1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37 and can't accept this....please help

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by cantaccept, Oct 13, 2013.

1. cantaccept

cantaccept Guest

Hi All,

This is very hard for me to write this and maybe in some way I am writing this to try and help myself and just get it out there. I know that I am attracted to guys. For most of my life I have known this but I tried to avoid it because it was easier to simply avoid it than to deal with it. This worked in high school and college and since I'm 37, I really did not grow up in an era were being gay was "ok". I grew up in the tail-end of the "gay is bad" era and "you must hide it" era. There were not gay people on tv and if there were they were not images that were positive. Anyways, since I was also attracted to women, I had a few girlfriends and successful relationships with women in "all ways" (sexual too) but every once and a while, I'd see a guy and feel like a schoolgirl hoping that I could go on a date with him. Again, I just avoided these thoughts and feelings until about 7 years ago. After becoming single (partly due to my inner curiousity about being with guys), I thought, 'ok, now i can explore being gay". I am very old fashioned and admittedly wanted something of an fantasy "bromance" that turned to "romance" with a guy that appeared straight but actually ended up liking me as much as i liked him.....As you could imagine, this never happened. After embrassing myself a few times with liking straight guys and outing myself to them only to hear the "im not gay" line, i figured i would go for the full-on gays so that I would no longer have to question. Of course that led me to gay bars and clubs and all the stuff that came along with that. As you can imagine, finding someone meaningful in that environment was next to impossible. All the while, i remained "straight" to my friends and started to avoid friends and associates when the questions started to come since I had not been seen with a girlfriend in a long time and everyone would start to ask "why are you single?". I would try and date guys but sex was usually something they wanted and not the bromance fairytale i wanted, so it never worked out. I am very afraid to have sex because I see it as the point of no return. In my mind, if i have sex with a guy, then I can no longer hold onto the shred of "im straight or I'm bi" in case I want to go back to women and in many ways i would feel like damaged goods to any woman if i decided to turn back. after 7 years, i honestly feel like i'm in the same place i was 7 years ago. Whenever, I have gay thoughts or act out on gay dating, I feel dirty or digusting and like a horrible person. This last for a while until i can mentally "avoid" and try and make myself feel better and push myself back into a safe "asexual" status. I'm very lonely. I have come out to a few friends and they have accepted me (women) and a few guys that I suspected were gay and they turned out were gay as well. Instead of feeling comraderie with them, however, i feel more apart as they seem to see being gay as a way to have great sex when they want to. This is not what i feel comfortable with, so since we do not share the same thought process, it's hard for me to really feel better about being gay or having a gay friend to turn to, because their actions only reinforce how disgusting I feel. I know that's hard to understand, but it is how i feel. I guess in the 7 year timeframe, i was hoping to meet someone else like me that was starting out later in life and could be with women if he wanted to but was trying to sort things out himself as well. This also never happened. I met people who were sexually more comfortable with theirselves and since I wasn't, it never worked. i feel like i'm getting older and i have basically isolated myself from people. I am social and used to go out a lot but going to straight events and such with my friends started to get lonely because everyone was talking to the opposite sex except me. I have been to a few gay events as well (non-clubs) but the people there, i never could identify with. The only thing we had in common it seemed was that we may have liked guys. I know there are sports leagues for gays and stuff, but i am not into sports. I'm just a masculine guy that everyone thinks is straight.

i'm grasping at straws and it is a call for help because i'm tired of feeling bad about myself and it is illogical to feel that way. however, i can't seem to stop feeling bad or guilty for simply having gay thoughts or attractions. l thought possibly seeing a counselor could help but it hasn't really and most of that may be to my resistance of "coming out", but i really think i need to focus on coming out to myself but i do not know how to do it. i accept that i like guys but i also make myself feel dirty and bad about it. honestly who would want to be in a relationship with me anyway with all my issues (gay or straight).

since i live in a major metropolitan city, its not uncommon to be this old and single because everyone else is single in later years too, but i feel like i have put myself on a "shelf" for years to avoid being fully gay and the possible rejection and pain that comes with it. I am terrified of gay physical intimacy and disease and have so many phobias about it, that i can't think anyone would want to be with me or have patience with me. i feel horrible inside although i smile on the outside.

i am not shy and frequently chat it up with strangers or anyone i think may be interesting. i force myself to go out all the time alone to places i enjoy or acitivities i enjoy in the hopes of having a good time but also secretely meeting someone. i try and get dressed up and look nice to the best of my abilities because you never know.....

but i fell so dirty inside that i sometimes think i should just focus on getting myself together before looking for someone else. i have tried that, but in 7 years i'm better than i was but still overall i feel like crap. Can anyone help or add advice?

2. SilentCreatures

You'd be surprised how many of us wanted the "bromance"

I swear that is exactly how I wanted it to happen. It never did. One can fantasize though :slight_smile:

Seriously though. From reading what you have written above I get the feeling the key issue is following through with something, because this means you have to admit a sexuality to yourself. With that reality comes a lot of preconceptions and stigma. This doesn't have to be negative, in fact it can be empowering.

We're all here to help, in any way we can. Even just to lend an ear.

I have faith that you will have success :slight_smile:

3. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Hi there, cantaccept, you've come to a good place. You certainly won't have any problem finding people who can understand here.

First question I guess I have to ask is, you wrote "i accept that i like guys but i also make myself feel dirty and bad about it". Have you shared this with your counselor? And if so, is that person trying to help you get to the root of this, or did they just nod it off? If the former, give it some time and effort, if the later, find a new counselor who specializes in sexual issues. I'm starting with someone new tomorrow and that's her focus. Cause I just know that despite knowing what I want, to truly let go of any latent stigmas and insecurities and really embrace where I'm heading, I've got 40+ years of repression to dig through and invalidate first.

If you've tried all that and the idea of sex with a man still 'icks' you, maybe you truly are either heterosexual or asexual? I thought I was asexual for a long time, because I had absolutely NO desire to have sex with men - but that was before I ever allowed myself to consider that there was another option. Now desire is the least of my issues. But I digress. One thing I did discover when trying to determine if I was truly asexual, is that you could be heterosexual but homoromantic. Or you might truly be asexual and still be homoromantic (your idea of bromance w/out the sex).

There's a whole spectrum of sexualities, you just need to determine where you're most comfortable along that rainbow. Read around here, and look up AVEN. There are plenty of people in both places that share their stories, and they just might spark something for you.

Good luck!!

4. DesertTortoise

I think feeling dirty comes from looking out though heteronormal eyes. They make everything dirty. Make us feel dirty if we don't understand where it's coming from.

Something to consider--beyond the sex, it becomes about how we see ourselves AND the world and how it's been constucted in our minds, imaginations, in our work and politics--all the above, about POWER, bottom line. We're supposed to feel dirty because there's something good in us--better than that world of oppresion and money and death. A way of loving without borders. They don't want that. They want love kept in cages.
    It's about sex, yes.That's the engine that drives almost everything else, but that
    'everything else' is more than sex. What I'm saying is--that liberating yourself involves more than your body with another body, it's your place in the world, so that the journey and work of self-liberation is also about liberating others--everyone. We queers have a unique vision of the world as outsiders. We were once the shamans, the spirit guides, the sorrerouses and oricles, the story tellers and bearers of cultural memory. For the patriarcy to succeed, we had to be silenced, condemned, made to swallow the poison of their violence and hatred. What I'm saying is--getting rid of the dirty self-contempt is more than a negative--you can't get rid of something without replacing it with something else. A new vision. A new way of being, a new kind of sexual being. Love IS the answer--if you take that in it's deepest meaning. If you take off that filthy heteronormative coat of respectability, stand naked in the wind and sun, you will shine, clothed in love and joy and laughter... it's where we really are, what we really are. Like the song... one day, you'll wake up... with wings!
    Believe it. Believe it.

---------- Post added 13th Oct 2013 at 12:08 PM ----------

And oh, that standing naked in sun and wind, clothed in love--no metaphor. I saw it. I lived that on a mountainside with hundreds of those on this journey of liberation, saw and felt the affection flowing free and the shackles of self-contempt disolve--washed away. It can happen. Believe it.

#4 DesertTortoise, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  5. Lovetoski

Lovetoski Guest

Can't-- I get it. You are attracted to men, but your whole life and identity is wrapped up in a set of heterosexual friends. (Possibly) a heterosexual work environment family etc. and here's the thing no one says--there were aspects of that life that were ( at least for me) good, joyful, fun. Yeah maybe I liked women and caught myself staring a little to long at some, but it didn't consume me. Now.. Being gay is all encompassing. I'm not saying that's bad, but every act ( including finding that special someone) has do many layersj--I have so many ( often conflicting) feelings about how I am perceived-how I want to be perceived etc. It is daunting.. And depressing. I see myself looking at people who have been gay their whole life and think-- gee they're so lucky they've got nothing to explain. But actually I think I'm probably kidding myself about that too. Hang in there. I get it.

6. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your not alone Cantaccept. Growing up when we did was scary. I'm 38, graduated in 1993. Aids was still a death sentence. Going thru adolescence coming to the realization that you might gay or atleast attracted to men during this time was simply scary. Its funny because anyone graduating high school when we did had a unique experience I think. In my high school at least, noone was having sex. They had us so scared about AIDS even the jocks would have to date a woman forever in hopes of getting any. I definitely had hangups because of this.

Perhaps you need a new counseler, take sometime for yourself and your self acceptance.

There was a book on coming out that had some good excersizes to get you comfortable with yourself. The one that helped me was reading about gay history and learning about important gay figures. Allowed me to have some gay role models if you will. Feeling good about other gay mens accomplishments helped me to accept myself.

7. flatlander48

C.A.-

You have dropped into a good space. Whatever led you here didn't happen by chance. Evidently this is where you are meant to be.

We didn't choose our sexuality; it chose us. Anyone who tries to make you feel less than good about yourself erroneously believes that we chose to be who we are. This is patently a lie and it usually indicates that they are working on some negative agenda regarding LGBT people. The thing is heterosexuals didn't choose to be hetero; they just are. Unfortunately no one questions that but they don't apply the same thought process to us.

8. cantaccept

cantaccept Guest

thanks so much SC! yea maybe the bromance is elusive. maybe you're right. when i get too close to something feeling fully 100% gay, i run. :frowning2:.

---------- Post added 13th Oct 2013 at 06:18 PM ----------

hi thanks so much for the help. to answer your question, yes, i have tried two several counselors back to back and i have tried to get more detailed explanation about why i feel like it's so bad and how i can work towards not feeling like it is bad. the next steps i have received are often foggy or something like, "you just have to accept yourself" or recommending me being coming out to more people or surrounding myself around gay men so i can feel better and have a support system but its just so hard because surrounding myself around gay men is scary when i am not "out" and not 100% sure that gay is the way for me, and i am worried these people may inadvertantly "out" me to my "straight" world or that I will be stuck with a label that after exploration may or may not fit me. But the fact remains, in 7 years all these excuses have led me to a standstill.

---------- Post added 13th Oct 2013 at 06:23 PM ----------

i can really relate to this because my whole world and expectations of me have been be shaped in a straight environment. i hear the gay jokes, the gay innuedos or slight remarks that make it seem like all gay men are effeminate or this or that. basically people stick gay men into a neatly label box and throw them all in there and i do not want to be thrown in some box. i dont want people to perceive me any differently than they do now. if they found out then instead of being "me" i'm now the gay guy and i am desperately trying hard to control that image of myself that i want others to see me as. i dont want to be hurt.

---------- Post added 13th Oct 2013 at 06:25 PM ----------

i feel the same way. i didnt chose this. i dont know how it came to be (nature or nuture, but here i am). honestly i wished i were not like this or did not have these feeling but they seem as natural to me as anything else. saying that i didn't think a guy was hot when he was hot, would be lying to myself. now all the mechanics of how i would feel and what i would feel like if i were in a relationship with him, that's a whole separate ball of wax, that feels so daunting for me. hopefully being on here will help me figure it out.

---------- Post added 13th Oct 2013 at 06:32 PM ----------

OMGosh!! I can totally relate to this because it's so true. AIDs had just started to be a big issues in the 80s and it was a death sentence and very very scary. there were no magic johnson role models or anything like that. is was very scary and basically that started during my junior high years where all you heard was about how you could die from having sex with the "wrong" person. and also it was seen as a gay person's disease. even today, its hard for me to get past the phobias of being intimidate with a guy because in my mind i think there's a greater likelihood that he may have an STI or HIV. imagine trying to date with all this stuff in your head and also being afraid that you're too slow or not moving "fast" enough to keep someone interested or around.maybe you are right at new counselor but i'm counseled out. i just feel like in general im going in circle and there's no hope or light at the end of the tunnel. not sure what to do next. sometimes it seems like i shoudl just start having sex in an effort to "figure it out" but i think mentally that would destroy me if i wasn't ready for it or if i was dumped directly afterwards. i feel really alone. its like i do not seem to fit in with straight friends anymore and i do not seem to fit in with what is considered the gay community and i'm on this journey looking for others like me that i feel a commonality with but i never seem to find them. maybe this site is the last hope.

---------- Post added 13th Oct 2013 at 06:36 PM ----------

i think that if noone would judge me for it and noone would every know about it, and i found someone that really was into me and i was really into them, i would love to be with that guy. so this makes me discount my idea of asexuality. i have put myself in asexuality as an avoidance technique. i am scared to have sex with women or start a relationship with a woman because i feel my "exploration in gay dating" has sullied me and that i'm "dirty" as a result. also, i fear that maybe i wont be phsyically excited with women anymore and that would mean i was 100% gay and as a result, i avoid pursuing this so i wont have to deal with the aftermath of what an unsuccesful intimate moment with a woman would mean to me and my physce.

9. debushed

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    cantaccept,

Sounds to me like you are getting to your "Shit or get off the pot" moment, afraid of what might come next so you just stand still. That is really no way to live, I lived that way for a long time, it will get better for you.

There will be risks for everything you do in life. The diseases can get you on the straight or gay side, you just have to reduce the risk by finding someone that has those same fears and play it safe.

I understand that you don't want to go to a therapist, some people have to do it on their own but getting there on your own can be very hard. It's a shame that we were programed that being gay or gay relationships were "dirty" when we were kids. Shaking this off with be the hardest thing you have to do.

The best piece of advice I was ever given was "it's better to be gay than ashamed of who you are", once you believe that about yourself, it doesn't matter who judges or who knows, you will be set free.

Good Luck

10. drs

drs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm 39, and just came to accept myself as gay this summer. I get all of the things that you're talking about with growing up in the 80's...

My turning point was sitting around with some straight friends, who were making jokes and other disturbing comments about gays, obviously not realizing that they were talking about ME. It got to the point where I was physically upset, and had to leave. That night was the night I joined EC, and admitted to myself for the first time that I AM GAY.

What's your turning point? What will bring you to the point where you can no longer deny yourself?

11. DesertTortoise

drs,
    ... a short tale.. very moving. You touched on the very turning point.
    for me, it was the notice of the death of a childhood friend... and realizing, only then, that I had been in love with him... and it still took me another 4 months to unpack the baggage.

12. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

For me it was hearing the story of a good friend who was in the midst of divorce and coming out and had fallen in love with another man. My first thought was that he was the most courageous person I know, my second thought was that I was so envious - I could only dream of having that kind of courage, and my third thought was to ask myself why I so desperately wanted to do exactly what he had done.

Talk about your wake-up call!

13. palimpsest

cantaccept, please here me loud and clear. There is no shame in this. There is no shame in being gay. There is no shame in feeling as you do, not even in being at a standstill. There is no shame in loving another guy and wanting to truly love and be loved by him. You are not a shame.

Guilt, feelings of dirtiness, those live and come from another source. That is you fighting with yourself. I've felt those things, still can when I'm feeling blue. Wether it is hard wired nature, or the luck of our environment, we can't change our orientation. Been there, done that, doesn't work. AND YET, we must still embrace this. We must still embrace ourselves. We must, each of us, accept ourselves which I now believe to begin by loving ourselves, including our natural orientation, desires and appetites. The challenge is coming to say, I want this. I want to be gay. I'm ok with it. I like the way it makes me feel: human, connected to other people and available to be connected to one special person in particular (if that is what you want I think it is clear, that is what you want). That begins by loving who and what you are. Believe me, you are worth it.

As to the scary stuff, thanks, that's one less thing I need to feel isolated about (graduated in '94). What if it doesn't work? It won't if you don't take the risk. Why take the risk? Because you are worth it. Love is worth it. A full life is worth it.

When I was young I was a dreamer, a hopeless romantic, old fashioned, emotional, outgoing with friends, shy with intimacy. That is not orientation, that is personality. As I become me again, at whatever pace it takes to become a unified person again, I expect I will be all of those things still to some degree or another. And I will still be gay. I intend to own it.

I might not hit it off in the clubs or at all of the bars (though I'm almost always good for conversation in most contexts). I don't know where to begin either. I've never really dated anyone longer than two weeks, except for my wife, and that is because she chased after me. I never tried, because it hadn't occurred to me, that I was fishing in the wrong pond. Then, when it was just being attracted to guys, I wouldn't have just chased after sex. That's my personality for better or worse. What clicked for me was when I realized that it is possible for two people of the same gender to be emotionally, physically, mentally...attached, attracted and deeply in love with one another. Then I got what gay is, what I am, and what I want. Then, for the first time, I started to shed my own shame. I started to love myself for the first time in a very, very long time. I started to see hope again. I started to see that I want this, want to own this and am ready to be me. That all began just 4 months ago.

There is still so much to learn about everything. Especially about love. There are things I want to change about myself, behaviors I no longer want to use. Defenses I can't wait to smash. A stiffness that I carry, and that is a by product of playing it straight. That's just growth.

Again, hear me, it begins here. You have nothing to be ashamed of. Not your orientation. Not your deepest desires. Not your personality. Let it all go. Take a deep breath. Don't be ashamed of yourself. There is dignity here, dignity in being gay. Dignity in being yourself.

14. DesertTortoise

Palimpsest

Sometimes I don't know.. just have to tear up thinking about this stuff.

Why it took so long? Why.. why .. why? Does that mean, mabybe it's not real?

NO! No more terrifying thought for me... the idea of going back... into that ugly catapiller existence. What would I do with all the love that's come flooding into my heart since? Never, never, never go back. I am not the man I was. and never want to be again.

15. palimpsest

God, I love your spirit! :kiss: Me f:***:cking neither!!! :eusa_danc

16. cantaccept

cantaccept Guest

@ palimpest: What clicked for me was when I realized that it is possible for two people of the same gender to be emotionally, physically, mentally...attached, attracted and deeply in love with one another. Then I got what gay is, what I am, and what I want. Then, for the first time, I started to shed my own shame.

i totally understand what you're saying. it was my hope that i would be able to experience this type of thing above with someone and that would make me feel more secure in who i was and what i wanted. but when i am constantly faced with sex talk, it just has become so discouraging to even remotely think that what you described above is possible for me. that maybe, just maybe, i could actually meet someone that make my feel butterflies and excitement and that feeling when you can't wait to speak to the other person and they feel the same way about you. now, i see myself settling for "that will do" or someone that i'm not fully interested in but may offer sexual attraction. i do not want that. but i do not want to be alone anymore. i dont want to settle but i'm miserable and going to sleep alone sucks all the time. i wished that i could meet that person that is awesome and that makes me feel like, "you know what its ok to be gay because look at what a terrific person i found and how i feel inside and so what if people talk about me or shun me because look at how great i feel with this person." i thought that would help me feel more secure. i know however, that noone can't do this for you, that you have to feel secure in yourself first, but i can't help but to have this fantasy. i meet women all the time that are awesome and that could offer me that fantasy but i dont have that burning weak in the knees feeling with them. then on the reverse, i just keep meeting the same round of sex addicted drug or alcohol abuser or people that do not have a job, or bitter people that have been openly gay for many years and bitter over how the dating scene has done them...there's just no hope it seems. its like everyone says : accept yourself accept accept, but then what am i accepting. ok, now if i accept i like guys and theres no shame in it i guess that's great but then what? i guess i will be a happier single person? i just wonder if being gay means dooming myself to a life of taking second best or settling for something sexual just to have some simblance of intimacy. that is not what i want, but there's so many people on EC that seem to be like me but in teh real world, i guess all of us are hiding so we can't find each other. :frowning2:

#16 cantaccept, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013
  17. Lovetoski

Lovetoski Guest

Palimpsest- you are such a great addition to this site. Thank you for your wisdom and perspective.

Can'taccept-- hang in there. He's out there.

18. SilentCreatures

I echo your words :slight_smile:

19. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think what started me down the whole "coming out" path was something akin to your "bromance" fantasy as well--I struck up a casual friendship with a nice guy, straight as far as I know, but who seemed to think I was a pretty cool guy and would go out of his way to talk to me and be with me. I felt something for him the instant I saw him across the room, and that feeling has never diminished. I'd had feelings for guys before, and certainly had fantasies, but my goal had always been a wife and kids, and being gay was not something that I could reconcile with that. That casual friendship with an attractive man who actually liked me was the feather landing on the mousetrap that started this whole thing coming-out chain of events happening. It gave me hope and made me think, maybe this could happen after all. It's still a work in progress, but I finally started to feel it was worth it, and it was actually possible.

When I first really started realizing that I was attracted to guys, the whole sex thing was a huge worry for me. It was just as the whole thing was really starting to gel in my mind that AIDS first started to creep into peoples' consciousness, and gay men were generally portrayed as a bunch of horny perverts whose entire lives consisted of random sexual encounters with strangers (and as many of them as humanly possible). Not something I could ever see myself being, so I put a huge effort into burying the feelings completely. But over the years, mainly through work, I've met so many other gay men who don't fit that stereotype. Some have been in relationships for 15 or 20 years, good and bad. Some are downright boring, in fact! The point is that we are all utterly and completely normal, all different, some with a few screws loose but still functional, some a little less so. But being gay doesn't make us freaks or put us into some weird private club where the hazing is to give up on love or self-respect. If anything, perhaps we crave it more, because we have been so starved for it.

First things first--you're not a freak. If counseling hasn't helped you, then you're seeing the wrong counselor. We're all at our own point in opening the closet door and surveying what's outside of it. The first step is being convinced that you can do it and it's worth it. I can tell you, as can a whole lot of people here, that it's a rough experience to go through, but in the end it's very rewarding and necessary. Going through your life hating yourself and thinking something is wrong with you is a miserable place to be. You deserve better--we all do--and it can happen. Really!

20. palimpsest

Lovetoski, SilentCreatures, thanks, my pre-caffinated Monday morning mood really appreciates that!

Choirboy, yet again I see some glimmer of light that I recognize from our alternate parallel universe. I had misconceptions that I could not reconcile with what I think I wanted, except what I wanted was/is so damn removed from reality (I really have had an ivory tower thing going on in my brain for a long time where I just live and ignore all sort of sh*t); but I went ahead and tried to build that life in the 3rd person. 3rd person living sucks, doesn't work well.

So here is a quote that will either hit home or fail miserably. It is bastardized/paraphrased/altered from one of my favorite theologians, Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Originally it is one of his explanations as to why God brings people to live together in Christian communities. The principle is also good for us I think. Here it goes:

We come together in this community because there are times when the queer in my own heart is not as strong as the queer in my brother's/sister's mouth.

When we doubt ourselves, don't have the strength to get through, can't figure it all out, just want to give up and run away. Whatever, that is when we need each other. To hear/see/feel that hope is real. That we are, indeed, not alone.

I vow to not lived ashamed of myself any longer. I will start to become less artificial, and more me. I will make mistakes along the way. I will stumble and falter and look for the nearest walk-in. Please keep me honest. Please listen when I'm in need. I swear to each of you, I will do the same for you in your hour of need. We are not shameful, we are worth loving. We are loved.

Happy Monday gang.