1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loving Life

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Tyler1, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Tyler1

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Love EC and all the various posts. It has been so helpful to me as I come to terms with the new me! As previously posted came out after many years in a straight marriage and then after a divorce a GF. Since then almost three and half years ago my life has changed for the better. After coming totally out, not without its trauma and tears, it was a liberating experience. Over the past year I have met and become attracted to a BF that is " stereotypically" gay. The funny thing is I am super attracted to him. I am becoming that " stereotype" myself. I have changed from the man I was to a new person. Hair style, removal of body hair, earring, LGBT tattoo ,clothing, everything! I probably swoosh when I walk and I don't care! In September for the first time I moved in with my BF. He is a professional dancer with a regional ballet in a very gay friendly city. This has opened my eyes to a wonderful gay world I never knew existed. My friends now are mostly gay, I can be affectionate in public with my BF (a major step for me). I can't believe after all these years here I am this 50 year old happy "homo". I truly love my life now. Waking up next to the man you love is probably one of the best experiences. Living as two gay men has liberated me far beyond anything I could have imagined. Sexually I have never been this content nor satisfied before. I sometimes wish having discovered my gayness when much younger.
    My only regret is that I seemed to have developed discomfort around females in general. I find the thought of having every been intimate with a woman gross. The idea of being with one actually makes me ill. (This from someone who married to one) I was kissed recently by a woman at a party and thought I was going to be sick. The only thing the female form does for me is wish I was with my BF. I know this sounds odd, it does to me. I am even working this issue through with therapist. Outside of this, its has been the ride of a lifetime. One that hope continues for ever. Discovery of self is by far the greatest adventure.

2. palimpsest

That made my day, thanks!

3. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Tyler 1-Happy for you!!!

4. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Tyler, it seems like your posting this today is an incredibly fortuitous event. I don't know if it was just me, but I was feeling like we really needed some good news on this forum right now, and just as I thought it, you posted it.

Thank you so much for sharing, it's really nice to get a glimpse of what life is like out the other side of the rabbit hole!

(*hug*)

5. DesertTortoise

Tyler1
    Oh yes yes yes!

Me too! To all of that... except women don't gross me out. I enjoy the company of women, take pleasure in seeing either beautiful young women, or awesome strong brave older women. No sexual attraction. And I pay attention to women who know how to dress, cause i love genderfucking drag!

6. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen my reflection in store windows as I walk past and have actually laughed out loud because I walk so much more like a gay guy than I ever used to. It's a wonderful feeling to find yourself BEING yourself, and not worrying about it! And the idea of waking up next to the guy you love gives me hope. Thanks for posting!

7. ss190

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tyler1 - I'm happy for you, I hope life just keeps getting better for you now :grin:

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Tyler,

I know what you mean about this transformation. It's says so much about how we feel a need to express what we are inside. I just had my ear pierced this weekend, not a big deal really, but for me, who used to be above all that superficiality, for me who couldn't care less about how I dressed, I suddenly find myself allowed to care and I'm suddenly interested in what I wear. It's freaking out the kids a little (heh heh) but that's who I am.

This weekend I spent about an hour shopping, going over some items that looked fantastic, trying things on, agonizing over what I could get and have to leave behind... Up until recently, I would have had a headache in about 5 minutes, I used to hate shopping! I still don't love it, but man, what a difference from a year ago!

I'm very comfortable with women, that is one difference between us, but it's good that you're working on this.

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What a great post Tyler! You have come a long way and it is wonderful that you have come to embrace every aspect of your life, and are truly happy with who you are. :slight_smile:

10. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great post, very inspiring! :slight_smile:

11. Tyler1

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks all for the comments. I agree with one of the posts indicating that many times there is a lot of negativity in some of the posts. This is understandable as these are extremely complex issues we face that effect every aspect of our lives. But let me offer some additional positive feedback which I don't think we get enough of.
    Having changed my lifestyle, it required me to change many other things including my appearance( not forced to, but rather my decision to take more interest in how I looked and felt about myself) My BF is into dance, so he suggested I take some ballet lessons to get into shape. At first I was not in favor, having never danced not to mention ballet. However after several months I found not it only interesting but one hell of a work out. Nothing I had ever done in the gym matched this. The point here is however that most of the men ( 17 out of 18) are gay. Some are teens. We recently had a small social event for members of the class and it was amazing to see these 15 & 16 year old boys with their boyfriends. They are so at ease , confident, open and comfortable in being gay. It was truly enlightening to meet some of these fantastic open , bright people. Makes me a little jealous having waited for so long. The other position I see is in a group I belong to that helps guys come to terms with coming out later in the their lives. I see more and more men later in life being able to accept that fact they are gay and deal with it. Many more men than we think are abandoning their sham heterosexuality and openly embracing homosexuality positively. They are not slinking behind anyone's back, they are acknowledging (certainly in some cases painfully) who exactly they are.I think for all of us this a wonderful sign of hope that things are changing. We as a society are more open to allowing open expression of one's sexuality. I am proud to be counted in this group.

12. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A nice read - this thread.
    A dream or fairy tale even - well done!!

13. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since joining EC, I often find myself looking around at other guys my age and wondering, are you one of "us"? Do you have feelings that you have buried for 10, 20, 30 years that are there under the surface, just waiting to jump up and yell "HERE I AM!!!"? There are days when I worry that I "talk too much" here, and splatter too much of my thoughts and silly stories and annoyances and feelings. (There is a part of me that certainly does like an audience, I confess!) But then I reconsider.... Someone posted recently that for every EC member there are 15 "lurkers". I think we all need to share our stories for the benefit of those 15, who might be too afraid or uncertain or ashamed to speak up, even on an anonymous forum. We need to happy stories--and the sad or angry ones too. Our experiences can change peoples' lives if we let them. Thanks again for sharing yours, Tyler!

14. Tyler1

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Choirboy I agree 100%. I sometimes think I am sharing too much. I do it only to help those who might think their is no light at the end of the tunnel. I was one of them a few years ago. My sole reason for posting is to let those guys struggling know that it CAN work out for you. We are not odd, weird, etc. I originally thought I was the only one who felt like this. Especially now as become more openly "stereotypically" gay and find it out hey its ok! Hopefully others can embrace homosexuality without the baggage, fear, concern that something is wrong. It is not, your normal, sane, and just working out a major life change.
    I wish those struggling that light at the end of the tunnel, it is fantastic.

15. Tyler1

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Had an interesting experience this weekend and wanted to share it. I was at an event with some people who knew before I came to terms with who I am. One "friend" made the comment that he couldn't believe how " gay" i had become. We had a fairly long conversation and he asked if I was acting like that to make a statement or really had changed! I certainly had thought about that question before. As I previously posted over the past year I have become less and less masculine. I was never a macho man but now I am pretty much " stereotypically" gay. I did not make a decision one day to become this way, it just seemed to evolve. Frankly I am very comfortable in the transformation that is occurring. Almost ever aspect of my life has changed, and I think for the better. While I don't intentionally wear my sexuality on my sleeve, as my BF told me, everyone knows your gay! Together I guess we make a typical openly gay couple but not for show. It is who I have become. I would not change it for the world, nor will I stop being who I am. Those days are over. Anyone with similar experience?

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We've discussed this before a while back, about whether it's an act or whether it's the "real you" finally left to shine.

There's another interesting take on this: that the whole self-actualization movement is a big load of crap. Some have argued, convincingly I think, that the "self" is a process of reflection. The self has no core!

Roland Barthes, the French philosopher described his process of beginning: "I begin producing by reproducing the person I want to be." He doesn't have a firm foundation from which his work arises, he goes on "To write by fragments: the fragments are then so many stones on the perimeter of a circle: I spread myself around: my whole little universe in crumbs; at the center, what?"

There is a book called The Performing Self by Richard Poirier. The performing self is aware of his own performance. The important point is that this performance does not need to represent some inner core of yourself. There is arguably no underlying actor playing a part, you are who you perform!

I suspect you are aware, and maybe a little surprised at how you behave now versus what you used to be. It would be easy to say that you were repressed until recently, I would argue that yes, there is some element of that, but that your "act", as it were, is mainly a reflection of your current environment, of your friendships and of our mysterious "orientation".

We all are composed of a mass of reactions to each other and to the world itself. The "self" does not exist as a fixed entity like some organ in your body, it is only a beginning... :icon_wink

#17 greatwhale, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  17. Biotech49

Ah, nice to read everyone's posts on this thread! The comment about walking past a window and seeing the reflection of your walking style was classic. I, too, have done just that. I decided that I walk like my youngest son. Then I thought, did he emulate me? I walk as if there is a purpose in life and so does he.

I've always acted butch just because. It's funny to hear my friends tell me how stereotypically lesbian I have been since I've been in high school.

It is SO good to shine! Keep it up everybody! If you haven't started shining yet, give it time. There is a star inside of you just aching to get out.

18. BiDad3

GreatWhale, we would all be so much poorer if you didn't post on EC. Seriously, your last post on this thread has just pointed a blinding spotlight on a number of my preconceived ideas. Thank you!

19. Highlander2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This really gives me some hope. Since coming out 6 days ago I have felt this indescribable feeling of 'growing self' inside me, pushing me to acknowledge my identity. It has been a roller coaster this week with my wife, but there's this feeling that I have admitted to myself the feelings I have are real and present, I can't put it back in the box. By acknowledging it I am becoming more confident in who I am.

It's a terrifying journey, but I am so not going back. Positive words on EC so far are encouraging me. Thanks.