1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back to my therapist search

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Dragonbait, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

So - for those of you who have utilized therapy, how much does the therapist's degree matter? MS vs PhD vs PsyD? How important is that vs say years of experience or specialty?

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences? I'd love to hear them all - dreading a long drawn out therapist hop until I find the "Right One" - feels more elusive and harder to pin down than it would be to find a soul mate!

2. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Degree doesn't matter as long as they take your insurance! I went w/the person who had the best summary of thier specialities and liked how she said she approached her treatment of clients. I did not want a totally detached intellectual. My therapist is just easy to talk to. I need to trust the person not their diploma. That's it. I was on an EMDR certified therapist website so the practitioner profiles were more detailed. Saw that she also listed LGBT issues as a specialty and a few other areas so I called. I knew after 1st appt. it would be ok.

#2 Rose27, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2013
  3. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, I strongly recommend an LICSW. Social workers are much more helping-focused and outcome focused in their training...less theory-based.

4. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Oh sure Annika, just throw another variable into the mix, why don'tcha?! And here I was trying to narrow it down. :eusa_doh:

Just kidding. Thanks for the feedback. Back to the referrals page. :dry:

---------- Post added 8th Oct 2013 at 03:25 PM ----------

And why should Rose be any different? Now I've got to go look up EMDR too. Ladies! You're supposed to making this search easier for me!

But I totally agree Rose, I've had enough of the detached approach. That didn't work out so well, I definitely need someone who is going to engage me in conversation. Otherwise I just sit there and freeze up.

#4 Dragonbait, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2013
  5. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I have a therapy appt today- I don't feel like going but too late to cancel...will hand her my co-pay and tell her I don't feel like talking. About 5 minutes later I know I'll be yapping non stop. Think she uses the same technique to get little kids to talk!
    Sign of a good therapist: Adapts to patients needs.

6. MaybeJory

I like social workers, too. They tend to be less expensive, more personable and easier to get an appointment with.

I found mine on the Psychology Today website. He listed his approach, his skill set, years training etc and that he had a background in LGBT issues. I knew after meeting him one time that he was a good fit.

7. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Made a bunch of calls yesterday and have two promising possibilities. One is a LCSW and the other is a PhD. The LCSW is in a more convenient location and (AWKWARD) I think I may have sent a message to the PhD on an online lesbian dating site late last night in the midst of an overtired, wine-fog.

Don't know for sure if it's the same person, but their thumbnail profile pics look an awful lot alike. And the locations and level of education match, and the username on the dating site starts with dr - yeah. Just convinced myself, I'll be going with the LCSW. :eusa_doh: Geez I'm so lame!

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh Dragon Bait, I love your situations! Best of luck!

9. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Gee, thanks Greatwhale. Glad someone finds it entertaining.

I just don't know what I'm more upset about - that I blew a chance at a potentially good therapist, or that she didn't message me back! :confused:

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao: Now that's a sentence you don't hear often! :grin:

#10 greatwhale, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  11. HopeFloats

That is hilarious. I'd make sure that they take your insurance. I've had better luck with LCSWs as well. And of course make sure they're comfortable with LGBT issues.

12. MaybeJory

Wow, Dragonbait, that's an awkward situation for sure!

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

It sounds like you've got a good start.

In general, an MSW (the professsional, licensure designation in California is LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker or ASW, which is Associate Social Worker, basically someone still in their 3000 hours of supervised training after grad school) does receive a different approach, in their training, to family and interpersonal dynamics. And if you find a good one, they often can connect better with clients than, say, a Ph.D. psychologist, whose training is typically more theoretical.

A Psy.D. is a more clinical degree, so those psychologists will typically have more practical training in therapeutic techniques than a Ph.D., but it depends a lot on the school and the person.

Finally, there's the MFT (Marriage and Family Therapist) in California, which is someone with a masters degree in psychology.

The bottom line is, it's all over the map in terms of quality of therapist, and, honestly, it has much more to do with the individual, the school they attended, and their particular ability to take the information you provide and synthesize it and provide (or help you find) meaningful insights than it does with what type of training.

That said, *in california*, my experience is that the Psy.D. is often the best-trained and skilled to do therapy, followed by the Ph.D, followed by the MSW, and then distantly followed by the MFT. But honestly, it is the individual person first, then the school, then the degree that is the determinant.

I've met Ph.D therapists who couldn't find a meaningful insight if it hit them upside the head, and I've met MSWs who are absolutely brilliant and almost psychic in their insight, intuition, and ability to get to the root of an issue.

14. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

:roflmao:frowning2:*hug*)
    Ha! I did something very similar this summer during a bout of insomnia....
    Turned out to be the sister of my son's friend's mom. I totally avoid her being the mature 46yo. That I am.
    If the same person I'm sure the therapist would be professional & either not say anything or talk it thru as this is her job....(*hug*)

15. Lindsey23

I know how you feel! I used to think therapy didn't work but now I know it's because I didn't find the "right one" when I was younger. I went through several before settling on one who wasn't very good.

I have a good one now though. She's a MFT and very bright. She doesn't specialize in LGBT issues though which is a downside. But when I started therapy I didn't think I would come out to her so at the time that didn't matter to me. I think being comfortable with your therapist is what matters the most. If I was looking for a new therapist I would want one who specializes in gay issues but I'm not sure I would care about their degree.

16. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Oh yeah. So glad I can provide y'all with some comic relief today.

I'd like to offer a special shout-out to Chip for keeping us all on track. :smilewave Thanks Chip!

So I've got an appointment with the LCSW for Monday. I'm really looking forward to it. She was very easy to talk to on the phone and very personable and open herself, which was nice. With the last one I felt like I was baring my soul to a black hole and getting nothing back. Even started talking to me about her own personal life, family, recent adjustments in her own life, etc. I was shocked. In a good way. So I hope you'll all keep your fingers crossed for me. I'd really like to get on with the business of sorting myself out and not just do a therapist hop. (Lindsey, your story terrifies me)

Her list of specialties are: Anxiety or Fears, Self Esteem, Gay Issues, Lesbian Issues, and the only thing listed in her "Client Focus" is Gay Clients. And the funny thing I discovered talking to her is that she's new to this area too, moved her practice here after 20+ years in Beverly Hills. :lol: So I've now got myself my very own, real, true, Hollywood Head Shrink! :eusa_clap OMG, I'm going to bore her to tears! (Maybe I'll tell her the PhD on the dating site story - that seems to be quite popular.) :wink:

Anyway, I'll let you all know how it goes. But in the meantime, any suggestions for what I should say when I return the dating-site-Doc's call? Why I now have no interest in talking to her after just calling for an appt yesterday? :eusa_liar

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no idea what you should say to her...but I wish I could listen in on THAT conversation :grin:

---------- Post added 9th Oct 2013 at 09:40 PM ----------

All in good fun DB! Old Jewish saying: those that tease you love you!

18. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

[​IMG]

19. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

:roflmao::roflmao:frowning2:!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

gw & DB I really needed the laughs!!! Thank you!!!
    (&&&)

---------- Post added 9th Oct 2013 at 07:05 PM ----------

DragonBait just tell the therapist when she calls "Thank you for returning my call but I just made an appt. w/another therapist"... Then ask her out...She soo would not be expecting that! :roflmao:

20. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Too bad EC doesn't offer a conference call room like they do a chat room - you could have all listened in as I lied my a*s off on her voicemail. :eusa_liar :eusa_liar :eusa_liar I am such a phenomenally bad liar too.

Good thing she didn't answer. I can just see myself blurting out some question about her dating site profile (yes, CB - no filter) and embarrassing the hell out of myself. Then I'd be forced to hang up on her.

What a shame, it would have been so nice to sit with her and chat every week. She is very cute. And her profile on the dating site was really hot. This whole "bad-girl-gone-mostly-good" thing. H.O.T.

Oh well, guess I just spared myself the classic 'crush on the therapist' transference step. See, I'm saving time in therapy already! :thumbsup: