than the fact that it was a good way to ruffle my feathers. I had (and have) reached a point where I do not react to much of anything that she says, for a variety of reasons. But hinting that I was gay always provoked a DEFINITE reaction, and I think she did it far less out of suspicion than for the general entertainment value. It was a big red button with a sign on it that said PUSH ME, and I put it there myself, so I really can't blame her for pushing it every chance she got. That was the main reason it took me so much false starts for me to finally come out to her, and also why I did it so much in the heat of the moment, without a lot of thought. Is it possible that you husband was doing that? Just trying to get a rise out of you in the best way he knows to do it?

Either way--if they did suspect, would it really be a problem? They will certainly find out at some point, probably sooner than later. It might save you a lot of anxiety if they did know. It certainly did for me.

8. MaybeJory

I'm not sure. It sure is suspect, but it could be that you are way more sensitive to these comments that would be normal if you weren't where you are. It also could be that they are looking for ways to start the conversation.

I know for me, everyone else knew I was gay. I was the last one to see it. It took my husband asking "Are you a lesbian?" for me to really consider it.

How do you think coming out to them would go?

9. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, silly me, I thought this was already out with your husband...shows what assumptions we make. Now I don't know the backstory of anything here: if you've stopped having sex, it is entirely possible he's *accusing* you of being a lesbian, rather than assuming it. (The difference is that we assume things that make logical sense, when they seem the only likely explanation; we *accuse* people of things for all kinds of reasons, including manipulation, to wound, etc.)

I suppose "you're safe" *could* have been a reference to the generic third person "you're" we all sometimes use. Do you know anything about your husband's views on homosexuality? Is he the sort of person who would *accuse* a person of being gay? (We also only *accuse* people of things we find guilt-worthy or wrong...assumptions we make about all kinds of things.)

But I agree that your son just sounds like he's picked up on something intuitively...not necessarily that you're gay, but at least that you value equality (of course, aren't those stickers pretty specific to *marriage* equality?). But again, backstory is missing. How does your son feel about homosexuality? Bear in mind that the more you "cover" now (yes with statements that have a true core, but are cover nonetheless), the harder it will be to be truthful with him later.

And yes: what would be the cost of talking to your husband about this? Would it be harder for him or for you? Why? Would the greatest difficulty be in the moment or after the fact? (You needn't answer these questions out loud...they are for your consideration.)

And you should at least of get an equality sticker. *smile*

10. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think if you could take a step back and look at it the answer would be clearer. It sounds very much like they know and at first I thought maybe the 2 of them had discussed it. But then I thought maybe your son has picked up on things you may have said about your support for the gay community. And as for your husband I felt it may have come from a place of frustration he has been feeling about your relationship/sex life. As a man.. its the type of thing I may have said... almost in anger if my GF and I had been going thru a dry spell (she has some sexual issues that have caused some lengthy dry spell). That testosterone build up makes me angry often.

The other night when I came out to my GF she was shocked. I thought for sure she had atleast some idea. Things she had said over time. She asked me once why I had benn searching "gay" in the apps store. There were a bunch of reasons I thought she atleast had an idea. Well when I told her it took her 15 mins. to realize I wasn't pulling her leg. She told me she never would have thought it in a million years. She also told me I wasn't the first. She just never thought it from me. It does help that I'm a rugged burly man with calloused hands from hard work. I guess I am just saying you just never know and don't assume anything.

The great thing is that it sounds like you have a very supportive son. At the very least he supports your beliefs and gay rights. That is a great start. I don't think you need to be freaking out at all. Either way you are in a good position. They may not suspect in which case you are safe to take your time with your journey. If they do suspect sounds like your husband is atleast preparing himself and your son is accepting and supportive.

Doesn't sound like you are prepared to do something like getting an equality sticker but you may want to consider talking about current gay rights topics when they come up in the news to see if where your son is. That could be risky as he might just ask you if your gay and I don't think you would want to lie.

As for talking to your husband.... well as soon as you come out to your husband you have to be ready for what implications that may have on your marriage. I was not although I thought I was. But its been ok.... At some point you have to jump right in.

11. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Rose27, thank you, I like to think he is, although every now and then that demon of teenage possession takes hold. Yikes! Certainly keeps me on my toes.

I don't think it could be an EC thing Lindsey, I've only ever logged on from my tablet or phone (both permanently set to private browsing) and frankly both are almost literally tethered to me. Never leave any room without them.

Chip - put me in high panic mode. (note to self - Rose said BREATHE!)

GW - nothing new of late. I've been working so much over the last few weeks that they've hardly seen me more than half an hour a day, so there's not much to go on. My son often comments on my facebook activism, but with work what it's been, I haven't been found on there in forever either, so why he'd bring it up now seems out of the blue.

Good point Bio, but neither spoke with anything other than a conversational tone. Son definitely just sounded like he was stating what he suddenly decided was a good idea. Although the husband may have had a slightly humorous (?not sure if that's the right description) tone?

Although to Choirboy's point, he didn't sound like he was saying it with any venom behind it. Didn't sound like some snide comment meant to sting, more like he was making an ironic observation. Which in the context of the article, it certainly was, even if he had not directed it at me specifically. But then CB brings up other points that have me vacillating. He had gone through a phase last winter/spring where he often threw out comments comparing me to Ellen DeG or asking about how many women hit on me or telling me another woman was "checking you out". He hadn't gone there in quite awhile though, so this also seemed out of the blue. But then again, as I've said, there's not been much small talk between us over the last couple of months, so he hasn't really had much opportunity for digs. Now, ruffling my feathers he does do - quite well - just about every time we do find it necessary to speak, so there's certainly no reason for him to go out of his way like this.

Annika, I guess we're equally surprised. Thought for sure that would have come up before. Anyway, backstory way too long to add to this already massive post, but suffice it to say that no, I am not out to anyone other than "Fred" (my psyD friend who failed to respond) and my hairdresser (who outed herself back at me in reply). Nope, with the husband I'm going the Greatwhale route of waiting until after the divorce is final and the dust settles. We had so many other problems that I hardly needed another excuse and he'd finally reached the point that he wanted out as much as I do, so I didn't want to throw any more fuel on the fire. It's been over a year since I told him I thought I was asexual, and somewhere around that same amount of time since we've had sex. (can't quite remember which came first there) By the time I started to consider that perhaps I wasn't entirely lacking a sex drive, but instead maybe just attempting to misdirect it, we had long since ceased all forms of physical contact, so I didn't feel inclined to bring it up.

And I think I'd have to dismiss your 2nd hypothesis of the generic third person - definitely not his regular manner of speech.

With my son I don't feel it is so much 'cover' as evasion. (allow me my delusions, please?) But I say this because I have been, for years, extremely outspoken on all issues of equality, acceptance and discrimination as they relate to the LGBQTA community - as well as for all religions, races and genders, so it's no different then what I've always espoused. And he's completely at ease with homosexuality - we have many LGBQ friends and family (and friends we've embraced as family) both adult and teen, male and female. I often think he seems more at ease when in their company than anyone's.

I don't know. The one on top of the other just blew my mind. I can't really say what their reactions would be if they did know - I've learned from the sharing of our divorce news (and my failed outing to 'Fred') that I'm pants at anticipating the reactions of others.

I just know myself, and that I'm not ready. I still am struggling personally with way too many issues to deal with this the way I want to, eventually, so I just have to find a way to fly under the radar in the meantime. Guess I'm just nervous, the husband has a tenacious way of forcing an issue no matter how much anyone else tries to ignore him or put up resistance. Frankly, I suspect that's why I married him. He is the Borg. :lol:

#11 Dragonbait, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2013
  12. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With respect to your son, it sounds more like he is picking up on things you might have said about equality before the law; plenty of straight people I know think it is important that everyone be treated equally; if that is what he thinks too you have done a good job raising him.

With respect to your husband, consider waiting until he makes some other comment about sexual orientation, and then ask him "You know me better than anyone else in the world; do you think that at some level or to some extent I am acting like a lesbian?" Then see what he says, whether he answers the question affirmatively or dodges it, or turns it around to a question for you to answer. Maybe he will confirm any suspicions you have about what he thinks, or simply give you the opening to talk about your feelings in a non-combative situation. You can always talk about the feelings you are experiencing; you don't have to drop "da bomb" on him and say flatly "I am a lesbian".

13. Lovetoski

Lovetoski Guest

Dragon bait... Stop kidding yourself. They know. I agree with the guy above who thinks your husband is goading you. Your son is trickier. He may be feeling you out, but in general he knows where you stand on issues and is verbalizing his understanding of your beliefs-- that's a start. Your husband knows and is being passive aggressive. My husband points out women and asks " hey how about her?". He is not being nice. He is intentionally trying to make me uncomfortable. It's like a friend saying " I'm here for you, but I'm not sure so and so will be"-- this trick was used by my old best friend who dropped me like a hot stone when I didn't 'change back'. I want to tell you it doesn't matter.. Let it go... All of these are easy when you are not the one going home to a place thick with tension. And although the comments shouldn't matter and you should let it go... All I can say is I'm sorry. That totally sucks. I feel your pain.

14. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Yossarian. I have to say, that every time I read one of your posts I learn something and hence come to respect you more and more. Thank you for offering your perspective here. And now that I've said that, I have to say thank you for the compliment regarding my son. I keep reminding myself that at 14, he's still a work-in-progress.

Regarding the husband. A much more difficult subject, mainly because the reason behind there not being much unnecessary verbal exchange between us for months is that we just can't seem to talk at all in a 'non-combative' manner. At least not without twice as much back-pedaling or apologizing or explaining. It's reached the point where I can't ask if he made coffee without it being interpreted as an accusation, insult or slander. And not to point the finger, I have to be clear, the same goes for him of me. I've lost track. But should he happen to ask me if I've done something,I immediately take it as him finding fault with me.

This is the cantankerous environment we're existing in, even before my sexuality comes into play. I can't begin to imagine what the effect would be should I come clean with my feelings. When I consider doing so, I try to think about how I feel about the potential reactions. And while I was paralyzed in saying that I wanted a divorce because of how it would affect our kids, when it comes to this, it's real fear. I honestly fear his reaction. It's not some vague fear for the future, it's a fear for his immediate response. And I just can't bring myself to go there.

He's never been physically abusive, and I'm no shrinking violet - I'm physically powerful and trained in self-defense. But he has an extremely explosive temper - even my old therapist asked me if I realized how mentally/emotionally abusive he is - and after 21 years of marriage, I can honestly say that in this, I am experiencing the very first time I honestly fear, and I mean not just nerves but honest to goodness fear, his reaction to a circumstance.

I just can't do it. I need the safety - of distance and closure - before I can even consider bringing this discussion to the fore. And I sure as hell can't do it while we're still stuck sleeping in the same bed.

---------- Post added 8th Oct 2013 at 11:54 PM ----------

Lovetoski - look at all you crazy East-coasters, up way too late! Is there some strange biometric atmosphere hovering there, giving you all insomnia? :icon_wink

Thank you, you really have probably nailed it, but I am living in that home thick with tension. Can't wait until the day I walk thru a front door that heralds peace. And I want you to know how much I appreciate your solidarity. That's what makes this place so magic. I know people here get exactly where I'm coming from. And not that I'd ever wish this on another person, it's still nice to know I'm not the only one in the world. Thank you. (*hug*)

15. Lovetoski

Lovetoski Guest

Dragon bait -- in case you read my other post... I was not having my wacko tattoo placed... I work nights ... Thus the posts at all hours. As the Tim Hortons coffee guy said " sleep is the cousin of death". Night.

16. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I don't work nights & no tattoos...(I do like looking at other people's tattoos) Since I came out been waking [email protected] be the "gay" hour. At least now I get real sleep before & after 3am wake up -for months it was wicked insomnia...

17. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dragonbait, I should add to all this that my wife's goading comments have not stopped since I "confirmed her suspicions" (if she ever really DID suspect--I have a hard time sorting out what is the original truth behind some of her remarks, and what is the manufactured truth that has taken the place of it in her mind). This morning I mis-read the clock and got up 10 minutes early, and although she was not conscious enough to do anything but grab the TV remote, she managed to comment with some groggy high-school-girlish venom, "Why are you getting up so early? Do you have a date at work?" Before I had any real chance to formulate an appropriately snappy and bitchy response to that, however, the old dog barked to go out, the younger dog had to follow him and wander around outside, and the cat demanded attention and food, so I ended up 5 minutes behind instead of 10 minutes ahead anyhow!

I hate to echo other comments about just "letting it go"....but reacting in any way whatsoever will only fuel whatever fire there might be. Don't get me wrong--NOT reacting may not stop it completely. (Insert tangential Choirboy memory here--my brother used to do the same kind of thing to me growing up and my mother always insisted that "if you ignore him, he will go away". So I ignored him--and sure enough, 10 years later, he moved out of the house!) But--at least to some extent--you CAN train yourself out of over-thinking his remarks and worrying about what they mean, until the time comes where they are irrelevant. Except on holidays or special family events with your kids when you see him. Or chance meetings around town. Or....oh, dear.

18. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Well, in the case of the husband's comment, I asked who had published the article, he asked if I wanted him to send me the link, so in keeping with my old norm, I said yes, and posted it to facebook with one of my standard, "disgusts me" type comments, then went back to EC. Hoping that if I just went ahead doing what I've always done... well, you get the picture.

btw, Choirboy, just gotta tell you, you have this wicked habit of saying things that should send me spiraling into depression (Or... oh, dear) but somehow always end up making me laugh. Thanks. (*hug*)

19. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    When I first read the thread I thought, yeah maybe they both know, but after reading some of the replies I don't know.

Sounds like your son has picked up on something, maybe he doesn't know what it is though, he may have heard something that friends have said or you have said to him, but it sounds like he would be ok if you were gay.

On your husband, I think he is having a go at you and seeing what bites, if he makes one of those comments again you could just come out to him and gauge his reaction.

Its hard to tell,

one suggestion "don't over think it"

20. MaybeJory

I was thinking about this thread so much yesterday! I'm sure my 12 year old daughter knows. Even if she can't put her finger on what it is exactly that she knows.

Maybe it's because I'm out to myself. Maybe I ooze rainbow vibes from the depth of my soul? I'm not sure but there's something in the air.

My 8 year old son asked what gay was yesterday and I told him which lead to lots of open questions. My daughter asked if people could turn gay or straight. I told her no, but some people don't listen to themselves so they do the opposite. She thought that was really sad. She had no idea there was homophobia in the world or why someone wouldn't follow their orientation. Oh, if the world thought like her.

I'm not trying to make this about me. I just thought it was interesting that she's picking up on what's going on. Hopefully it will make it easier when I come out to them.